Success with 10x5

jl1252

Elite Member
Recently acquired a Coiltek 10x5 thanks to member Thebigd81.

Took it out for a spin at my favorite park and wandered around for a few hours. The first good target was a 36 Mercury dime that was literally 2" deep. It was along the edge of a dirt path amongst some weeds that would have been impossible to swing in/around with a larger round coil.

Headed to the grassy area to see how well it would do in the trash. Picked up some clad and then hit an area where the overgrown vinca had been trimmed back about 2 feet. Skimmed the area and got a repeatable 19. Hacked my way through the wiry roots and scooped out a handful of dirt and saw a tiny silver disc with no obvious markings. Picked it up and thumbed it to reveal "...ed States of America", a wreath, and "HA.." over "DIM." Flipped it to see the top of Lady Liberty's head, a few faint stars, and a full date...1844. Only me second ever seated half dime. She's had a hard 177 year life but I'm ecstatic to have found her.

All in all, I really like the 10x5, and may never take it off. Now, if ML would do something about those pesky bent square nails I find so many of that sound just like dimes/quarters/halves.

Attachments

• half dime obv.jpg
    half dime obv.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 437
  • half dime rev.jpg
    half dime rev.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Dude you sniff out those seateds like a bloodhound! Just crazy cool old coin, congrats! 19 isn’t a “typical” silver coin range - is it because it’s so dang small?

Dude you sniff out those seateds like a bloodhound! Just crazy cool old coin, congrats! 19 isn’t a “typical” silver coin range - is it because it’s so dang small?

Thanks Jeff. I have to remind myself that most of the easy silver targets are long gone. Instead, Ive adopted the mindset that I just dig repeatable signals. I pretty much dig everything 8 and up if it repeats. Those pesky gold coins are hiding in that 8-20 range depending on denomination. What sucks is I used to pass up those 15-19 signals to avoid Zincolns, now I dig'em. My other half dime was an 18, but it was deeper, so I think it is because they are so small and thin.

Congrats on the seated and Merc. Still looking for my first seated coin. Glad to hear you like the 10x5. I have had one since Mid-April and have no plans on taking it off anytime soon. I have found a bunch of cool stuff with it and alot of coins in tight places where the stock coil just wouldn't fit. It gets ample coverage and for now my go to coil. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Jeff. I have to remind myself that most of the easy silver targets are long gone. Instead, Ive adopted the mindset that I just dig repeatable signals. I pretty much dig everything 8 and up if it repeats. Those pesky gold coins are hiding in that 8-20 range depending on denomination. What sucks is I used to pass up those 15-19 signals to avoid Zincolns, now I dig'em. My other half dime was an 18, but it was deeper, so I think it is because they are so small and thin.

Sound advice. One small platinum ring I found awhile back was a consistent 7, so maybe drop that down a point :laughing: I think I'm going to start digging more here once I can finally get some time to get out and do it. Thanks man, killer coin... just wow.

Speaking of the vdi #19, that was my last barber dime #!
I agree if in a good location to dig repeatable signals and even those that are iffy high blips.

Nice find! I want to find a half dime really bad.

I just got my 10x5 today. Can only say it reacts differently than the 11" stock coil does. I don't think it's going to go near as deep as the 11" either. Going to take some time to warm to it. Using the exact same settings I use with the 11" including iron bias I was getting a lot for falsing on iron nails. Which is one reason I never cared for the 6". It was like I could make any high tome blip sound great just by hovering over it. It was very confusing. I seldom get fooled with the 11".

I should explain what I mean by circling and hovering/wiggling makes nails sound great. Not exactly true. Should say sounds to good not to dig them. With the 11" F2-0 I could tell what was iron falsing most of the time especially on stuff 6" deep or under. Right now with this coil I can't tell if falsing nails or not. May have to up iron bias with it.

Congrats on the seated and Merc. Still looking for my first seated coin. Glad to hear you like the 10x5. I have had one since Mid-April and have no plans on taking it off anytime soon. I have found a bunch of cool stuff with it and alot of coins in tight places where the stock coil just wouldn't fit. It gets ample coverage and for now my go to coil. Good luck, Mark

Keep lookin', you'll find your seated! I agree, that its a versatile coil and still gets ample depth so I see no reason, at the moment, to go back to the stock 11".

Sound advice. One small platinum ring I found awhile back was a consistent 7, so maybe drop that down a point :laughing: I think I'm going to start digging more here once I can finally get some time to get out and do it. Thanks man, killer coin... just wow.

Got it, 7. Thanks again, Jeff.

Speaking of the vdi #19, that was my last barber dime #!
I agree if in a good location to dig repeatable signals and even those that are iffy high blips.

Yep, trying to dig everything that repeats...

NICE seated!

Thanks!

Nice find! I want to find a half dime really bad.

I just got my 10x5 today. Can only say it reacts differently than the 11" stock coil does. I don't think it's going to go near as deep as the 11" either. Going to take some time to warm to it. Using the exact same settings I use with the 11" including iron bias I was getting a lot for falsing on iron nails. Which is one reason I never cared for the 6". It was like I could make any high tome blip sound great just by hovering over it. It was very confusing. I seldom get fooled with the 11".

I should explain what I mean by circling and hovering/wiggling makes nails sound great. Not exactly true. Should say sounds to good not to dig them. With the 11" F2-0 I could tell what was iron falsing most of the time especially on stuff 6" deep or under. Right now with this coil I can't tell if falsing nails or not. May have to up iron bias with it.

Both half dimes were complete surprises because of the low VDI's. I found my first swinging the 15" coil.

Bent rusty nails is the Nox's Achilles heel, regardless of coil. Im not sure why, maybe its the SMF. It seems like it could be addressed, to a point, with FW tweeks.

Congrats!! Beautiful coin!

Thanks you!

Congrats on your Half Dime , a super find ! It's good to hear your new coil is working out for you .

Thanks, Im very happy with results so far.

Back
Top Bottom