Stash of cash found under floor

A little disappointing that no attempt to even identify the person who stashed it and their family was documented.
This wasnt just a ring dropped decades ago in a lake, it was a deliberately saved fortune with origins probably very verifiable. Even if statuates of limitation secured me as the nre owner, I think I might still contact next-of-kin and give them something. Evidently someone knew about the stash and this knowledge had somehow transferred from the original owner to others.

I live in a house built in 1930, year after the great crash...and probably in that very narrow period where many people realized maybe they should sock something away. My house has lost of little "lost corners", old masonry and pipe conduits not used in decades, and it's obvious that many little modifications have been made over the years. Our concrete shed, for instance, is also old...but obviously was built as an addition to the basement and used to have a door which opened into the laundry room. By the looks of it, I'd surmise the shed may have been added in the early 50's when this house was already over 20 years old. I also know some general info about the original owners. This entire community was built as a housing for miners who worked just over the next hill. My particular house is a ranch, not a simpke "saltbox" like the streets up on the hill have. That leads me to believe some foreman or business administrator for the mine was the first owner and some of the locals have opined the same. That would likely have been someone making enough money to put some away.

But of course that doesnt mean they didnt remove a little stash they had before I was even born! It's kind of a freak thing when stashes get forgotten and there is no one left to confirm their existence. In the story related in the OP, I'd be really curious to hear how the rumors of a hidden treasure had evolved.

Every older house I have ever lived in has always piqued my curiosity as to what could be hidden or buried in its walls or floors, old wells, barns, concrete slabs, gardens, former pad for a coal furnace, chimneys, etc.

Sounds like the former owners knew about the tale of the hidden cash , but the current owners who have owned it for a long time made a number of efforts to find it them selves ,
over the years they owned it.. If the former owners knew about the money that was rumored to be there and sold the house any way. Would that not end any claim they had to it. If the previous owners had not know about the hidden cash rumors it would be diffrent . Just my thought on it though. ( For decades, according to WFSB, the family had tried to confirm persistent rumors that a box containing thousands of dollars was squirreled away somewhere in the attic,)

Whoever owns the property at the time of the "discovery" owns it. Former owners are out of luck period. There's precedents on this.
There was a guy doing basment remodeling and found two boxes in the ductwork with over 100k in silver and gold certificates.
Former owners tried to sue to get it after they sold the house. They didn't know it was there and lived there for years. Judge ruled in about 5 seconds who owns the property owns all the property inside and out.

I'm surprised the current and former owners didn't think of using a metal detector before now. Even a basic $99 detector could have quickly found that metal box. Shouldn't be anything other than flooring nails to interfere.

I'm surprised the current and former owners didn't think of using a metal detector before now. Even a basic $99 detector could have quickly found that metal box. Shouldn't be anything other than flooring nails to interfere.

i imagine all the flooring nails might of been a issue in a older house even with a small coil . The small camera he used probably was a big help in not having to remove a number of boards.

Back
Top Bottom