Found my first V Nickle

Almann

Got out super early this morning to beat the Arizona heat . Hunted a spot I've hit before with mixed results . Vacant lots that once had homes from the early 1900s . The issue in the past has been really dry , really hard ground . That and the fact that it's been hit hard for years . In my favor this morning was rain drenched soft ground to work with . I had very little luck for 3 hours with nothing but nails , nuts & bolts , an old brass hose nozzle , pull tabs & bottle tops to show for my effort . I was about ready to pack it in around the 3 hour mark due to the heat when the Equinox rang up a solid 13 two ways right up against the old sidewalk. When I swung the Nox the other way it rang 12-13-14 . As I dropped down to check the hole I was fully expecting another pull tab . Not this time . The pin pointer barked hard around 6" down . After a few handfuls of dirt , out popped a very dark nickle . That is odd because most nickles I dig are sporting a dirty orange tint . Wiped it a little bit with a bandana and that's when I saw the stars around the edge of the coin . To say I was excited would be a massive understatement 🤘☠🤘. My oldest coin to date .
I have not cleaned it other than wiping it of with a dry cloth . I would like to clean it up for some more details . Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated !

Attachments

• Picture_20214031084024.jpg
    Picture_20214031084024.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Picture_20214031084040.jpg
    Picture_20214031084040.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Picture_20214031084049.jpg
    Picture_20214031084049.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Picture_20214331084320.jpg
    Picture_20214331084320.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 176
Congrats on your first V . That's the fourth recent one on this forum ! It also has the easiest date to read . As far as cleaning it I would and did just use dishwashing detergent and a toothbrush . Nice play by play and photos also ! A really exciting find for sure ! :waytogo:

Welcome to the exclusive and elite V-nickel club. You can learn the secret handshake now :cool:

Way to go on your first V nickel. An attaboy to you. Just wipe it off and let the lower surface dirt show off the detail. For one reason or another V nickels don't do very well in the ground. But they are always a welcome find. Good luck, Mark

Thanks for the looking in and the kind words everyone !! Going to try & hit that spot again tomorrow morning 🙂

Congrats!
Cleaning copper nickel alloys never seems to work well, I would rinse the dirt off, don't scrub and just leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom