Sorry Brad, Green Mountain MD

Hey folks!

Brad here from Green Mountain. Most of comments here sum up my position on the matter pretty well so I don’t too have much to add.

I just wanted to say that I’m incredibly grateful that you all have developed enough of a connection to my videos to even HAVE strong opinions on them. 50 comments is honestly blowing my mind.

As a musician growing up in the punk/metal scene, I can appreciate the sellout opinions- that’s totally fair. Hopefully, “his old stuff was better” will be referring to the occasional ad and not the quality of the videos overall.

I’m heading out into the mountains for some filming today, hope you all have a good one!

Brad

keep cookiin' brad! am envious of your ability to "score" all of these permissions
from the good folks in Vermont.if I can't physically be on these hunts, then I am enjoyin' the hell out of seeing 'em on the tube! pitch whatever ya want, I'll keep watchin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I guess my post went over your head... the AQ is a beach machine... a pulse detector that part of my message was towards OBN... if you notice OBN responded to me :yes:

I was basically agreeing with what you said "most do that these days" in reference to brad, he got a well known detector to use in the woods. maybe he bought it, and if not, good for him.he gets to use it ,and maybe keep it too!
apologize for the confusion.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I have zero issue with him promoting deus or anything for that matter. It’s a monetized channel. Not a sell out unless you consider all monetized channels sell outs. Guy has to pay for his high end video and audio gear it isn’t bad to promote for a product you believe in. Funny people complain about others actions on YouTube. Make your own channel then and see how easy it is lol.

This brings up another thing that is fantastic about this friendly forum.
There are no popup ads.
Many forums have so many giant popup ads that it is difficult to read text.
I do not know who owns this forum but they should be commended.

Carol and Vlad own the forum here and also have some great moderators helping to keep things running smoothly. The forum's costs are fronted by the owners and they do take in a little bit of sponsorship money from the header ads you'll see at the top of the page(s).

Another thing that helps keep the site going are forum "supporters" which are forum members that have sent Carol and Vlad donations for the site. Supporters are denoted by little badges and the supporter tag under various usernames such as KOB, Rattlehead, LoveTheShiny!, myself and countless others! Anyone looking to donate to the FMDF can do so at their own accord which I linked (it's also one of the tabs at the top of your page).

But, doing things like taking on a sponsorship or prompting ads to bring in some revenue aren't usually enough to even get a net profit for someone doing it as a side hustle, but rather to just try to cover a few basic costs for the work that does go in to building whatever brand that individual has decided to create (I speak from experience as I have done the same as GMD) should it be a forum, website, YouTube channel, or some other form of online content.

Bottom line... I think it's time I pay it forward and send a little extra support to FMDF. Anyone care to join me?

Carol and Vlad own the forum here and also have some great moderators helping to keep things running smoothly. The forum's costs are fronted by the owners and they do take in a little bit of sponsorship money from the header ads you'll see at the top of the page(s).

Another thing that helps keep the site going are forum "supporters" which are forum members that have sent Carol and Vlad donations for the site. Supporters are denoted by little badges and the supporter tag under various usernames such as KOB, Rattlehead, LoveTheShiny!, myself and countless others! Anyone looking to donate to the FMDF can do so at their own accord which I linked (it's also one of the tabs at the top of your page).

But, doing things like taking on a sponsorship or prompting ads to bring in some revenue aren't usually enough to even get a net profit for someone doing it as a side hustle, but rather to just try to cover a few basic costs for the work that does go in to building whatever brand that individual has decided to create (I speak from experience as I have done the same as GMD) should it be a forum, website, YouTube channel, or some other form of online content.

Bottom line... I think it's time I pay it forward and send a little extra support to FMDF. Anyone care to join me?

Very good post S4TR ! The way I look at it is , every little bit helps. I have been a donor for about a year now. And I give a few bucks here and there , not every month. Keep in mind this doesn't give you a turd impervious umbrella to prevent you from getting booted off. I think they have something like 55k+ members and if a small percentage donates , I'm sure it helps. You also get thanked from Carol and Vlad ! It is a great forum and I have learned alot from others and had some great laughs. I have blown $ on far worse. Which reminds me , it's time to donate !

Much ado about nothing,i respect every ones opinion but in the end if you don,t like the video for whatever reason just turn it off.Problem solved,no muss no fuss.Of course if no body complained we wouldn,t have these interesting discussions would we?I like Green Mountain,the music is worth the view so I watch,if I don,t like a particular one I change.Best to all of you out there.

No problem. I do get carried away sometimes. Guess I just like to argue! Lol!

same here, in fact there is a story about me arguing when I was younger. I was arguing with my dad over something(can't ever remember what now) when I was maybe 12 or so? Either way I was clearly getting on his nerves and he said to me "I am going to start fining you for continuing to argue" and started counting. He got to about 15 or so and I hadn't relented one bit and was still trying to get my point across...and he asked me if I wanted to keep losing money...So I said" hold on a second" and ran upstairs. I returned with a 20$ bill and slapped it on the table and started right back into it:laughing:

Recently I just commented, I thought that Green Mountain Metal Detecting was one of the classiest well produced metal detecting videos on YouTube.

This evening I'm watching his latest one in not too far in he starts to pimp for the detector brand he is using. I shut it off and it will the last view he gets from me. I guess just another sell out for some free gear. It really cheapened my opinion of him. The closest I get to social media is this forum and I know he is a member so I hope he gets the message. Gets the message. How sad. Mark

That is so unlike Brad. I wonder what changed?

I don't follow too many detecting channels and those I do are generally British..That said, I hate in video ads...I will tolerate, with gritted teeth a 5 second YouTube commercial, but once a channel starts shilling gear, I generally drop them...when Nokta introduced the Simplex over here in the UK, they were pimped endlessly by several well known YouTube channels for what seemed like months on end...

It seems a major retailer had been quietly sponsoring these YouTubers, and when the Simplex was released, they wanted their pound of flesh..One guy had what amounted to a bit of a break down/major bust up as he came under more and more pressure to produce videos of the Simplex making fantastic finds week after week...

let 'em pimp what they want most guys have been at this for years and years they "know" what works, and what doesn't.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

let 'em pimp what they want most guys have been at this for years and years they "know" what works, and what doesn't.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Hey jmaryt did you see how many views this thread got. Do you think maybe I could get a sponsor ? Get some free gear and stuff.:laughing: Seriously though after all these comments nobody (at least the ones I read ) nobody seem to see if he is pimping X brand he runs the risk of alienating Y&Z brand users. And lets not forget he was about metal detecting not selling so yeah his format went off the rails and although my opinion may be in the minority there are still many out there that chose just to not comment. Lets dig dirt and not into our wallets every time a company comes up with a new marketing strategy. Was willing to let this thread die but I just couldn't resist. Mark

We’re all entitled to an opinion, and even though I support YouTuber’s right to earn revenue, I think threads like this one are great for them to see. A little constructive criticism never hurt anyone as it might even help give content creators an idea of how much advertising is a bit too much. Not that I think Green Mountain has too much. But YT channels in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats funny to me is people from here talk about what detector Brad is using but a bunch of people on the youtube comments keep asking why his backpack is smoking even though he keeps responding he has a Thermacell fired up.
I hope he just keeps on making great content and uses or promotes whatever he feels like as that is what is fun about being your own man or women or whatever.

Watched his latest video and there's no infomercial in the middle of it. Hopefully, that's the end of his infomercial experiment.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or get into any arguments. Just want to add my 2 cents.

If it weren't for Curse of Oak Island and various youtubers putting metal detecting content on youtube, I wouldn't be enjoying this hobby right now. I remember seeing a detectorist out hunting a local park several years ago. He was doing it right, low, slow, and mowing that lawn; looking for the old stuff. I didn't know anything at all about detecting at the time, but thought to myself, "that looks boring as heck!"

Well, after watching Drayton and various youtubers over time, I finally got into the hobby three years ago.

I watch Brad, the Hoover Boys, Quarter Hoarder, and MDing East Texas with Kevin on a weekly basis. I watch others as they pop up in my feed just to get some perspective including Hiluxyota, Missouri Mike, Plugmaster Ford, and our own Detector Ben. I appreciate all of the hard work they put into it and see a variety of perspectives on their part in terms of monitizing. If it ever gets to the point where I feel the content has veered too far into commercialization where it affects the quality of seeing and learning about true detecting, I'll go find other creators to support. Other than that, certainly don't begrudge them trying to make a buck.

I cans say I've seen enough of Brad to know that he truly believes in what he's selling to his public, the Deus. He didn't start plugging it until he'd used it for a good long while and continues to religiously use it. I use an Equinox 600 and his videos provide me with a perspective on the strengths of another detector/company and how it might benefit me in the future. For that, I am grateful. That's why I do youtube and why I come here, for more and more knowledge into what has become my favorite pasttime.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or get into any arguments. Just want to add my 2 cents.

If it weren't for Curse of Oak Island and various youtubers putting metal detecting content on youtube, I wouldn't be enjoying this hobby right now. I remember seeing a detectorist out hunting a local park several years ago. He was doing it right, low, slow, and mowing that lawn; looking for the old stuff. I didn't know anything at all about detecting at the time, but thought to myself, "that looks boring as heck!"

Well, after watching Drayton and various youtubers over time, I finally got into the hobby three years ago.

I watch Brad, the Hoover Boys, Quarter Hoarder, and MDing East Texas with Kevin on a weekly basis. I watch others as they pop up in my feed just to get some perspective including Hiluxyota, Missouri Mike, Plugmaster Ford, and our own Detector Ben. I appreciate all of the hard work they put into it and see a variety of perspectives on their part in terms of monitizing. If it ever gets to the point where I feel the content has veered too far into commercialization where it affects the quality of seeing and learning about true detecting, I'll go find other creators to support. Other than that, certainly don't begrudge them trying to make a buck.

I cans say I've seen enough of Brad to know that he truly believes in what he's selling to his public, the Deus. He didn't start plugging it until he'd used it for a good long while and continues to religiously use it. I use an Equinox 600 and his videos provide me with a perspective on the strengths of another detector/company and how it might benefit me in the future. For that, I am grateful. That's why I do youtube and why I come here, for more and more knowledge into what has become my favorite pasttime.

I'm more than happy to step on some people's feet , not just their toes. There are many good channels out there and a few bad ones. What to do and more importantly , what not to do. I'm all about giving a bit of help and encouraging others , but only to a limit. People need to pay their dues.

Now let me give you the flip side of all of this. There is 1 channel out here where this clown is desperately trying to make a name for himself. He actually has some decent pointers on detecting our beaches. But , he takes it too far. Showing literally every beach , it's name , gps locations , aerial maps , beach cams , etc. Now all this is public information , but he gives a tutorial on making it easier for hunters to find. Without the hunters themselves having to put in the work. The REAL problem is these guys have to do something to maintain viewers and add subscribers. What is that ? Staging , re-creating or faking finds. I'm not even going into the giveaways ! Nearly every video this guy finds a gold ring. Sure , there is the normal trash and clad. But this is not reality. And alot of comments on some of these channels are from many newbies just sucking up.

There are lots of factors in why there are more detectorist out there. Which I could write a book about. But folks coming across channels or tv shows like this think they will be in for instant riches. So Silverhorse... how would you like to go out to your 5 favorite parks , on any given day , and see them inundated with guys digging and swinging away ? For us oldtimers.......you wouldn't.

I am not sure what the pay rate now is on youtube but it used to be $7 per 1,000 views. So Brad seems to get about 30k views on a video he makes, thus that comes to about $210. Makes 4 per month then $840. So all medal detectorist's videos are getting paid something.

I am not sure what the pay rate now is on youtube but it used to be $7 per 1,000 views. So Brad seems to get about 30k views on a video he makes, thus that comes to about $210. Makes 4 per month then $840. So all medal detectorist's videos are getting paid something.

I think it depends on the type of videos you post and/or how Google "classifies" your videos.

I'm guessing videos on products or services that are big sellers (ie, not metal detectors) are likely to get higher ad rates.

Back
Top Bottom