A real old Nickel tonight

Soil Surgeon

Forum Supporter
After last nights hunt at the old school ( which produced 2 coins in 1+3/4 hrs.) I decided I'd put in 2hrs. tonight with the Explorer with the 6x8 coil. The first 1+1/2 hrs. I dug only junk and solid signals were far and few between . I almost packed up and left but I decided I wanted to find at least one coin .
A memorial copper penny showed up shortly thereafter. Next came a pipsqueak of a high tone , the Smartfind showed all the way top right . Of course it had to be six inches under a whole bunch of crisscrossing Ivy roots.
I had to get on the old knees which I don't particularly like to do but I got a nice 36S Merc dime out of the deal ( it was caked with dirt and I didn't know which type it was until I got home and rinsed it off ) . As I was making my way back to the car I got a nice Nickel signal .I couldn't tell what it was either because it was pretty dirty and worn but I figured it was just another one of those foreign coins I had been finding there . I was both shocked and happy to see it was a V nickel I had to use my Microscopic camera and hold a small flashlight just right for lighting to make out a date ,it's an 1886 !
I also dug up a nice green marble in one of the junk holes ,unfortunately I dropped it and it's somewhere between the seats and the spare tire compartment . It would have added a nice touch to the photos , darn it !
Needless to say " I shall return" .

Attachments

• IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 511
WOW SS. That is a fine honey hole you've got there. Congrats on the Merc and V nickel. Are there other areas you haven't covered yet ? Good luck, Mark

A good write-up with good finds to go with it...congrats!

Thanks JAK

Nice find. Congrats.

Thanks Terry

Nice finds.....the 1886 "V" nickel is a scarce date.
Thank you d4c I hadn't realized it was a low mintage one !

WOW SS. That is a fine honey hole you've got there. Congrats on the Merc and V nickel. Are there other areas you haven't covered yet ? Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark ,I have covered every spot on and around that School for several years . Some spots are so devoid of signals now that unless i were to hunt in all metal I feel sure that I would get no signals at all .The day is probably coming when I may even do that (if my body can hold out) . This spot to me is what Tom refers to as a back pocket site . I have used numerous detectors and coil combinations here .The ground is very heavily mineralized and challenging to me . There are a few patches inside the School grounds I haven't been able to rehunt due to the gates being locked up since Covid .I'd really like to try out the Nox and the Explorer with the 6x8 coils at those spots .

Good story and pix. Thanx for bringing us along.

Thank you Tom , I'm glad you enjoyed the trip . :D

Wow that’s a sweet nickel and another fine hunt there Soil. Nice work!

Thanks GS ! I hunted a little over an hour. there last night and got two memorial pennies and a half a dozen pieces of junk, things are really drying up.

Yeah, I guess I missed that second pic. :lol:

It's easy to do , wait until you become an old Dude , then you'll learn what missing stuff is really all about . :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom