• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

289 Year old Home Permission

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
29dbf8ff602b9ed188c8de0eb8c2ab95.jpg

I returned gold class ring #3 to the girls school that I found and posted about a few weeks back. While I was there, I got the ok to detect another house they own that was built in 1740. It’s located across the street from a 369 year old church so needless to say I had very high hopes of pine tree shillings and my first gold coin [emoji13]I went to work with the Equinox and small coil as it’s pretty much become my go to setup. It didn’t take more than 30 mins to realize this place has been hit before. And hit it they did! To their credit they left the place devoid of pretty much everything except the sea of iron. I did manage to pull a gorgeous 1853 large cent about a foot down in the sea of rusty nails and hot rocks. This place was tough. Between the EMI from the power lines and presumably the fire house next door, the absolutely insane amount of iron in the ground and the damn hot rocks, it’s a wonder anyone could stand it for long. I ended up digging 3 wheats from a tree root and a key besides the large cent and a couple pull tabs. That was in 2 hours! The only good thing was with all the rain we’ve had this summer, the soil conditions are amazing and you can pull monster depth. Downside is the mosquitoes are brutal [emoji51]
ec0653b98f31a4e988285cbfedce2acd.jpg

aac1c84fb404b370454f427a969042c8.jpg

c73610362d78d153406f675ec1c4cdbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those photos are really amazing, congrats on the sweet LC, crazy old spot. Have you tried the 15” coil - I say that but know you said 12” deep on that coin, so maybe a moot idea. Pretty amazing hunting you’ve been doing there!

Great finds! I don’t know if you were around here when I detected my private girls school back in 2013-2015 but I found over 35 gold class rings, 50+ other gold rings, necklaces etc, over 100 pieces of sterling jewelry and 200+ silver coins and a solid gold pocket watch
b9a464c94438e782101be6fd8afa0718.jpg

29dbf8ff602b9ed188c8de0eb8c2ab95.jpg

I returned gold class ring #3 to the girls school that I found and posted about a few weeks back. While I was there, I got the ok to detect another house they own that was built in 1740. It’s located across the street from a 369 year old church so needless to say I had very high hopes of pine tree shillings and my first gold coin [emoji13]I went to work with the Equinox and small coil as it’s pretty much become my go to setup. It didn’t take more than 30 mins to realize this place has been hit before. And hit it they did! To their credit they left the place devoid of pretty much everything except the sea of iron. I did manage to pull a gorgeous 1853 large cent about a foot down in the sea of rusty nails and hot rocks. This place was tough. Between the EMI from the power lines and presumably the fire house next door, the absolutely insane amount of iron in the ground and the damn hot rocks, it’s a wonder anyone could stand it for long. I ended up digging 3 wheats from a tree root and a key besides the large cent and a couple pull tabs. That was in 2 hours! The only good thing was with all the rain we’ve had this summer, the soil conditions are amazing and you can pull monster depth. Downside is the mosquitoes are brutal [emoji51]

Those are the breaks George... I remember hunting for 2 days a 1734 mansion years ago I found a set of modern keys and 1 wheat... :lol:

Great finds! I don’t know if you were around here when I detected my private girls school back in 2013-2015 but I found over 35 gold class rings, 50+ other gold rings, necklaces etc, over 100 pieces of sterling jewelry and 200+ silver coins and a solid gold pocket watch

George was only a toddler back in 2013 :yes:

Congrats on the LC and wheats. I would hit that place again. If there is that much iron, there has to be good targets hiding in there and from the right angle that 6 in. is the right tool for the job. Nic pics. Good luck, Mark

Under a rookie dirt hunter observation I would be so excited to hunt that property , with the history and all. Only to be crushed of not finding much. There has got to be targets hiding in that iron. But it's not like a beach where you can dig it all in the sand. Unless they give you permission to butcher the lawn ! GL...

"289 yr old home/grass" ? Sheesk, here on the west coast, they make a GIANT FUSS about a church, or mission, or fort, or adobe site, that is a mere 200-ish years old. But in CT, you guys have barns, houses, and yards that old, and THINK NOTHING OF IT.

Oh, and I hate the in-situ fresh reveal on that LC. Please delete it . Thanx.

I remember it. I’ve been at this place for 4 of the last 5 years. Two of those years it was so hot and dry that I stopped going back because the plugs never survived. One year it rained a ton. This year it’s been lots of rain or crazy hot or I have the kids and can’t go. They also tore up a ton of campus and put in turf and also underground fiber optic lines all over. Some of the best spots I had done well at, were either no longer there or have “do not dig, buried underground lines” signs all over. It’s still been a good run but not like your numbers. Still a treat to hunt there as you know. Lots of silver jewelry and tons of coppers. More coppers than silvers by far at this place. Going back with the equinox and 6” coil has produced some good stuff this year but still surprised at the lack of gold. Only two class rings came from the campus. The original one I found from 1935 was a water hunt/beach find with Craig which I turned in and got permission.

Back
Top Bottom