Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Help To ID My Finds

Old 06-11-2021, 07:08 PM

Default Very old Light Bulb I think?

Anyone have any info on this find from this morning. It's quite heavy for its size. I think it may be copper due to the green color. I should have put something next to it for size reference, but it's about 4 inches in diameter from point to point on the pedals. It appears to be a very old outdoor lamp. There were actually two rectangular tabs on the inside (one detached), which I think are the two conductors that glow when turned on. There was also one small shard of thick glass in the hole. I found it about 12 inches down in an old park that has been in our town since the late 1800's.

I also found a aluminum pot with a broken handle about 10 inches down, which is my largest find since starting metal detecting a few weeks ago, but it had a broken plastic handle, so I don't feel it's very old at all. Weird that it was that deep in the ground in a park that doesn't allow camping.

I'm hoping the copper item may have some interesting history if anyone can ID it.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2021, 07:42 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by drose051156 View post
but it had a broken plastic handle, so I don't feel it's very old at all.
Handle may be a plastic-like material called "bakelite" which was invented in 1907.

Never saw a pot of that shape. Wonder what it was used for? Any writing on the bottom?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:53 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by pplinker View post
Handle may be a plastic-like material called "bakelite" which was invented in 1907.

Never saw a pot of that shape. Wonder what it was used for? Any writing on the bottom?
Stainless steel, I think that was used for boiling milk.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:45 AM

Looks kinda like a stylized floral floor lamp bulb socket. At that depth, it sounds like some fill was added to the surface. Any change in soil color going down?

Old 06-12-2021, 10:19 AM
Official Tot Lot King

It could be brass with that green patina, brass is more commonly caste for ornamental objects than copper.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:58 PM

Thanks all for the comments and interest. I tossed the pot in a trash can at the park because I thought it was junk. Didn't realize the plastic type handle could date back to early 1900's. Ooops. Won't do that again. Answer to question on dirt layers; yes there could have been about 6 inches of top soil on top of the original soil. Thanks again!

Old 06-14-2021, 05:41 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by drose051156 View post
Thanks all for the comments and interest. I tossed the pot in a trash can at the park because I thought it was junk. Didn't realize the plastic type handle could date back to early 1900's. Ooops. Won't do that again. Answer to question on dirt layers; yes there could have been about 6 inches of top soil on top of the original soil. Thanks again!
Lol when I first saw the title of this thread all I saw in my mind was this:
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2021, 05:54 AM
Elite Member

The light bulb base looking thingy looks like the base of fancy Christmas tree light from around the early 1950's that were about 4" long and had a liquid in them that bubbled as the light burned. They were rather pretty.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Old 06-22-2021, 06:17 AM
Elite Member

How about a candle holder?