Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

Default CZ-21 On Hold...Not Any More!

Well due to financial considerations it looks like my plan for a CZ-21 will have to wait for a while longer. I do still want a better machine for the beach in the mean time. I really don't need a fully submersible machine as I will probably only go in about a foot or so of water and of course the wet and dry sand. I do want a VLF machine that will work in the salt.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Elite Member

Older Sovereign XS2/Elite can be found for around $400, Sovereign GT can be found for around $600.

Sovereign with a big SEF coil is a force to be reckoned with.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:10 PM

What about a used CZ-20?

Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Does it have to be waterproof ?

I have a really nice CZ7 with 8 inch coil I am going to put up for $335 shipped USPS priority.

This unit works perfectly and is great in the wet, salt sand ( I hunt NJ beaches).

Only reason I am selling is I have 4 CZ's already and this does not get much use.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

Used machines are of course a consideration but I am really leaning toward purchasing a new unit. Warranty means a lot to me. I have been burned in the past with items that failed shortly after I purchased them and they were not worth the money to repair them. The amount of money I paid plus the repair costs totaled more than a new unit would have cost me. Since then, I try to buy new whenever possible.

What current models would you guys recommend? And no, it doesn't have to be waterproof but that would definitely be a plus.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 PM

I understand the used machine reluctance. Knowing the seller or having the manufacturer or a reliable 3rd party check out a machine helps a lot. New machines are best for sure. Check with several dealers for best prices. Dealer agreements prevent them from advertising prices below list and some do sell below list. My understanding is they can tell you what they are selling for they just cannot put it in print. You have to ask in person or by phone.

With the salt beach and shallow water hunting, you really want a multi-frequency machine or PI. PI have little if any ID and greater depth meaning digging more trash. Trashy beaches may be unhuntable with a PI as the amount of sound is unacceptable.

Minelab's Excal II and the Fisher CZ21 are the most popular units and have a large number of dedicated fans. It would be hard to go wrong with either one and they are pretty close in cost at around $1,000.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Elite Member

I got the 8". It's pretty trashy at some of the places I go.

Cliff

Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the new machine!

Welcome to the water hunting side of the hobby! Once you see a gold ring clanging around in your scoop, you will be hooked for good!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

Thanks. It will be great to have a machine that isn't handicapped in salt water. I love my ATPro, just not in the water.

Cliff

Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Congrats! I am waiting for my CZ-20 "5 to come back from repair. It is getting upgraded to a CZ-21 with an 8" coil. Hope it comes in on Saturday so I can swing it on Sunday. =)

Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Elite Member

CongratsI Love my CZ21,still learning my curves on it but it sure found me plat,gold,silver,diamond rings,still learning my Excal II,but I know I'm gonna love it as well each time I go out,one difference I love about the CZ21,no hum,,it's a quiet machine until your coil gets over a target and the low,medium,high tones,,HH and hope many Treasures for you

Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Elite Member

Post here is some more help

I bought a plugger chest mount set up, for my CZ20 last year, it's nice, I am sure you will want to get the machine off the shaft, they are heavy http://rodsbyplugger.com/ , good luck with your new machine, happy hunting, you will like the 8, my Cz20 is a 8 also, Earl Ps they are not listed on the site, you have to call for the Cz21 chest mount.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Elite Member

Thanks guys. I can't wait to try it out.

Surf Master,

I have the Fisher chest mount ordered with the unit. I guess I will see how it works first.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by deedee7 View post
CongratsI Love my CZ21,still learning my curves on it but it sure found me plat,gold,silver,diamond rings,still learning my Excal II,but I know I'm gonna love it as well each time I go out,one difference I love about the CZ21,no hum,,it's a quiet machine until your coil gets over a target and the low,medium,high tones,,HH and hope many Treasures for you
I agree! Best part about CZ's are they are dead silent till you hit a target, then BAM! I hate hunting with a lot of noise.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM

Enjoy your time with your new detector. HH2u buddy...