• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Permission Agreement ??

mcars

What kind of agreement do you make with owner when asking for permission to detect ?
Do you give the owner 1st pick, split 50/50, set a date for coins ( any coins pre 1930 are the owners ). Turn everything over to the owner & hope for a gift ?? Carry a printed agreement, sign it & give it to the owner ??
Thanks ..

What kind of agreement do you make with owner when asking for permission to detect ?
Do you give the owner 1st pick, split 50/50, set a date for coins ( any coins pre 1930 are the owners ). Turn everything over to the owner & hope for a gift ?? Carry a printed agreement, sign it & give it to the owner ??
Thanks ..

None of that. I introduce myself, my interest in detecting, and ask if they'd mind me detecting their yard. I tell them I'll show them if I find anything interesting. I've never had them want anything I've found. Usually I'll give them a merc or wheatie and thank them for the opportunity. No need to make it more complex than it is. Printed agreement?? :wow:

The last thing you want to do is show up at a total stranger's house with contracts for them to sign. That's the fastest way to get a "no". The only thing that does is conjures up images of legal hassles.

And to start talking about 50/50 splits is another good way to get turned down. The only that does is conjures up images that you're about to find valuables and treasure on their property.

A smile and verbal is all that's necessary. And I don't even mention splits . If they ask, I just say "you're welcome to anything that's found". And I have NEVER had anyone say "Give it all to me" at the conclusion.

Nothing, just getting permission is basically allowing you to keep whatever you find, and you are under no obligation to give the owner anything.
Dont even bring it up, unless the owner does.

For me it is yes or no. No cruft, no clutter, no contracts. I do carry a ziplock bag of previously dug stuff like buttons and buckles, with a toasted LC thrown in, but only show that if they ask "what sort of stuff are you looking for", and if I feel I don't it will be a no (sort of, what have you got to lose). In all honesty, it doesn't come up much.

Sometimes they say "yes, if you show me the finds". I agree to that verbal contract. I also volunteer, if it is a church or the like, to give them anything religious that seems related to the church. Something like that is more valuable to them than to me, and even tho I am personally not religious, I don't think I would melt a religious or other historically significant relic or jewelry anyway.

I am just starting out so I have only interacted with 3 permissions. Here is my take.

Like others stated in this thread, I tell them verbally what I am looking for and pretty much each one kind of had intentions of their own. My first permish said I want everything you find, the 2nd said keep everything you find and the latest one didn't really say either way.

The first one who said they wanted everything? I bailed.
2nd one, I insisted he take some cool finds, he refused, said I did all the work. Nice, just wish his property wasn't already 90% searched out.
Last one we will wait and see what comes up. I don't mind sharing. I told him if I find a pot of gold we will split it. Then I assured him I wont find gold. lol But this last one is a friend of the family so that has huge advantages.

I think you have to be face to face and assure them that you care about the property and the history. It is always about the history.

Feel them out and get an idea where they are coming from. If they resist I make it clear that I will show you everything and see how they react. If they flinch I know I have to say something like, you can keep what you like, and then I hope for the best.

I kind of view the interaction with the home owner as a side quest. You meet people, hear their stories and really, if you treat people like good people they are usually nice to you if they are capable of being nice at all. I am certainly gun shy about meeting new people and asking them for something but it is a lot like detecting, some permissions are like can slaw, some are like silver. Gotta do some digging.

The first one who said they wanted everything? I bailed. ...

Even when people say that, it rarely ever comes to fruition. What I do is to have an item that I want (a key date that I recognize, or a trade token, etc...), and when I'm laying the spread on their porch to show them, I'll push a single item to the side, and say something like : "This is one I don't have for my collection. Can this be my cut ?" And I have never had anyone say "no". In fact, they usually just push the entire pile to my side and say "keep it".

So don't be so quick to bail. And if it's a very cool site (virgin stage stop, etc...), then .... even if it's true that you had to give over "all the finds", you can still take pix, for your own show & tell , enjoyment, etc...

Example: I got permission to hunt a highly sensitive off-limits site, but the catch was, we had to turn in anything we found. No problem. And we had fun finding those reales, seateds, buttons, etc... They're in the museum now, and that doesn't bother me one bit :)

Thanks for all the replies. I never been to a private place & had to ask. Now I know how to approach. Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom