If your considering a Simplex

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
And are over 5'6", you may want to order a carbon fiber lower.

I just had a Simplex delivered, charged thing, and assembled.

I'm 6'2", and that lower shaft is a bit "soft". There's no way I'd use this in the hot sun. I bought it for strictly water, but shouldn't have to be concerned of using it in the summer of I happen to have it with me and the opportunity to dirt detect arose.

Spending another $35 for a lower is something someone shouldn't have to do to fix a design flaw, and makes an "inexpensive" option, much less "inexpensive". I'm a bit disappointed with the cheap quality of the lower shaft.

I hope the rest of it is better than my initial impression :roll:

Nokta's $299 SIMPLEX+ offers a wide array of factory accessories, including this extra long aluminum center rod for folks over 6' tall:

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/simplex-metal-detector/#/lightbox&slide=10

They also offer a carbon fiber lower rod if it doesn't already come with one:

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/simplex-metal-detector/#/lightbox&slide=13

Should you need to buy these things? Maybe not, but it's nice to have factory options available at prices far less then aftermarket options. I bought an Equinox 800 as soon as they came out, mine's all stock and it hasn't had any problems, but many others upgrade the rods and whatnot (with no accessories like these available from the manufacturer).

The main thing is that the Simplex is a firecracker of a detector for the paltry price :mder:

Nokta's $299 SIMPLEX+ offers a wide array of factory accessories, including this extra long aluminum center rod for folks over 6' tall:

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/simplex-metal-detector/#/lightbox&slide=10

They also offer a carbon fiber lower rod if it doesn't already come with one:

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/simplex-metal-detector/#/lightbox&slide=13

Should you need to buy these things? Maybe not, but it's nice to have factory options available at prices far less then aftermarket options. I bought an Equinox 800 as soon as they came out, mine's all stock and it hasn't had any problems, but many others upgrade the rods and whatnot (with no accessories like these available from the manufacturer).

The main thing is that the Simplex is a firecracker of a detector for the paltry price :mder:

Thanks for the info Cal. I'm a bit different, I guess. Having to spend money on something new in order to "upgrade" it to the way it should have came, just leaves me feeling a bit "taken".

No different than when Garrett came out with the ATP, and charged people to upgrade the faulty camlocks.

Nokta should just replace the lowers and up the price, at least you'd be getting what you paid for, and not some wobbly noodle. I honestly can't wait until a 100* day this summer. I should set it on the picnic table and time lapse video the shaft turning into an "L".

No sir, I wont pay extra to get the quality I should have gotten to begin with. I wouldn't buy a new car with 4 flat tires only to have to buy new ones.

I'll either make a shaft myself, or just use it in the water, either way, not another penny of my money.

ETA: I have a Tesoro Compadre that was less than half the cost of the Simplex. The shaft is aluminum, and has no flex.

Thanks for the info Cal. I'm a bit different, I guess. Having to spend money on something new in order to "upgrade" it to the way it should have came, just leaves me feeling a bit "taken".

No different than when Garrett came out with the ATP, and charged people to upgrade the faulty camlocks.

Nokta should just replace the lowers and up the price, at least you'd be getting what you paid for, and not some wobbly noodle. I honestly can't wait until a 100* day this summer. I should set it on the picnic table and time lapse video the shaft turning into an "L".

No sir, I wont pay extra to get the quality I should have gotten to begin with. I wouldn't buy a new car with 4 flat tires only to have to buy new ones.

I'll either make a shaft myself, or just use it in the water, either way, not another penny of my money.

ETA: I have a Tesoro Compadre that was less than half the cost of the Simplex. The shaft is aluminum, and has no flex.

well you should put your self in my shoes I am 7 ft 1in and I have to have special made shafts for every detector I swing pretty much, is that the manufacturers fault no, I also had to purchase the longer middle shaft and upgrade the lower shaft to the carbon fiber shaft for the simplex plus that I purchased for my grandson, why you ask because he is 6ft5inches tall is that Nokta/Macros fault absolutely not both those upgrades were less then $60. it could have been worse I could have purchased him a equinox and then had to spend another $150 to upgrade the shaft because of the poor build quality, both those upgrades are well worth the little bit of cost to do in my opinion the simplex plus is well worth the money as is, yes I agree Nokta/Macro could have included the carbon fiber shaft with it but they did not, but you would most likely have to spend the extra $25. on the longer middle shaft to get it to the length you are comfortable with.

one other thing there was plenty of info on this very subject on every forum out there, and I knew going in that I could possibly have to upgrade the lower shaft to the carbon fiber lower so it is not like you could not have read about this issue it was stated again on several forums

big 'un

I'm 6'5" and I bought the longer center shaft for my simplex. I'm used to paying extra for items that fit. The carbon fiber shaft is the same length as the factory one think. Otherwise I'm very pleased.

well you should put your self in my shoes I am 7 ft 1in

Well, I could but odds are I'd step right out of them :lol:

I'm 6'5" and I bought the longer center shaft for my simplex. I'm used to paying extra for items that fit. The carbon fiber shaft is the same length as the factory one think. Otherwise I'm very pleased.

To both replies above.

My issue is NOT the length of the center or lower shafts. They are not completely extended, causing the issue.

The problem is in the cheap thin plastic the lower shaft is made from. You can flex it with one finger.

Lower shaft is simply cheap junk. There's no other way to put it. Had the lower been made from the same material as the middle, there wouldn't have been an issue.

Instead of correcting an extremely poor design flaw, they want the consumer to eat the cost of it.

Maybe they will, but not this one. Like I said, not another penny to them from me.

To both replies above.

My issue is NOT the length of the center or lower shafts. They are not completely extended, causing the issue.

The problem is in the cheap thin plastic the lower shaft is made from. You can flex it with one finger.

Lower shaft is simply cheap junk. There's no other way to put it. Had the lower been made from the same material as the middle, there wouldn't have been an issue.

Instead of correcting an extremely poor design flaw, they want the consumer to eat the cost of it.

Maybe they will, but not this one. Like I said, not another penny to them from me.

well that is your choice have you contacted Nokta/Macro maybe you just got one that just got past them mistakes do happen they might just send you a new lower shaft what you describe on yours is quite different from what was on the one I purchased for my grandson the lower on his seemed quite stiff to me even fully extended, but I had read about the issue and did not want to take a chance so I purchased the Carbon fiber lower which I will say is well worth the $35 it also lightened the whole detector a little bit but not enough to matter much as I added the weight back in by adding the longer center shaft

To both replies above.

Nokta/Makro perhaps built the lower shaft purposely with flex to prevent shock to the coil ears when the coil hits something hard. Think positive. Those needed shaft accessories are going to cost less than a tank of gas.:laughing:

well that is your choice have you contacted Nokta/Macro maybe you just got one that just got past them mistakes do happen they might just send you a new lower shaft what you describe on yours is quite different from what was on the one I purchased for my grandson the lower on his seemed quite stiff to me even fully extended, but I had read about the issue and did not want to take a chance so I purchased the Carbon fiber lower which I will say is well worth the $35 it also lightened the whole detector a little bit but not enough to matter much as I added the weight back in by adding the longer center shaft

Contact them for what exactly? You think they don't know?

A search here was something I should have done prior to buying:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=288667&highlight=Simplex+Shaft

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=284227&highlight=Simplex+Shaft

(ETA: Google: "nokta simplex lower shaft flex" for more)

Looks like it's an ongoing problem. You'd think after more than a year, they'd have corrected it. I guess customer satisfaction isn't a concern.

O wish I had a way to post video. I set it on the counter, and used my little finger, and could bow the shaft easily more than an inch. The weakness is fore and aft, not side to side. It's an inferior quality part. There are no if, ands, or buts.

Nokta/Makro perhaps built the lower shaft purposely with flex to prevent shock to the coil ears when the coil hits something hard. Think positive. Those needed shaft accessories are going to cost less than a tank of gas.:laughing:

LOL, like a built in shock absorber?

Gauntlet did you purchase new or used I am just saying you could have a bad lower shaft things do get past people in quality control if you happened to get a bad lower shaft then maybe Nokta/Macro might correct the issue but if you are unwilling to even bring it up to them how are they able to correct the issue

I am telling you from the purchase of the simplex plus for my grandson his did not have that issue even when fully extended to get the stock shaft to bend on his I literally had to take it in both hands and try to bend it with a lot of force even then it had very little flex you may have got a defective lower shaft

Gauntlet did you purchase new or used I am just saying you could have a bad lower shaft things do get past people in quality control if you happened to get a bad lower shaft then maybe Nokta/Macro might correct the issue but if you are unwilling to even bring it up to them how are they able to correct the issue

I am telling you from the purchase of the simplex plus for my grandson his did not have that issue even when fully extended to get the stock shaft to bend on his I literally had to take it in both hands and try to bend it with a lot of force even then it had very little flex you may have got a defective lower shaft

Brand new, even sprung for WP headphones.

I'm not doubting what you're saying.

I'd just put it back on the counter, and using my "pinky" vertically, I can easily flex the lower shaft nearly 2". It's pathetic how weak it is.

Can I upload a 5 second video here from my computer? Never done video before, but my digital camera will take them.

I’m with you. I thought mine had a bit too much “flex” when I first got it. But after using it out in the hot sun, it was like a wet noodle. I’m average height at 6’ tall so I didn’t have it over-extended. I still think the Simplex is a good detector at a great price. Matter of fact it’s what I always suggest to those who want to get into the hobby on a budget. But I agree with you.. that lower shaft is a problem that needs addressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m with you. I thought mine had a bit too much “flex” when I first got it. But after using it out in the hot sun, it was like a wet noodle. I’m average height at 6’ tall so I didn’t have it over-extended. I still think the Simplex is a good detector at a great price. Matter of fact it’s what I always suggest to those who want to get into the hobby on a budget. But I agree with you.. that lower shaft is a problem that needs addressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm NOT crazy :laughing:

I stood it up on the coil, and measured from the floor to end of arm cuff. 51"

I know I have at least 3-4" of the lower shaft into the mid shaft.

I'm either going to find something to put in it for stiffening, or try shooting some expanding foam in it, then silicone an inch of the end to prevent waterlogging the foam.

I spent about $25 for a carbon lower shaft for my Simplex. It was an improvement especially when using the standard coil. With the smaller SP24 the original shaft was ok.

Speaking of shafts, i think cheapness really shines through with the Minelab Equinoxes. They cost up to 4 times the cost of a Simplex and come with the same style awkward, hard to adjust shaft as the $100 Bounty Hunter i started with.

So I'm NOT crazy :laughing:

Well I in no way said you were crazy and what you said about the lower shaft on your simplex plus would drive me crazy but I never experienced what you did on the one I purchased for my grandson and you are correct there was a lot of post put up about it being flimsy so I ordered the carbon fiber lower shaft for my grandsons Simplex plus even had the new shaft before the detector arrived, I will tell you though I have done the same thing you are suggesting that you are going to do by putting expandable foam inside a detector shaft all I will tell you is be careful because I have had them split completely open because I got to much inside

As some one else said my grandson uses the carbon fiber shaft on the larger coil and he also received the 9.5x5 inch coil free which he mounts on the stock shaft makes it quick and easy to do a coil change no messing with lining up bolt holes

Well I in no way said you were crazy and what you said about the lower shaft on your simplex plus would drive me crazy but I never experienced what you did on the one I purchased for my grandson and you are correct there was a lot of post put up about it being flimsy so I ordered the carbon fiber lower shaft for my grandsons Simplex plus even had the new shaft before the detector arrived, I will tell you though I have done the same thing you are suggesting that you are going to do by putting expandable foam inside a detector shaft all I will tell you is be careful because I have had them split completely open because I got to much inside

As some one else said my grandson uses the carbon fiber shaft on the larger coil and he also received the 9.5x5 inch coil free which he mounts on the stock shaft makes it quick and easy to do a coil change no messing with lining up bolt holes

I never meant to insinuate you did, I was making a joke. LOL, besides , I've been called crazy before, my feelings don't get hurt that easily.

The thing is, Nokta KNEW there was a problem. I even saw a video about the little plug they made to stop the shaft wobble. I checked, and mine has the plug.

To restate, my problem is not "wobble", it flex, which the woman from Nokta even acknowledges in the video. Wobbling, being flimsy...her exact words.

Yet here I am, new Simplex delivered yesterday, and lower shaft is a piece of cheap plastic junk that I either have to pay out of my pocket to replace or reengineer to resolve their failure.

Every one of these should have been recalled and a new lower shaft replaced. Nope, that would take away from their profits, better to let the suckers who buy them pay for Noktas failures. Then they can profit even more from the solutions to the failure they created and let continue.

There are different types of expanding foam, which expand at different rates, such as low-expansion, for doors and windows, so it doesn't bow framing/jambs and cause clearance/sticking issues.

I purchased a Simplex for my son-in-law and the first thing I noticed was the flimsy lower rod.

Steve

I purchased a Simplex for my son-in-law and the first thing I noticed was the flimsy lower rod.

Steve

I'm going to attempt to at least snap a couple pics to post today, to show how bad it is.

From Nokta's site on the Simplex page:

"You cannot afford a high-end detector but you simply want extreme depth and basic features of a high-end device?"

I would consider the shaft being one of the more basic features that needed at least enough substance as to not flex under the weight of it's coil.

iu

Back
Top Bottom