Odd iron item from backyard

Metalsguy

Wonder if anyone has a clue about the rusty iron piece I found a few days ago. Almost looks like something that could be related to a bridle or the like, but I doubt those were iron. For interest, I also included the early '50s WWII plane I dug. Have found a lot of old kids' toys back there! For reference, my one-acre yard is part of a post-WWII housing area. Not sure what was here before my house was built in 1949. Anyone have any thoughts?

2v2a8a6YNx9jnnR.jpg

2v2a8a67rx9jnnR.jpg

Going to put this out there one more time to move it to the top of the pile. Can I assume that no one knows what this is? Maybe too much of it is gone to identify? Still curious, thanks!

Saw this when you first posted it but I couldn't settle on any ideas in my head. The second picture almost looks like two horse shoes welded together in decoration. Have you tried to clean it up at all? Any history or info about the site?

Thanks! I guess if it was buggy linkage, it makes sense it could have been iron/steel. I was thinking more like something for the reigns, and it seems like that would have been bronze ... but what do I know about horses.

The site is in a small development with my house being built in 1949. There is a main "farmhouse" on our street that was supposedly built in 1880. Because of the hilliness and massive trees (older than 1880, I think), I doubt there was a lot of farming in the area that I found this, but there could have been horse and buggies through that area since the 1880 farmhouse is visible from where I found the item.

I can try to clean it up more, but it's mostly scale, not dirt. So, cleanup will involve removal of rust/metal.

My guess is that it pulled something. Assuming it use to be symmetrical, the left side (in top picture) looks bent and missing that inside loop piece. As if it got pulled too hard and broke. Also, the two hook looking pieces appear that they use to have a latch over the mouth of the hook, similar to lifting hooks.

Back
Top Bottom