Need Some Advice On New Detector

kkarl

Hello all, I know that this subject has been asked more than you can shake a stick at. Please bear with me.

I'm new to this hobby and need some advise on which detector would be right for me.

I'd be detecting on land, no real water hunts and in good weather.

I'd be hunting for coins 99% of the time and perhaps relics.

So what would be the best turn on and go detector for a tech dummy like me.

Thanks so very much!

Best

Greg

The 440 is a great turn on and go detector. If you have the cash tho and wanna go a big step forward,still turn on and go is the equinox 600. Very easy to run, and has a little adjustment if you'd like . I'm not a tweaker by no means,I hate adjusting any metal detector. But I don't mind the equinox 600,,it's easy and very high end imo.. you won't regret that buy

Both machines mentioned are very nice machines. Here’s my opinion.
Most people on this forum have some time under their belt with metal detectors, some way more than others. When I started 10+ years ago I also knew absolutely nothing about detectors. I’m glad I didn’t.
These machines mentioned have multi frequency operation, quite a few options and adjustments, multi tone audio, etc. I started with a single tone, single frequency machine, a Whites IDXPro, hence my username. Over a period of 2 years that machine was able to teach me ALOT about target response, how coins should “act”, how applying various amounts of discrimination affects target response…I was just able to learn very good “detecting basics”. Then, after I moved on to a multi frequency machine which was WAY more involved, I still had that solid foundation of basics to work with. I’m saying this because a nice used Whites like mine can be bought for 125-200$, depending on the day.
Without you knowing whether or not this detecting thing will even appeal to you, I would suggest starting with a used machine. Better yet, you could even go rent one for a day from your local hardware store. It won’t be a machine that will find you the deepest and most difficult of coins, but it will find coins. Just go swing it and see if this idea even appeals to you. If it does, you can buy your own. If it doesn’t, you take it back and move on. What you do NOT want to do is have 3-400$ into a machine and find out you don’t like detecting! That would just be a waste.

I have been detecting since 1995 and started with a cheap, basic detector.
That helped me before moving on to more complex detectors.
My vote is also the Minelab Vanquish 440.
Get some cheap wired headphones and a good pinpointer like the Garrett.
That 440 will be a good backup detector if you buy a more complex one in the future. The pinpointer will keep you from becoming frustrated digging small targets.

Many thanks all for all your great comments and advise. Very much appreciated.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has suggested the Nokta Simplex.

I've heard a lot of good things about this machine, but it looks like the Minelab is the machine of choice.

Again, thanks!

Greg

Many thanks all for all your great comments and advise. Very much appreciated.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has suggested the Nokta Simplex.

I've heard a lot of good things about this machine, but it looks like the Minelab is the machine of choice.

Again, thanks!

Greg

The Simplex is a good machine, but the Vanquish is easier to use and works VERY well.

Steve

Welcome! Your style of detecting sounds a lot like my own. Personally, I love detecting with my Garrett Ace 250. It's simple to operate, easy to learn, and functions very well. Although the Ace 250 is no longer in production, I don't hesitate to recommend the upgraded version, the Ace 300 (available on Amazon for $270 with accessories).

As a side note, if I were in the market for a slightly more advanced detector, I would be apt to go with the Garrett Apex. Although it hasn't seen a lot of acclaim on this forum, the Apex looks to me like a very capable machine with intriguing qualities. (If you're interested, you can compare it with the Simplex & Vanquish using this chart).

Whatever detector you choose, the important thing is that you enjoy it. Go with one that you feel best suits your desires, and please let us know what you think of it! :fmdfwelcome:, and thanks for joining us!

Thanks looks like the 440 is what will do the trick for what I'm after.

Thanks!

Greg

Welcome! Your style of detecting sounds a lot like my own. Personally, I love detecting with my Garrett Ace 250. It's simple to operate, easy to learn, and functions very well. Although the Ace 250 is no longer in production, I don't hesitate to recommend the upgraded version, the Ace 300 (available on Amazon for $270 with accessories).

As a side note, if I were in the market for a slightly more advanced detector, I would be apt to go with the Garrett Apex. Although it hasn't seen a lot of acclaim on this forum, the Apex looks to me like a very capable machine with intriguing qualities. (If you're interested, you can compare it with the Simplex & Vanquish using this chart).

Whatever detector you choose, the important thing is that you enjoy it. Go with one that you feel best suits your desires, and please let us know what you think of it! :fmdfwelcome:, and thanks for joining us!

Thanks so much for the very kind welcome and advise!

Very much appreciated.

Best

Greg

The 440 is a a very good detector, I know from personal experience. I would highly recommend th Quest X10 also. I prefer it when hunting modern parks and it's submersible if needed later. Very under rated, great detector for $200 giving you enough savings to buy a good pinpointer too.

I just want to emphasize the advice on getting a good pinpointer. This is often overlooked by new people and I like many started off with a cheap Chinese pinpointer. When I finally upgraded to a quality pinpointer my finds when up. A quality pinpointer makes it much easier to find the target in the hole saving time and effort.

Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom