• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dr Otek clones

Clint in KY

I have been waffling about what MDer I want to replace the F4 I sold some time ago. I was between the Simplex and the F22. Then I started reading all the hoopla about the Dr. Otek machine. A quick look at Amazon shows a number of non brand name detectors that look remarkably like the Dr. Otek, but at much lower prices. The Otek runs about $150 or so, with the others in the $80 to $100 range.

I am a casual detector and being on a retiree's fixed budget, these "cheapies" cannot be ignored. Being a Prime member means no shipping on the purchase or the return if need be. I realize I will not be the "cool kid" in the group, but if it works, it works.

I can think of a lot of negatives, but can anyone find a positive other than the low cost?

I heard it works. BUT most times buying a quality item is worth the money. You can buy a good used one too for less $. Keep in mind each hunt will cost fuel etc. so a good detector used many times doesn't really cost a lot per outing. If it detects one good find that the other misses for whatever reason that find could pay for it. Plus you're doing this for your enjoyment so get something that you'll get the most from.

I looked at the link, and the coil *resembles* a double-D coil, but I don't think it actually is.

Word of warning: Amazon sellers can say pretty much whatever they want without fear of Amazon acting on complaints of misleading text or pictures. I discovered that when I complained about a top-of-the-line Agilent meter, where the model number was one thing, but the picture was actually of the next model up.

Some of the forum sponsors probably have some lower cost metal detectors with some actual real companies backing them up. Cheap metal detectors on Amazon *may* work, but then again, they have a better chance of NOT working than known brands. Amazon support is not something I would count on.

-- Tom

Unless you are walking or biking to your detecting locations, fuel is now the most significant detecting expense. When we spend money on fuel, we want to hit the ground with a good, dependable detector that will find targets. Otherwise, we are just wasting money and time.

Dr. Otek makes their own detectors. The clones don't compare. Prior to the pandemic the Dr. Otek detectors were $99 too. They're releasing a new one very soon. They expect it to hit Amazon in July.

I have a forum thread here about my experience with the MT-XR. I now have a Simplex but if the new Dr. Otek is under $200 I might purchase one to see how well it works. It's supposed to be a dramatic improvement over the MT-XR and will have a few coil choices.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=274807

Dr. Otek makes their own detectors. The clones don't compare.

^^I agree. I reviewed a few different entry level (~$100) detectors for my grandkids including the MT-XR and the newest one they're releasing soon. The Dr. Otek detectors were far better than the other ones I tried in that price range. My grandkids are still using both of them, and they continue to work well.

Back
Top Bottom