Looking to get a new shovel, what should I go with?

Redwaller

At some point in the future I'll probably get a proper shovel, the Home Depot thing I have has at least not broken under my care but really struggles with roots and the like.

The general consensus seems to be to go with predatortools but their website has literally dozens of options, and it's not at all clear what the differences are. Should be clear though, I'm looking for a full size shovel, I have a perfectly decent hand digger already.

Price is at least a little bit of a concern, as well.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I like the Predator Tools Barracuda. The blade is a little longer and wider than the Sampson, yet not way big like the Ranger. Perfect size for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only had experience with one actual shovel but i have been very happy with it.
It's a Lil' Digger. About 30" long and was $40.

Grave Digger Tools makes some pretty nice shovels , I have their Nemisis shovel , its very sturdy . Here's the link , they are in Ohio .

https://gravediggertools.com/

I wish they didn't use square stock for the handles, makes them super uncomfortable. My digging buddy has one and I was not a fan when I tried it.
Edit: with that being said though, they do seem to be bulletproof like the predator tools are

I like the Predator Tools Barracuda. The blade is a little longer and wider than the Sampson, yet not way big like the Ranger. Perfect size for my needs.

Thanks for the suggestion, it seems like a good one.

I second the Barracuda vote, only shovel I have not broken.

Apparently a very good one.

Grave Digger Tools makes some pretty nice shovels , I have their Nemisis shovel , its very sturdy . Here's the link , they are in Ohio .

https://gravediggertools.com/

Thanks for the suggestion! Though I'm inclined to agree with Tpmetal about the square handles looking uncomfortable.

I've only had experience with one actual shovel but i have been very happy with it.
It's a Lil' Digger. About 30" long and was $40.

Thanks for the suggestion! Probably the cheapest shovel so far, so I'll think about it.

I wish they didn't use square stock for the handles, makes them super uncomfortable. My digging buddy has one and I was not a fan when I tried it.

Yeah, that does sound like an issue, especially considering I tend to carry my current shovel right in the middle where those ones are square. Thanks for the help.

I just went to their website and it looks like they're using round stock for the handle now, very similar handle to the sampson.

OP, i have a Lesche 31" T Handle Sampson Shovel -Double Serrated, and their smaller Lesche Mini Sampson 18 and like both a lot. The foot stomp area on them are not very large, so sometimes I find it a little troublesome if there is a rock or something in the ground before I realize it. But i'd not hesitate to get either again. Attached a pic of my trio.

Also saw Garrett has a new one out; https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=292979 was posted about here.

There are a lot of shovel options for sure.

Attachments

• gd-shovel.jpg
    gd-shovel.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
I just went to their website and it looks like they're using round stock for the handle now, very similar handle to the sampson.

OP, i have a Lesche 31" T Handle Sampson Shovel -Double Serrated, and their smaller Lesche Mini Sampson 18 and like both a lot. The foot stomp area on them are not very large, so sometimes I find it a little troublesome if there is a rock or something in the ground before I realize it. But i'd not hesitate to get either again.

Also saw Garrett has a new one out; https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=292979 was posted about here.

There are a lot of shovel options for sure.

That is great news actually! cause the rest of the shovel is built well it seems

Seems pretty consistent that people like shovels that are perfectly straight and don't have much if any scoop-ness? to them. Like normal shovels have kind of like, a spoon shape to them, and detecting shovels don't. Curious as to the exact reasoning of that but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Of the shovels suggested I think I'll be going for either the Sampson (cheaper, but blade seems kinda small) or the barracuda (seems the best of them for what I do)

I don't really want to spend a lot on a shovel, so I guess I'll ask, how much of an improvement is a good shovel for detecting?

Seems pretty consistent that people like shovels that are perfectly straight and don't have much if any scoop-ness? to them. Like normal shovels have kind of like, a spoon shape to them, and detecting shovels don't. Curious as to the exact reasoning of that but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Of the shovels suggested I think I'll be going for either the Sampson (cheaper, but blade seems kinda small) or the barracuda (seems the best of them for what I do)

I don't really want to spend a lot on a shovel, so I guess I'll ask, how much of an improvement is a good shovel for detecting?

It is a great improvement for efficiency in digging. Also consider this, if you buy low quality you might end up buying twice. Or in my case 4 or 5 times until I decided to pony up and lay down the cash for a properly built heat treated shovel.

At some point in the future I'll probably get a proper shovel, the Home Depot thing I have has at least not broken under my care but really struggles with roots and the like.

The general consensus seems to be to go with predatortools but their website has literally dozens of options, and it's not at all clear what the differences are. Should be clear though, I'm looking for a full size shovel, I have a perfectly decent hand digger already.

Price is at least a little bit of a concern, as well.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

If for mostly public hunting, get the Sampson 31" or 18" shovel. I expect your Home Depot is basically discreet in length. Either of these Sampsons should make you happy, and cost $60 plus or minus. I prefer the 31" but own both, with lots of hours on each.

I guess just for reference, this is the Home Depot. I don't remember if it came from Home Depot specifically, but definitely a store like that. Blade is 8 and a half inches long, 27 inches total. I don't abuse it, so it's been durable enough so far, but it's often hard to get it into the ground the whole way, and probably because of that, has often seemed rather short for deeper signals. You can pretty much see with the wear pattern, where it tends to stop.

Attachments

• shove.jpg
    shove.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 690
I guess just for reference, this is the Home Depot. I don't remember if it came from Home Depot specifically, but definitely a store like that. Blade is 8 and a half inches long, 27 inches total. I don't abuse it, so it's been durable enough so far, but it's often hard to get it into the ground the whole way, and probably because of that, has often seemed rather short for deeper signals. You can pretty much see with the wear pattern, where it tends to stop.

That blade is really too wide for full depth use, unless in fields.

Ah so that's why, then. Why exactly is the width responsible here?

Cuz the public sees a hole being dug by a full depth stab with that shovel, a three sided hole for sure, is alarming to the lookie-lous. You could plant a small tree in that first dig. JMPO

Our shovels need to be close to surgical tools. Our pinpointer locating technology now shouldn't require a 12" radius hole, unless the pinpoint depth says it is a 12" target. Those signals don't happen that often.

Don't make bigger holes to begin with than necessary. There ain't nuthin wrong with the width of a Sampson blade.

Cuz the public sees a hole being dug by a full depth stab with that shovel, a three sided hole for sure, is alarming to the lookie-lous. You could plant a small tree in that first dig. JMPO

Our shovels need to be close to surgical tools. Our pinpointer locating technology now shouldn't require a 12" radius hole, unless the pinpoint depth says it is a 12" target. Those signals don't happen that often.

Don't make bigger holes to begin with than necessary. There ain't nuthin wrong with the width of a Sampson blade.

+1

Feel like I've just been accused of something lol. And while I am kinda bad at pinpointing, I'm not digging craters or anything? And I've dug plenty in public areas, never once had anyone take issue to me digging holes?

(well correction: there was one irate middle school football coach who threatened to call the cops on me but I could have been carrying a spoon to dig with and that guy likely would have reacted the same. Honestly given how intimidating looking the serrated shovels are, he might have reacted worse had I had something like a sampson.)

Anyway, so long as it goes back neat, does it even matter how large the hole is?

Back
Top Bottom