Minelab pinpointer users problem solved

DFX-Gregg

Elite Member
I just purchased a Minelab Pro pointer 20 new for $60 shipped. Popped the box open yesterday and put a fresh battery in and headed out after testing. After turning it on the issues started. It worked fine one time and then would not work, and volume was low. So as I am not a big pin pointer user...decided no big deal...and kept detecting...well to be honest I was pissed as my white's bullseye 2 (old reliable) finally died and the bounty hunter I picked up for $10 was/is terrible...

So when I got home... my wife picked it up and shook it... You could hear the battery moving!

Because a lot of these pin pointers rely on contact that is the issue...cap was tight new battery.

Simply opened it up.. cut a small piece of foam the shape of the end of the battery...put in cap and now...it is accurate and LOUD... Taking out to the field today or tomorrow... to test...

But pretty sure that was it...no movement now...just a common sense solution...

What type battery? I am guessing it was a 9V. Otherwise, foam would not allow the ground connection. I keep a quarter or larger metal coin inside my caps on my pointers. Done it from almost day1.

Update on my Minelab profind 20 pin pointer... returned... two beeps instead of two and the churp... waiting on exchange...lucky I am used to using no pin pointer this year...

Will post new results for anyone thinking of buying the profind 20... Also per Minelab they say this pinpointer is waterproof to 5ft...the opposite of what others are passing on here... Either way Minelab said it... so call them if you are misinformed...

What type battery? I am guessing it was a 9V. Otherwise, foam would not allow the ground connection. I keep a quarter or larger metal coin inside my caps on my pointers. Done it from almost day1.

Seemed to work with something in cap till I went outside..lol...yes 9v.

My F-Pulse uses AA, however I seem to remember when I had the Fisher F2 detector that certain 9V batteries are shorter than others and therefore don't fit at well. From memory I think it was the Duracell that were just a slight bit shorter than other 9V batteries.

Seemed to work with something in cap till I went outside..lol...yes 9v.

Did you re-install the stock battery that came with the unit? If so, change it to a Duracell or Energizer. I thought my 35 was bad out of the box (intermittent operation) and read somewhere that the cheapo stock battery was the likely culprit. Put in a brand name 9V and not a hiccup all year.

Did you re-install the stock battery that came with the unit? If so, change it to a Duracell or Energizer. I thought my 35 was bad out of the box (intermittent operation) and read somewhere that the cheapo stock battery was the likely culprit. Put in a brand name 9V and not a hiccup all year.

The 20 does not come with a battery...I called Minelab direct they told me to return after I described the issue. Received another one... no issues two beeps and a churp and seems to work fine as needed.. which is usually maybe 5-10 times a hunt max.

Back
Top Bottom