Question on swing speed

last spring i was helping someone locate a gold ring. Should have been an easy recovery, i ended up searching way more than i needed to. I changed coils and searched the area three times from different directions, and changing frequency on my detector. In the end i decided to give it one more shot and i was just barely moving the coil and the ring sounded off loud and clear. I slowed down my speed and find my targets have increased. So i reccomend a slower swing speed along with about a 50% overlap.

last spring i was helping someone locate a gold ring. Should have been an easy recovery, i ended up searching way more than i needed to. I changed coils and searched the area three times from different directions, and changing frequency on my detector. In the end i decided to give it one more shot and i was just barely moving the coil and the ring sounded off loud and clear. I slowed down my speed and find my targets have increased. So i reccomend a slower swing speed along with about a 50% overlap.

I know that what you are saying isn't the answer for EVERY detector but I think it is sound advice for most.

If you don't have many targets to listen to or maybe only listening for 3 tones max with lots discriminated out I guess you could swing faster. The targets I look for are generally to faint for that. I'd have trouble believing anyone in a target rich environment would not be missing a lot of stuff. I'd probably be considered hunting Etrac slow with the Equinox I bet. It's not a race. Or at least to me it's not.

If you don't have many targets to listen to or maybe only listening for 3 tones max with lots discriminated out I guess you could swing faster. The targets I look for are generally to faint for that. I'd have trouble believing anyone in a target rich environment would not be missing a lot of stuff. I'd probably be considered hunting Etrac slow with the Equinox I bet. It's not a race. Or at least to me it's not.

I always had better luck going slower. But I have hunted a lot of parks and there is too much, like you say to even attempt to go that fast.

Back
Top Bottom