• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Great Granny had a secret...

(Heavy)

Elite Member
My great Grandmother was ashamed to tell anyone she was full blood American Indian. My Grandmother died as a beautiful woman with the highest cheek bones and from the casket I should have had a clue. My mother carrying 1/4 and to me 1/8... the minumim requirements to join the Tribe. Not sure what to think of this discovery, on one hand I'm pissed all my bothers and sisters could have had college for free, on the other I have been looking for tax shelter for coming patent lease royalities. I love this country but i won't feed the nonsense and I have even gone as far as to consider becoming an expatriot :shock:

But I still have hope for turnaround in the USA. Indian tribes live in as much as a country within a country so that might work until this storm passes, then I will be first in line to give unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's.

Chief, who knew I'm a tribal member from the Otoe-Missouria base, will our people take me in or do we feed the pig?
jackchief2.jpg
come join your bloodline and be a proud American Indian, there are no coincidences, the Spirit has always had this plan for the income. http://www.omtribe.org/index.php?enrollment

Be proud of your ancestry .Take what you have coming to you , you're qualified . Perhaps your patented product may be a boon to this failed economy . You paid taxes and part of it was used to bail out failing banks and other bad things . It's sad your brothers and sisters missed out on the College aid all the more reason for you to collect . A few kids I grew up with told me stories about their Indian Grandmothers and how they were looked down on by other family members and in one case not even to be allowed to be in the family photographs , that is so sad .I never new the joy of having a living , loving Grandmother .I'm so happy to have lived long enough to be a Grandfather .

H H ,
George

It's always nice to find out about your ancestry. I think you have done your math wrong though. If your Grandmother was full-blooded, then your mother was 1/2 which makes you and your siblings 1/4. I think you get the benifits for Native Americans if you can prove 1/16th. You children would be eligable for those benifits and your grandchildren also. It's worth looking into. : )

It's always nice to find out about your ancestry. I think you have done your math wrong though. If your Grandmother was full-blooded, then your mother was 1/2 which makes you and your siblings 1/4. I think you get the benifits for Native Americans if you can prove 1/16th. You children would be eligable for those benifits and your grandchildren also. It's worth looking into. : )

You're right about some Tribes extend to 1/16th but you missed the first three words of my post "my great Grandmother" is the full blood Otoe and she never told anyone so she could have a decent life I guess. I don't yet understand the shame she was trying to hide but perhaps it's time I did.

Take what you can, it's your birth-right. The whites took so much more, than what few dollars that they offer could ever repair. They didn't just slaughter a lot of Native Americans, they killed a cultured, destroyed their history, and way of life. The history was never written, but passed down, orally, in the stories. Should probably mention that I'm some sort of mixed breed white guy, with no clue as to my origins. I grew up in Oregon, where a good portion of the Native American population was herded like cattle, and the army ran of land to push them further west. Had some friends, was invited to sit in on quite a few ceremonies and just listen to the stories told by the elders. You'd be surprised at all you learn, and not even realize it, until you need it. It's really a shame what happened to these people.

I'd strongly suggest looking into it, many tribes get annual settlement checks, where they were given reservation land, but the government found something valuable, like oil, precious metals, or just wanted to build a freeway or something through it, so they took the land, but cut them checks for life. All you have to do is prove you parentage, and you will be welcome. Some of the younger men, might have a few words, but they will still be respectful. Least from a white guy's impression. I was never hassled or harassed, but some would have preferred that I wasn't there. You shouldn't have any problems, and the tribe will make sure you know what all you are entitled to, and how to get your share.

You're right about some Tribes extend to 1/16th but you missed the first three words of my post "my great Grandmother" is the full blood Otoe and she never told anyone so she could have a decent life I guess. I don't yet understand the shame she was trying to hide but perhaps it's time I did.

In her time Native Americans were seen as inferior people, and it would have been something worth hiding. Your problem is that if she hid her heritage, you have no records to prove your blood line.

In her time Native Americans were seen as inferior people, and it would have been something worth hiding. Your problem is that if she hid her heritage, you have no records to prove your blood line.

My Mother has already established the heritage and has exercised some benefit. I'm just now getting the news from her. But yes I will do the whole outline provided by the Otoe Tribe and it will be official. I have no idea what it means to me or my siblings at this point but the crazy thing is the women in my family have known this for a long time and just now they tell me. I'm not caring that much, all siblings are alive and well without we needed tuition paid by reparation money

Just happy Chief and I have some blood relation
hug.jpg

get all you can get,i have no problem with the native americans getting back some of what was thiers to start with, id much rather see you get it back than some of these moochers that is receiving these handouts,, sorry, im done

Always be proud of your heritage. I am of mine even though I haven't quite got it all figured out. I know that my maternal grandma was full Irish and somewhere on my dad's side is American Indian. Irish/American Indian= proud ancestry for me. My mom tried to hide it also but she let the cat outa the bag on a few occasions when she wasn't thinking. Love who you are and accept others for who they are. Big hugs.

My Mother has already established the heritage and has exercised some benefit. I'm just now getting the news from her. But yes I will do the whole outline provided by the Otoe Tribe and it will be official. I have no idea what it means to me or my siblings at this point but the crazy thing is the women in my family have known this for a long time and just now they tell me. I'm not caring that much, all siblings are alive and well without we needed tuition paid by reparation money

Just happy Chief and I have some blood relation
hug.jpg

I just followed the OM link. I thought the tribe sounded familiar, and it is in OK, just about an hour away from me.

You know what I really hate about ancient native Americans?

They didn't use any sort of metal objects so we could come and dig them up THOUSANDS of years later like in Europe. Stupid primitive jerks. Oh and btw, I'm 1/8th or 1/16th so I can talk. :)

You know what I really hate about ancient native Americans?

They didn't use any sort of metal objects so we could come and dig them up THOUSANDS of years later like in Europe. Stupid primitive jerks. Oh and btw, I'm 1/8th or 1/16th so I can talk. :)

True, I went through a local Indian settlement site (with permission) and found no metal related to the Tribe.

i am 1/8th (i think) mohican.how do you go about proving it?

Most tribal nations have a website or business office that you will need to contact for the actual requirements. In general you will need genealogical proof (copies of marriage and birth records) proving your lineage to an ancestor that is listed on the rolls. The "rolls" are a listing of individuals that have a proven heritage or membership in the nation.

In your case http://www.mohican-nsn.gov/Departments/Land_and_Enrollment/index.htm may be a good place to start.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom