Fresh baked bread

Leave-No-Coins-Behind

Forum Supporter
Time to change things up a bit. Cooler weather, perfect for fresh organic baked bread. Sometimes, I even grind my own grain.

Sourdough bread with everything seeds.

The hard part is to wait 30 minutes before slicing into it.

Attachments

• IMG_2239.jpg
    IMG_2239.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Love homemade bread! I've been wanting to start making sourdough. That looks great.

NICE looking loaf, congrats!
I had some starter going for a few months but honesty got tired of feeding it all the time and if it was refrigerated it never really came back. One cool thing I did was to fry up the starter everyday if i was not going to use it, yes, straight starter. Thin in a buttered pan and topped with some light spices, comes out like a scallion pancake!

Love homemade bread! I've been wanting to start making sourdough. That looks great.

NICE looking loaf, congrats!
I had some starter going for a few months but honesty got tired of feeding it all the time and if it was refrigerated it never really came back. One cool thing I did was to fry up the starter everyday if i was not going to use it, yes, straight starter. Thin in a buttered pan and topped with some light spices, comes out like a scallion pancake!

Thanks MuddyMo and zeemang! I try to make different types of bread every now and then it like when I get into that mood sort of a thing. Today's bread I added caraway seeds for inside and an everything mix on top. I hear you about the starter, I just used up what I had today. I too, sometimes forget to keep it going. But usually, I will just start a new batch once a year. Starter is good for so many things, its the real deal.

I just added another photo of what it looks inside.

Thanks again for checking out the bread.

:eat3::eat: good looking stuff there JAK! Love me some fresh bread!

Thanks man! Got to take a break from digging and do some bread making...lol. Nothing like the food of life...fresh bread. Soon it will be time to plant my garden for some other good stuff. One thing for sure, it makes the house smell like a bakery.

Nice job with the bread and the photos. I have to drive 30 miles round trip to get a good loaf of bread. Local stores here just have the name brand white and wheat sandwich types.

Maybe i should try to bake some myself.

Thanks man! Got to take a break from digging and do some bread making...lol. Nothing like the food of life...fresh bread. Soon it will be time to plant my garden for some other good stuff. One thing for sure, it makes the house smell like a bakery.

I've already got my seeds germinating :cool3: last year was my first full year with a good sized garden. It's tough to eat store bought during the winter now :laughing: would you mind sharing your bread recipe? That looks too good not to try! :eat2:

Nice! That look's great

Thanks SmirkAtTheMerc! A lot of trial and error got me to where it is today.

Nice job with the bread and the photos. I have to drive 30 miles round trip to get a good loaf of bread. Local stores here just have the name brand white and wheat sandwich types.

Maybe i should try to bake some myself.

Thanks John Madill! I hear you about finding good bread. I too, will travel to special local mom and pop bakeries for the good stuff. There is something extra special about making your own though, I know what is in it. I try to stay away from bromated flour which is in most commercial make baked goods.

Damn that looks awesome! Love me some sourdough!

Thanks GroundSweeper! Yesterday, I ate about 2/3rds of it. I could not stop eating it. Had it plain, buttered, honey, cream cheese and then ham and cheese sandwich. lol.

I've already got my seeds germinating :cool3: last year was my first full year with a good sized garden. It's tough to eat store bought during the winter now :laughing: would you mind sharing your bread recipe? That looks too good not to try! :eat2:

This is the first year in a long while in which I did not start in-house seed germinating. I usually always do. But I do save my best seeds from the year before.

Here is the basic recipe I used.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-sourdough-bread-224367

It kind of looks complicated, but it is not. I have tweaked it somewhat as to keeping it real simple. Key points are: Long proof over night room temp. You want a shaggy dough when it rests overnight, it will smooth out in the morning. Don't knead. After the morning proof/rise gently fold the dough onto its self as to make a loose/semi tightish ball, you want to keep those air pockets. Place into a parchment paper lined large bowl. After like 2 or 2.5 hours of this second rise. Gently, place the risen dough with the parchment paper into a HOT preheated Dutch oven/Pyrex a 450 oven covered. See the attached recipe for the rest. If you don't have the sour dough starter it works well too. For my one loaf I used approx. 3 cup of flour and about 1.25 to 1.5 cups of water. If you ever made a no-knead bread this is a hybrid version of it. GL!

Last edited:
Mighty fine lookin' loaf there! Man, I can almost smell it!

Thanks Huckleberry! It does take a little practice to getting it just right. A tweak here and change there. I find it so much better than store bought bread and without all the additives and chemicals. I am going to have some for breakfast this morning...

Great looking loaf! The Queen was a home baker for several years who sold her breads at the local farmer's market, but after 3 summers of baking she had burnout and hardly ever makes a loaf now. She would sell about 100-150 loaves of 6 varieties of bread on each Saturday, baking all day Wednesday-Friday. It was certainly hard to live in the Castle with all those great smells during baking days! :laughing::laughing::laughing: She did multigrain, russian black, caramelized onion loaf, sour dough, chessey garlic bread, stolen, cheesy alligators and many more! Her sour dough starter came from our Pastor's wife who got it from a strain that went out on the Oregon Trail with the pioneers!

Great looking loaf! The Queen was a home baker for several years who sold her breads at the local farmer's market, but after 3 summers of baking she had burnout and hardly ever makes a loaf now. She would sell about 100-150 loaves of 6 varieties of bread on each Saturday, baking all day Wednesday-Friday. It was certainly hard to live in the Castle with all those great smells during baking days! :laughing::laughing::laughing: She did multigrain, russian black, caramelized onion loaf, sour dough, chessey garlic bread, stolen, cheesy alligators and many more! Her sour dough starter came from our Pastor's wife who got it from a strain that went out on the Oregon Trail with the pioneers!

Thank you for your kind words your majesty! Definitely good bread making is labor of love. But then again, we are what we eat. Wow, I can only image how busy the Queen must of been at the castle making that many of loafs for market. I bet it was just a required task of loading them into the chariot. She must of had extra brick hearths to bake them all in that stood idle when not used by the royal family during normal feasts.
I try to make various types too. My favorite from the Queen's list would probably be that of a true Russian black. Ironically, I was thinking about make an alligator style crust too, but have not done it yet. Stolen, that verity you don't hear to much about anymore. So good, but would be considered now-a-days from the privative Viking days...lol.
My compliments to the Queen and the royal family for keeping the dough starter alive and well into another century!

Thank you for your kind words your majesty! Definitely good bread making is labor of love. But then again, we are what we eat. Wow, I can only image how busy the Queen must of been at the castle making that many of loafs for market. I bet it was just a required task of loading them into the chariot. She must of had extra brick hearths to bake them all in that stood idle when not used by the royal family during normal feasts.
I try to make various types too. My favorite from the Queen's list would probably be that of a true Russian black. Ironically, I was thinking about make an alligator style crust too, but have not done it yet. Stolen, that verity you don't hear to much about anymore. So good, but would be considered now-a-days from the privative Viking days...lol.
My compliments to the Queen and the royal family for keeping the dough starter alive and well into another century!

KT will happily pass on your thoughts and compliments to Her Majesty!

Back
Top Bottom