Nicknames

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
Obviously mine is Quaidmon. But my closest friends for the last 40 years are Slice, Squeal, Cooch, Earthman, and Zurch. Sometimes I can't remember their real names. I did some work at Cooches parents house and they ended up being mama and papa Cooch. They said they liked the sound of it.

Reminded me of some of the nicknames "The Bowery Boys" had -

Leo Gorcey as Terrance Aloysius "Slip" Mahoney
Huntz Hall as Horace DeBussy "Sach" Jones

(and others)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bowery_Boys

boweryboysmonsters.jpg

My first wife's parents called me "That Boy" for years.
And my second wife's folks called me "That Republican" for a long time.

Brings back memories of a Saturday morning when I was young and now I can't find them on TV anywhere. Loved watching them and Abbott and Costello !

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I also liked watching "Laurel and Hardy".

I remember on Saturdays as a kid our elementary school would often show a Bowery Boys comedy, I think the admission was only 25 cents, and cheap candy for sale too.

There are DVDs of the Bowery Boys movies, and some can be found available to watch for free online, here are a few I just found -

https://archive.org/details/GhostsontheLoose

https://archive.org/details/07SpooksRunWild

https://archive.org/details/bowery_blitzkrieg

and more here -

https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22East+Side+Kids%22

Seems some B&W ones like those above must be public domain, other ones I could only find preview clips like this one here -

Had a buddy, retired Marine, huge guy. I generally called him Sir, but out in public within earshot of others, I'd call him "puddin' pop".

He didn't like it :laughing:

In my teens/early 20's I had a friend whose nickname was "Chink" and yes, he had some oriental nationality in him and had no problem with the nickname. He was definitely the friend to have close by in bad areas of town, someone could punch him square in the face and he wouldn't flinch, he laugh at them, that's when they knew they made a BIG mistake :shock: :laughing:

In my teens/early 20's I had a friend whose nickname was "Chink" and yes, he had some oriental nationality in him and had no problem with the nickname. He was definitely the friend to have close by in bad areas of town, someone could punch him square in the face and he wouldn't flinch, he laugh at them, that's when they knew they made a BIG mistake :shock: :laughing:

I knew a guy like that , my buddy would get punched in the face , and start smiling , the look on the face of the other guy was priceless. :lol:

I've got a friend who for the last forty years we've called "Pecker".
One time we were racing (drag strip), and my racing partner's 'ol lady saw him headed in our direction and she wanted him to grab something for her out of the car, so she hollered at him out of the bleachers, "Hey! Pecker!" He looked up and saw everyone in the stands looking down at him because they wanted to see who it was that would respond to that marker. :laughing:

Nicknames! Yeah, I've had a few...probably the best I ever had was "Lucky"...We moved to a small Alabama town (pop. 7000) back in the mid 90's, didnt know a soul, I traveled for business and was always coming and going at odd hours on an unset schedule...folks were naturally curious and wondering.....

I would stop in at a little baitshop/gas station Old guy gathering place and buy a pack of Lucky Strikes, fuel up and chatter fishing and weather with the old guys there...Well, er'body started calling me "Lucky" on account of they dint know my name...and the word spread throughout the Community...

It turned out to be a good thing! Being called "Lucky" is a whole lot better than some of the other Nicknames I've had! As trust earned developed, We had some lively times dicking around together and conversations...

We Helped each other, had each others back, One of us had some skill, knowledge, experience or tools in any situation that was good for the well being of the entire group...We helped each other get through Life and protect each others Wives and Children as if they were our own.....yeah..tribal regional nicknames...good memories...

I moved away up North, chasing the dollar, left all my Alabama Baitshop boys behind...Cotton, Woody, Frizz, Pigger, Yogi, Whitey, Rugs, and Tree...Lawyers,Guns or Money..borrowing a bearing puller or roofing a house? You gotta earn a nickname!....

Nobody up here calls me "Lucky" or gives one diddly damn...and I am the poorer one for it...although, if any of my Alabama Baitshop boys called with an emergency, needed help to create or bury a body......I'm freaking there!:laughing:

Last edited:
Mine growing up was Dirt. Maybe is should be pull tabs!

HH

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Since I have been doing silversmithing for so many years, mine was Silversmith. When I tried to use it here, they said it was already taken so I added 45 to it for my favorite handgun. I saw the profile of the one who has Silversmith and he joined after I did. It was even my call sign back in the CB days. I also sometimes went by Dave (Short for my last name). When I first met my ex-wife I told her that was my name. After all these years she still calls me that even though she knows it isn't my real name. I don't really care what people call me, I just consider the source.

When one of my nephews was young and swimming in competitions he would put his initials on his stuff E.D. He is now in law enforcement to this day even the cops he works with call him Ed.

Why "Glasshopper"?

Back in the early 2000s, one of the major Bottledigging sites on the net was "Privydigger", which followed the exploits of Eddie Brater in southern Ohio and his buddies who did some serious Privy Digging. He would always say something and then say "that's all there is to it, Glasshoppers!". We were all fans and somehow my buddies started calling me "Glasshopper" because of my constant jumping in and out of our dig holes. Well, I guess the name stuck and as they say, the rest is history. :yes:

Back in the early 2000s, one of the major Bottledigging sites on the net was "Privydigger", which followed the exploits of Eddie Brater in southern Ohio and his buddies who did some serious Privy Digging. He would always say something and then say "that's all there is to it, Glasshoppers!". We were all fans and somehow my buddies started calling me "Glasshopper" because of my constant jumping in and out of our dig holes. Well, I guess the name stuck and as they say, the rest is history. :yes:

I'm not sure how old you are but the nickname "Grasshopper" for a student or someone who is learning came from the 70's TV show Kung Fu. That's what one of the Masters called the main character.

Back
Top Bottom