The Olympics....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I used to really look forward to and enjoy watching the Olympics ever since I was a kid.
After a second rate East German swimmer won gold after gold one year by swimming way above her normal talents, thanks to doping it was found out later, they all became tainted to me and I haven't been able to enjoy them the same way since.
It wasn't just the swimmers, either.
There have been stories that East Germany has been doping their athletes since the 60's up until they were dissolved, many athletes knew but many more were lied to and doped without their consent.
It wasn't just that country, even US athletes have been caught and shamed among others.
Doping is still a huge issue, the entire Russian track and field team might not even be allowed to enter and for all the great athletes that compete clean there are always a few that slip in and might never be caught or if they are it is months or years later.
Imagine training for so hard for years and years, hoping to win a medal and take your once in a lifetime place on the platform and hear your country's anthem played only to lose to a cheating doper...and then be given your actual and deserved medal months or years later with no fanfare and maybe just one line mentioned in the news.
Heartbreaking.

Then there is that Zika virus thing not to mention all the other health risks.

Water in Guanabara Bay, where many Olympic events will take place, is so polluted that an investigation by the Associated Press concluded that the water could make Olympians "violently ill."

The president has just been impeached, the economy is depressed and in shambles and some of the venues are still not completed last I heard.
It takes money to move such a massive amount of people around any large geographic area in an organized and timely matter, I am not sure this country is ready for that.

Most are predicting that this is going to be one huge train wreck of an Olympics, if it is not postponed or cancelled which is a small but still real possibility.

Some say the news about the problems will way overshadow the athletes performances.

If it goes off I will watch some events but the thrill that I had watching these things with the innocence I had as a kid is long gone.

I hope it works out well if only for the honest athlete's sakes but things don't look great right now for most anyone competing in or attending this event.

+1 , lost a lot of interest when they brought the pro's in . They should just legalize everything , pay for bribes out of the super pac's . And just to keep it fair , give all the participants gold medals . If anyone is still dissatisfied ,they can blame America for all the aid we give the world . After all we have not given everyone that hates us Nuc's yet , how unfair is that ?
HH

Just got my tickets!!! Can't wait to get Zika, drink some poop water, and maybe I'll run for president while I'm down there :D

I think they should just do an all out steroid Olympics, almost like now but declare it openly and have big sponsors like Pfizer, almost like now...

My Wife is a Huge Olympics junkie! Since 1980, We dont keep a TV in the house, except for on an Olympics year...Back in '96 a strange twist of fate occurred, and I met and fell in with some Olympics Staff..Long story short, We got backstage passes to events in Atlanta!...

Probably the bestest time of Her miserable life with me!..I got the shot with an old SLR camera her Dad brought back from WW2!... Her squeezing Izzys tail!...See that one Olympic lady slapping her hand off?

To me, that was like dropping a 7X Boone&Crockett Bull Elk on a flat run at 400yds with a .22!....Then, on the way home to G'ville, I magnanimously treated her to a dinner at the Waffle House in Anniston...a whole nother story there! Lets just say it was 'scattered, smothered and covered'..I hope She only remembers the good times, but I'm giving myself undue credit, being an optimist of course....
Mud

Attachments

• izzy.jpg
    izzy.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 372
  • IZZY..2.jpg
    IZZY..2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 389
Called it....

40 days to go and as one athlete said, politely, things are a mess.
In both the venues and all the services like transportation.
I predict there will be more stories about how screwed up things are than at any other Olympics in the past.
They might even overshadow the events and results of the games themselves.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sp...ay-even-be-unsafe-experts-warn/?intcmp=hplnws

My wife and I were just talking about this! Scary!
I'll watch it just to see what's floating in the water.
News guy said it would be a high ratings Olympics just for the morbid curiosity similar to seeing a train wreck.
That seems just a wee bit harsh but fits for me I guess :shock:

If you visit the site liveleak and watch some of their inner city videos with all of the street robberies like I do, you would never set foot in that country as a tourist lol

Like... http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/06/sport/rio-2016-olympics-security-robbery/

City grapples with wave of crime on beaches as Olympics near CNN

I watched on CCTV video, where people were robbed in the street alll day long, constantly and never even saw a cop! lol

You know it's bad when gender testing has to be incorporated. :shock: ;)

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/gender-testing.htm

"At the 1996 Atlanta Olympics eight athletes failed the gender verification tests but were all subsequently cleared by physical examinations".

That was close! ;)

Checklist for incoming athletes in Rio...

What is the sport you are entering?

Do you now or have you ever taken performance enhancing drugs?

[] YES

[] NO

[] NOT SURE

[] FOR ME TO KNOW, FOR YOU TO FIND OUT

ARE YOU A...

[] MALE

[] FEMALE

[] NOT SURE

[] OTHER

Are you lying about any of the previous answers?

[] YES

[] NO

[] AGAIN...FOR ME TO KNOW, FOR YOU TO FIND OUT

+1 , lost a lot of interest when they brought the pro's in . They should just legalize everything , pay for bribes out of the super pac's . And just to keep it fair , give all the participants gold medals . If anyone is still dissatisfied ,they can blame America for all the aid we give the world . After all we have not given everyone that hates us Nuc's yet , how unfair is that ?
HH

This ^

There are a lot of kids, freakishly huge, no way they got that way from hard work and dedication to a sport, and nobody says anything. The drugs don't replace the work, just allow you to abuse yourself more, without the usual injury. They can test all they want, but they can't test for past use, just recent or current use. And of course, they can buy a doctor, who will swear they treated the athlete with something that raise levels of the same blood chemicals being tested for. The 'dope' is the same as the stuff we naturally produce in our bodies, they only test for elevated levels. Athletes only need to stop using, before test time, give themselves enough to normalize, and have already reaped the benefits.

Sports are all about the money anymore, not as much about the competition. Even Olympic athletes cash in, they have sponsors, endorsements, just can't get a paycheck for actually competing in the sport.

Oh boy, can't wait.
Athletes are now arriving and moving into their poorly constructed apartments...then are being robbed as they evacuate.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/01/sport/fire-thefts-olympic-village/index.html

Members of the Austrailian and Spain teams were robbed at gunpoint in the last few weeks also.
Athlete security must take precedence over all, everyone agrees about this but the police force does not seem up to the task.

Here is the place where the rowing and sailing events will take place.
They call it a bay...what it really is is a huge toilet.

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/07/26/87560094/

The fun starts in 3 days.

Maybe they should add "Metal Detecting" to the olympics -

They bury gold, silver, and bronze medals and whoever finds each first wins that medal :laughing: :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom