• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

!!WHAAMMMM!! ~~~~~~~~~~ "ow."

SageGrouse

Elite Member
Wellllllll it'll be a few days before I get out again. *sigh* I HATE not having any depth perception. Just hate it!

I was walking the dogs, today and went right of a damn STEP! Didn't know it was there, and did a faceplant onto concrete.

Wouldn't have been quite so bad.... but I did it in front of an audience! Two guys ran over and helped me to my feet. Poor blind lady.... GRRRR!

Fortunately I didn't a. drop the dogs' leashes b. break anything c. bust my glasses d. drop the bag of doggy poop e. land on either of the dogs or f. LAND on the bag of doggy poop! But of course with two chivalrous guys asking "Are you all right? Should we call an ambulance? Will you be OK?" I HAD to testosterone it up and shake it off "Naaaah! I do this all the time! I'm fine!"

Couldn't catch myself because I was holding the leashes and the doggy poop. So I took the brunt of the fall on my right knee and left hand, but the rest of me didn't fare too well either. Owwww.

I'll be stiff and sore tomorrow for sure. Owwwww.

SageGrouse

I fell out of a porta john, in front of a lot of people. And I'm not blind. The damn thing was built into a box along the beach to make it easier to move. It also raised it up several more inches, which I forgot about. Injured the muscles under the right thumb, months ago, and it still bothers me after detecting.

fall

Wow, this one brought a smile to me, not that all this happened to u, but my mother was going to a dog show. She was taking the dogs out of the hotel, had the leashes of the 3 dogs, the door slammed in her face. She was bloodied, broke her glasses, black and blue eye, then had to chase down the dogs in the parking lot.

Hope u feel better soon...

Awe hope you aren't to sore from the fall. I know I fell down my basement steps about four years ago and broke my left arm and my right leg and damaged my sciatic nerve and all three act up from time to time. Pain hurts lol

My wife and I were out with our 9 or 10 month old golden. He was supposed to be my dog, but he bonded with my wife she loves that dog.

Anyhow they were walking and she noticed me and stopped, giving me a big smile while waiting for me to get close enough to talk. I saw the goose - just a fraction after the dog saw the goose, but my wife never knew it was coming. The dog took off at full speed and tugged her - she was briefly doing a superman and was parallel to the ground until she crashing into it!

She popped right back up and was more embarrassed than hurt. The dog managed to catch the goose and it took a lot of careful work to get the bird free again - and evidently it was unharmed as it flew and landed fairly smoothly into water, presumably to wash off some dog slobber.

Anyhow, there are plenty of ways to get on the ground when walking with hounds. I do hope you aren't hurting too much.

I'm pretty sure that goose was more frightened or ticked off, than hurt.

Goldens and Labradors and other "bird dogs" are genetically wired to chase and catch or retrieve birds. But what's even cooler is that most retrievers (particularly Goldens!) are "soft mouthed" meaning that they have a very strong bite-inhibition. They can carry an injured bird so tenderly that they won't even ruffle the feathers.

My Guide Dog, Delsie, was just such a soft-mouthed dog. She had toys that she carried tenderly about, just like a mother with a baby. IN the eight years she was weith me, she never ONCE chewed or destroyed a toy. She could carry an egg without breaking it.

In fact... she *needed* to carry *something* at first. When I was still training with her at Guide-Dogs For The Blind in San Rafael California, the istructors were so *very* strict with the dogs. Poor del was a "soft dog", meaning that,,, under correction or criticism, she would just *wilt*. But the one habit we couldn't seem to "break" her of was carrying. Carrying *anything*! "S- Check your dog!" I would hear. I'd reach down and find she had a leaf, a twig, or a pebble, that she had picked up and was carrying. I would have to leash correct her, scold her "Leave it! Pfui!" and then get her to guide again. She was depressed and unhappy. "Could I just let her carry things in the dormitory?" "No! Never!"

Once we got home, though, I threw *that* rule OUT the window. She got toys to carry and love. And the "sneaky carrying" stopped cold! When the harness went on, she was all business! In fact, if offered a toy, in harness, she would refuse it. "Mom, I'm WORKING!" Once her psychological needs were met, her working personality became almost perfect.

SageGrouse

Well, Lily is 15 pounds dripping wet and gryphon is 12, while I tip the scales at *just* shy of 200 lbs. Puppy=pancakes!

I'm glad I didn't fall on them, I could have injured them severely. I'm fairly padded and since I fall frequently (at least once or twice a year) I have learned how to fall to avoid injury.

SageGrouse

Sooo,

I feel better now that I find out I,m not the only one who has the mis-steps.
Glad you got up and was able to dust yourself off. :lol:

Hope you're already feeling better. I've had some falls in the past. I ran from the porch toward the truck because it was raining. My foot slipped and I hit flat on my back. I seemed ok; but madder than *&(% because I was wet and had to go back into the house and change. Then a couple of days later my back started hurting! Almost 3 months of misery. Ok now!
A few years later, I was working on a gas pump at a convenience store. I turned to go into the store when my feet tangled in a too-long gasoline hose. I went face down, barely managing to catch myself with my hands before my face hit. The only pain was just the palms of my hands that had 'slapped' the concrete (hard!). But, several people came running to me asking if I was hurt. That was embarrassing!!
Again, hope you are feeling better already!!

Hope you're already feeling better. I've had some falls in the past. I ran from the porch toward the truck because it was raining. My foot slipped and I hit flat on my back. I seemed ok; but madder than *&(% because I was wet and had to go back into the house and change. Then a couple of days later my back started hurting! Almost 3 months of misery. Ok now!
A few years later, I was working on a gas pump at a convenience store. I turned to go into the store when my feet tangled in a too-long gasoline hose. I went face down, barely managing to catch myself with my hands before my face hit. The only pain was just the palms of my hands that had 'slapped' the concrete (hard!). But, several people came running to me asking if I was hurt. That was embarrassing!!
Again, hope you are feeling better already!!

So Texasred you do know mythbusters proved that if you run in the rain you get wetter than if you walk normally, you hit more rain the faster you run. :shock:

I find it really difficult not to run anyhow.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom