Am I the only HAM??

DirtyNeckJesse

Elite Member
I am an amateur radio operator among other things. Are there other HAMS on here besides me? If so, what is your call? KD5QWL is mine.

There is an older thread where there was a bunch of guys.Me growing up the guy behind us had an aeriel in a big tree in his back yard.When he was on we couldn't watch television from all the static.Lol! Forgot what his record distance was.Said he must have skipped off of clouds or something.I said !!!?:laughing:

COOL! Bunch of us here! I may be posting an auction for a new ICOM IC2100 2 meter rig soon. Bought it from a tech friend. It's brand knew. Still had the plastic on the mounting pieces. He did a little mod on it but decided he did not plan to use it (he has lots of equipment) so he sold it to me. NICE rig, but I have trouble understanding/following some of the techie instructions since my big round of chemo last year (8 months of heavy stuff). I guess it fried some cells or something. Lotta things seem oddly more difficult after that. Anyway, I ran the wires from my battery to the inside of mu little truck and fired it up. It is a neat rig, but I just can't figure out how to set the PL's or offsets or pretty much anything else. :mad::mad::mad:

Like I said, I may list it or just sell it outright local. May try to get some help from some old HAMs in the area. Who knows.

I am glad to see we are well represented on this forum and in the MD hobby!

--Dan (DNJ)

I understand. My hearing is not what it once was, (too many years working in machine shops and press rooms). My biggest problem these days is the ability to follow any train of thought that is very much above general knowledge. Technical stuff just screws with my head something awful! :D Stinkin' chemo!:mad: The Mayo Clinic calls it "Chemo Brain".

KJ4FUU here. I mostly work QRP, but currently, I'm almost 3/4 of the way to DXCC, and only need Hawaii for WAS. I'll probably do better when I start using CW instead of just phone!

-- Tom

K7UND here. Besides metal detecting I have three repeater sites that I own. Happy digging and 73's!!

Chris
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you

You do what it means to a sailor, to be able to talk to their families when they are out sailing the seven seas. :pirates:

Thank you

I have a question. I guess I could google it but since you're all here. What exactly is HAM? I mean what do you guys do? Is it like CB Communication with each other or play music or share info? Thanks in advance.

Primarily used for emergency communications. However not the only use. One example I can give you other than in disaster situation is this one: My friend's dad passed suddenly from a heart attack. She was married to a missionary in Argentina and they had no phone available where they were. A HAM operator near where her mom lived was able to get a message through to another HAM in Argentina. They found my friend and drove her to the HAM's house where the local guy was able to let her know what was going on and they set up the plan to get her back to the states for the funeral. It is a great hobby and a fantastic service that stands ready in emergency situations to get help to those in need.

Oh...To answer your first question, a HAM is a licensed (by the FCC) operator of a radio station. They may be operating on a variety of band widths that would take a few pages to explain. :lol: Each operator/HAM must be licensed for specific band widths in order to legally transmit on them. Clear as mud, right? :laughing::laughing:

HAM...and green eggs!

I've wanted to get into it for a while...at work we have a day dedicated to our HAMs...skywarn recognition day.

Anyways...anyone have a good working radio for sale?:?:

Ham Radio

Ham radio is basically a professional communications group of operators who use their skills in Constant Wave or CW using morse code universal radio, as well as voice on a number of different frequencies. Those skills come in handy during national or local emergency communications where both short distance and long distance connections are essential to saving lives. both on the land and on the sea.
You have to pass morse code profficiency testing by other licensed by the FCC qualified radio amateurs to upgrade your license from novice 6 numbers and letters to the full rank of 4 letters or Extra Class license.
Novice, Tech, General, and Extra class.
A very self fulfilling hobby.

I have a question. I guess I could google it but since you're all here. What exactly is HAM? I mean what do you guys do? Is it like CB Communication with each other or play music or share info? Thanks in advance.

it's also known as amateur radio. many ham's volunteer their services for communications during emergencies since most have equipment that can be set up quickly, run from battery power and it's not uncommon to build an antenna from a scrap of wire in order to get on the air in an emergence situation. many are very resourceful to say the least! :D

Back
Top Bottom