Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 02-24-2021, 11:09 AM

Default any writers here?

Writers, authors, ect...

I have led an interesting 55 year old life so far, I have many, many amazing or funny stories to tell...some stretched a bit, but all true I have been thinking lately about recording them somehow for my family to enjoy down the road.
here is my issue... while a great (or not so great) story teller, I cannot type too well and my grammer is horrible, sometimes dyslexic. I'm a two finger keyboardist who's arthritis is only getting worse...
is there a computer program I can talk into and have it put everything to words and correct my bad habits? thanks

Old 02-24-2021, 07:33 PM
Supporter

I have dabbled in poetry, but that's about it. I have actually thought about writing a condensed biography, but it would be crazy! I fully intended to keep a journal while I spent a year in Iraq as an Army Medic, but it lasted about a week..... There are several voice to text apps out there. Here is a link to the top eight:
https://www.thebalancesmb.com/best-v...t-apps-4583053
Fortunately I took typing back in high school (mid 70's), before there was such a thing as keyboarding. That said, I can hit 40 WPM on a good day!!

Old 02-24-2021, 08:58 PM
Elite Member

Haven't seen him in awhile..........
but he is perhaps the funniest and best, and every-ones favorite,
writer on the forum........ Muddpuppy

AT Pro, ML CTX 30/30 , ML EQ 800

Last edited by dirt dick; 02-24-2021 at 11:45 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:21 PM
Supporter

Default Mudpuppy

Originally Posted by dirt dick View post
Haven't seen him in awhile..........
put he is perhaps the funniest and best, and every-ones favorite,
writer on the forum........ Muddpuppy
Your sure right about that the man can spin a good tale

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future. Collect Philippines coins as a hobby

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:45 PM

You don't even need a separate program. It's all built into windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-af033fa5689f

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:44 PM
Elite Member

i have tried writing a western using language like they might have talked. Not proper English with a lot of 'ain'ts' and other things that probably wouldn't pass a publisher. I could probably break what I have so far into five or six books. I honestly doubt if I could write it again but I enjoy reading it again and making minor changes to it. I doubt it anything will ever come from it.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:06 PM
Supporter

I truly loved writing short stories in my early teens.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:58 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
i have tried writing a western using language like they might have talked. Not proper English with a lot of 'ain'ts' and other things that probably wouldn't pass a publisher. I could probably break what I have so far into five or six books. I honestly doubt if I could write it again but I enjoy reading it again and making minor changes to it. I doubt it anything will ever come from it.
Study Louis LaMour and Zane Gray to learn to write Western Novels! KT has read every western written by LaMour and about half of Zane Gray's work. I liked LaMour's descriptions of the countryside in the American West, and the stories had enough action to keep my attention. Gray's works are a bit less descriptive of the terrain, but more involved in the human condition. Could have been set in New York, Chicago, or San Francisco...ie location not so important. Just a little bit more tedious to get through. Both were hailed as the greatest western writers of their day!

Old 03-12-2021, 01:14 AM
Elite Member

I have read hundreds of westerns including Zane Gray and LaMour. I don't really enjoy most of those by Zane Gray. Neither one of them are close to what I have written. I wrote most of it during free time while I was still working. My ex-boss couldn't wait to see what I had wrote that day. I haven't written much since I retired but I constantly go back and read it again sometime making minor changes. It's almost like someone else wrote it.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:34 PM

I have been a lyricist for about 40+ years... telling stories via music. some were actually foresight and fit a later issue.
I'm gonna try and start simple , a daily journal maybe, or as memories come.. lay it down... I don't know yet. this is my first attempt. I have Never read abook cover to cover, I am the guy who reads the first few pages and forgets what he reads... No reading comprehension.. If I watch a movie it's in ther forever, but I read something and it's gone before i turn the page..

E-trac( stock coil, 13" ultimate coil, 8x6 SEF coil) , Garrett carrot, lesche hand trowel. just started march 2021- silvers(34) wheats (101) IH's(2) Rings (4) best find so far 1918 Walker half. Trash (too much)