PayPal gift?

achaios

Forum Supporter
I received a PayPal gift for $250 from someone I do not know. I have NOT accepted it.

I don't know if somehow, some dealer here accidentally used the wrong PayPal contact, but if you are missing $250, contact your buyer. As I said, I have not accepted it, but I don't want to refuse (and thereby acknowledge that I am a live PP user), unless I know more about the situation.

The name of the person sending the gift is Patrick Joy.

Thanks,

-- Tom

I received a PayPal gift for $250 from someone I do not know. I have NOT accepted it.

I don't know if somehow, some dealer here accidentally used the wrong PayPal contact, but if you are missing $250, contact your buyer. As I said, I have not accepted it, but I don't want to refuse (and thereby acknowledge that I am a live PP user), unless I know more about the situation.

Thanks,

-- Tom

It could be some kind of scam, check out these PayPal pages warning about various scams.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-are-common-scams-and-how-do-i-spot-them-faq3176

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/common-scams

from the above page: Report any suspect email by forwarding it to [email protected]

Are you only going by what was in an email or did you actually log onto your PayPal account directly to verify from your account a gift is pending ?

Maybe you can look up that name on the PayPal site to see if it lists him as an account holder and seller.

You can always contact PayPal and explain what happened and they might be aware if it somehow might be some kind or fraud or simply was a mistake someone made.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us

We occasionally get "spoof" emails from people trying to scam people, that is why I prefer to go directly to a company web site by typing it in manually rather than clicking on a link in an email that looks suspicious. If you hover your mouse cursor over a link without clicking on it should show the actual URL and in spoof emails the actual URL is often pretty obvious that it is not legit.

GKL, the money is pending my acceptance. I logged into PayPal and it is there, but I'm not going to accept it. I have seen scams where money is sent, they claim a mistake and ask for you to send it back, and then they do a chargeback. This is why I'm going to leave it alone. I have seen issues before where a MD dealer had my user as their username (it was a mistake, not a scam), and that is why I posted the question here.

Thanks,

-- Tom

GKL, the money is pending my acceptance. I logged into PayPal and it is there, but I'm not going to accept it. I have seen scams where money is sent, they claim a mistake and ask for you to send it back, and then they do a chargeback. This is why I'm going to leave it alone. I have seen issues before where a MD dealer had my user as their username (it was a mistake, not a scam), and that is why I posted the question here.

Thanks,

-- Tom

Glad you are alert to such possibilities Tom, I would still consider letting PayPal know that that account holder MIGHT be trying to scam people and maybe they can check and see if he has a long record of sending "gifts" to people he doesn't know.

As others have stated, you should contact PayPal. If this is a scammer they need to know so they can address it. Scams evolve all the time. If Patrick Joy really wanted to gift you $250 he could have just sent it directly to your account no acceptance needed using your same email.

I tried PayPal's stupid "Contact Us" link, and it comes up with a crappy search of problems, with the only actual contact options appearing to be talking to an idiot chat-bot, or calling them (and I don't feel like reporting financial problems to some random guy in India; the Indians assault my phone daily as it is).

Apparently, the sender is sending from a Yahoo address, so I don't feel safe contacting them either.

I will have to reevaluate my need for PayPal, if they are sliding this far down into the moron hole.

-- Tom

I tried PayPal's stupid "Contact Us" link, and it comes up with a crappy search of problems, with the only actual contact options appearing to be talking to an idiot chat-bot, or calling them (and I don't feel like reporting financial problems to some random guy in India; the Indians assault my phone daily as it is).

Apparently, the sender is sending from a Yahoo address, so I don't feel safe contacting them either.

I will have to reevaluate my need for PayPal, if they are sliding this far down into the moron hole.

-- Tom

Not sure if this might offer any better help, but I saw that PayPal as a discussion board so you can use their search feature to see what other users had a similar experience and the replies they got from other users.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Community/ct-p/en#

(try different search parameters like - gift scam - or - received gift from someone I don't know - or - other combinations of words with gift, fraud, ect.)

I have Called Paypal and talked to a real live human. Problem was resolved easily. Dont remember where i found the number.

I know you have to go through the PP resolution center steps to find a contact phone number that comes with a temporary code for you. I recall using that a couple times in the past, and had a good experience over the phone both times. I thought they had an email or chat contact option too. Give it a try. Expect it to be a scam, but just maybe...?

Thanks,

-- Tom

Holy !!!! that’s me. And I just recently got scammed on PayPal gift for $250... notify the moderator and Do Not respond. Contact PayPal also.. we are connected because we did coin transactions....I’m sorry man. I’m now trying to minimize personal financial damages..I’m trying to nail them and this may help somehow..I’m not tech savvy.. I just responded to this cuz it caught my eye then was shocked and am now just reading the whole thread. Be nice if you accepted it and I got my money back but DO NOT risk it... I want to contact you but I’m afraid to post my phone number.. I saved screenshots of when I got scammed a few weeks ago. I tried calling PayPal too but it’s a runaround.. I’m no scammer.. I’m sure “Artie” will tell you what I’m like to do business with. And you and I had no problems with our coin deals...they are using an old email address that I don’t use anymore, but was used to set up PayPal...it’s a definite scam..and I’m definitely not involved except that I’ve already been scammed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom