• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hunting a drained lake/river

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I was watching an episode of Pawn Stars and a fella came in wanting to sell a couple old paddle locks. He said that they drained the lake/river (don't remember which) and he found the locks metal detecting. The locks were in the water for 100 plus years. Wouldn't it be cool to detect a lake/river/pond that has been drained. Have any of you had the opportunity to do such a thing.

Doing that right now. An old Boy Scout camp that is now a Christian camp. So far so good, lots of clad and today was the first gold, two 10K rings.

I have not had that opportunity, although several other members have and kept us entertained with their findings......generally, depending on what went on, this is where their most amazing gold hauls come out of...

I have found hundreds of old oar locks. I only keep the brass ones and I give the others away. How much could you possibly sell an old oar lock for? I even find the holders they go into with the side of the boat attached.

Interesting there would even be a market for them. You can't put a date on them as far as I know.

The only thing I save off the old wood and metal boats are the brass manufacturers tags.

Had the opportunity once. No matter how hard I tried, couldn't get permission. Brings back the anger every time I think of it. Thanks a lot :mad::mad:

The first time walked a lake that was low both me and my fishing friend sunk very deep, needless to say you need to be carefull on some of them.

I beleive I saw a picture of the Niagra Falls area that was partly cut off of the flow , there were tons of old silver coins.

Back
Top Bottom