Old Silver bracelet with nice engravings

CharlieT84

Elite Member
Found this bracelet at a site that dates to mid to late 1800s. (found an 1843 largie here). No markings that I can see but it has some nice designs on it.
As you can see it has some major bends in it and is fairly thick metal. I would like to know what you think the best way to fix without having it snap.
I was thinking maybe a Jeweler might be my only (best) choice.
Any advice?
Also How old do you think it is?
Thanks for any input. Charlie

Attachments

• IMG_1792r.jpg
    IMG_1792r.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_1791r.jpg
    IMG_1791r.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_1794r.jpg
    IMG_1794r.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1790r.jpg
    IMG_1790r.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 387
Annealing the silver first will make it so much easier to bend. I would heat it up, wear some thick leather gloves, and find something of a similar circumference to bend it around. Possibly an old soup can or something. Stay far away from the stone with the torch tip, you dont want to crack or discolor it. You should be able to get it pretty close to perfect by yourself with this method, no money needed. Awesome looking bracelet Charlie congrats!

I wouldn't think it's that old. 1950's-80's? Looks to be a Navajo look alike that's been sold at gift shops everywhere.

Steve

Annealing the silver first will make it so much easier to bend. I would heat it up, wear some thick leather gloves, and find something of a similar circumference to bend it around. Possibly an old soup can or something. Stay far away from the stone with the torch tip, you dont want to crack or discolor it. You should be able to get it pretty close to perfect by yourself with this method, no money needed. Awesome looking bracelet Charlie congrats!

Thanks Jeff for the advice.

I wouldn't think it's that old. 1950's-80's? Looks to be a Navajo look alike that's been sold at gift shops everywhere.
Steve

You could be right but I believe it is older. I would be very surprised if it wasn't earlier than 1950. This site is deep in the woods with just a crumbled laid up stone foundation. The house that was here was gone in the 30s I believe and other than hunters and woodcutters has not seen many people. That is what I've been told. The newest coin I have found here was a 1908 IHP. I am hoping the Look Alikes you mention are imitating this real thing. LOL I wonder if I can find someone who can confirm.

Brought back memories. Two years ago, found same style, all bent up, on a volleyball court. Sold as scrap !

No markings, great detail. Thick... I would guess older than 50-80's. You could very well be right. It may be what the knock-offs are based off of. If you find out, let us know. Great find.

Steve

Yeah, I'd say 1980's. You don't have a lot of age on that one. Looks like any number of pieces that could have been purchased at toursist places (like the Grand Canyon) in the 1980's. Lots of silver being sold then...

Skippy

Jeff,
I went ahead and did as you suggested and it turned out great. Thanks again.
Here are some pics for how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_1810r.jpg
    IMG_1810r.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1809r.jpg
    IMG_1809r.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 198
Nice job straightening that out. Looks great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom