First Tearout Silver

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
I was beginning to think I was sliding into a silver slump till yesterday. The last 4 outings produced few coins with only 2 old wheats and 2 Ihps notable. Been over a month since I last dug silver.

The few tearouts I have did never produced anything but junk. Just a few streets over they are tearing out sidewalk corners at the intersections and ramping them down for handicap access. Off and on heavy rain kept them filled all weekend so finally by noon or so Sunday they were drained off. Had a bluetooth pairing problem and had to hunt with speaker. Traffic made it a little challenging but doable. First section, first signal I get a 12-13, look down to see just a small clump of sod and dirt and in it out comes a Buff. Great way to start. Most sections produced a little clad in one form or another and I stopped back at the first hole on my way back to the truck. It was getting hot and with no shade to be had after two hours I was starting to feel it. Scanning the sidewall I get a weak hightone. I had to move some of the dirt piled up on top right at the cut and when I did I get a nice 30s coin tone. About 5 in. down I see silver. A 61 GW. A 66 rosie was in there with it. Great way to end a short hunt with # 37 fty.
The other pics are from previous hunts including the last one I dug some shiny on. Thanks for looking in. Mark

Attachments

• back to jpeg1.jpg
    back to jpeg1.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 590
  • back to jpeg 3.jpg
    back to jpeg 3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 555
  • 20210703_192033.jpg
    20210703_192033.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 550
  • back to jpeg.jpg
    back to jpeg.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 555
Dang son, you’re killing it! Way to go on getting that silver out of those tearouts before it gets covered back up!

Nice one Mark! I'm on a bit of a silver drought myself but then again been pulling old copper.

Steve

Mark, congrats on finding more of the good stuff! Your dedication to the cause, sure pays off. Impressive to be at #37. I look forward to seeing what #38 and more will be next. HH & GL!

Just checked a block long sidewalk tearout here in town, nada zip nothing not even a grunt of iron. Have never found anything in a tearout yet.

Very nice hunting Mark! 9/10 tearouts seem to be busts for me. I'm wondering if I'm getting to them too late. These sidewalk projects seem to move along pretty fast. Congrats, and good luck out there!

Persistence pays off.

Great finds!

Thank you and good luck to you. Mark

Dang son, you’re killing it! Way to go on getting that silver out of those tearouts before it gets covered back up!

Toad thanks, between heat and rain things have been a little slow around so that 61GW was a little bright spot. Mark

Nice one Mark! I'm on a bit of a silver drought myself but then again been pulling old copper.

Thanks Steve, I would love to get my coil over some big ol coppers. Good luck, Mark

Steve

Congrats on the Recoveries!! I would love to "luck" upon a sidewalk tearout....have yet to time it correctly...

Bull thank you. By the time I was able to get over there they had over half of them finished. Wished I had know sooner. Good luck, Mark

Mark, congrats on finding more of the good stuff! Your dedication to the cause, sure pays off. Impressive to be at #37. I look forward to seeing what #38 and more will be next. HH & GL!

Thank you John, talk about dedication. I doubt I could survive one of your clad fests you seem to pull off on just about every outing. Good luck, Mark

Nice recoveries. Good looking silver.

Thank you

Just checked a block long sidewalk tearout here in town, nada zip nothing not even a grunt of iron. Have never found anything in a tearout yet.

I know the feeling, I've never had much luck with them either. Staying close to home this weekend I didn't have too many options but it payed off. Good luck, Mark

Awesome hunting Mark!

GS Thank you. Not getting out as much as I would like. Good luck, Mark

Congrats!đź‘Ť

Thank you Metaladdict

Great hunting , congrats !

SS thank you.

Very nice hunting Mark! 9/10 tearouts seem to be busts for me. I'm wondering if I'm getting to them too late. These sidewalk projects seem to move along pretty fast. Congrats, and good luck out there!

Thanks Jeff, I hear ya most tearouts aren't worth the effort. Like I said that or the local pounded park was the only options that day. Last time I was there I saw dozens of sloppy plugs. Between dectorist shows. Youtube and the popularity of the Equinox seems like everybody and there brother has taken up metal detecting. I remember you posting a welcome to our 50,000th member not too long ago and since we have picked up over 5,000 new members. It won't be long before the copper memorial will be considered a cool find. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on the silver Mark. I see along with the Buff you also have a half dollar- they are always fun to recover! 37 silvers so far- that is impressive....once the cool fall weather returns that's likely to rise substantially

Congrats on the silver Mark. I see along with the Buff you also have a half dollar- they are always fun to recover! 37 silvers so far- that is impressive....once the cool fall weather returns that's likely to rise substantially

Charlie thank you. I agree, I can't wait for cooler weather. The half was a perfect 36-37 signal inside and old stone foundation I thought silver for sure so when clad popped out I just shook my head. Still a fun find but out of place as much as someone digging a Reale in a modern park. Good luck, Mark

Nice. Really like that Oldsmobile token.

GTL Thanks I get a kick out of finding them. Over the years I have maybe dug 6 or 7. They sound really great and many times I thought I had silver when I was digging. A guy I hunt with sometimes just dug one on Sun. Good luck, Mark

Back
Top Bottom