Out-of-place gem of a coin!

Schweddy

Elite Member
Hi all. Went out again with my best diggin bud, ‘Hole lotta fun’ yesterday. As is often the case, we had nowhere in particular to go. Just ‘out and about’ as the Canadians say(go ahead - say it).
Anyway we both had some luck earlier in the day with some silver. Eventually we ended up at a former school site where there now sits a fire department and a credit union. We were hitting the curb strips hoping for a merc, Rosie or silver Washington. I hit a relatively shallow quarter signal and dug expecting a clad quarter.
Out pops a non silver coin/token. I holler over to my Bud, ‘Hey! I got a cool token! I think it’s a good luck token or something.’
Nope! An 1847 1/10th Real from Nuevo Granada(Columbia).
What in god’s green earth was that doing there?! A curb strip. Around a school from the 40’s. In a neighborhood not likely that much older.
Just goes to show - you never never what’s going to pop up when or where. I honestly believe that’s what make this hobby so much fun.
Thanks for reading and happy hunting all!

Attachments

• 211E794F-B31F-4111-A0DB-67B998D91E40.jpeg
    211E794F-B31F-4111-A0DB-67B998D91E40.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 614
  • 5BEB6474-4C21-4CCC-914E-7E6779029AFB.jpeg
    5BEB6474-4C21-4CCC-914E-7E6779029AFB.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 621
That’s in amazing condition too! We seem to have better luck when we don’t know where we are going don’t we? We’ll have to finish those curb strips soon! Congrats buddy!

I love finding unexplained old foreign coins. Nice job you definitely had a good day.

Congrats on the nice finds! I found a big green Japanese penny last year in an empty lot dated from the 20's or 30's. Don't remember the exact date which took some internet action to decode. Yeah you never know what's going to pop up. I've found probably close to a dozen foreign coins some pretty far flung.

man thats one unusual coin. not an everyday find for sure. thats what gets me excited is the off beat finds.

i will add, a forum member here found a Confederate belt buckle on an abandoned school lot in now whats the extra sketchy side of local town where i work., he did not know the area as he lives in the next town down where i live also. that school was built in WW2 for Naval ordinance base workers. the base closed after the war. the school was thrown up cheaply overnight. i unfortunately got rezoned to it one year. The poorest white folks school and there were many good kids but also some of the most roguish people i have ever met. make a modern TV show. i dealt with many of them as a cop and continue to deal with the folks as a Defense investigator now retired as cop, and its now a very diverse area, and crime worsens every year in that impoverished half abandoned area. shooting gallery. i told the member who i have been trying to meet and hunt with thats a no go area. he said they left it looked so sketchy. the buckle i am sure was lost by a kid who swiped it from somebody. that dirt was pushed up to build school and being red clay the beautiful buckle would have been in bad shape if dropped 150 yrs ago. lots of burglars in the area and when the old folks were being pushed out and dying. worked a lot of burglaries there. there was not any CW activity there. the school closed about 25 yrs ago or better so i am sure it was a drop around then. souvenirs, challenge coins etc are found thats show and tell or stolen from home.

anyway great find great recovery now someone can enjoy seeing it again.

Cool locket. Nice barber. I also found a Portuguese coin 1869 or something near some houses of the 40s.
Happy hunting 👍

Back
Top Bottom