Limiter circuit

rcasi44

Elite Member
I use a Whites MXT which has no volume control. I would like to get a Killer B or Gray Ghost set of head phones. Could Tony give me a little input on the limiter circuits for each of these? I don't think there is much differance in audio quality. I know I can limit volume with the contols on the head set. I want to turn up the phones but limit the peak volume on shallow targets and when pinpointing. Advise is appreciated. Rob

Basically the limiter switch does just that , limit the output volume to the speaker so that oversized or surface signals are "mellowed" and they don't blast out your ear drums. Many don't realize what a great set of headphones like those you mentioned can do to enhance your detecting abilities.

Thanks Tony ,but what I wanted was a comparison of the limiters on the two sets of phones. Does one, the killer B's or Ghost limiter work better. Which limiter of the two do you prefer? Rob

In my opinion they are pretty much the same thing and operate the same way with the same results. I prefer the Grey Ghost as my primary headset.

I finally ordered Rat phones with the limiter. I liked the idea of the replaceable cord. Rob

I prefer Greyghosts and you can order as 'G.G.Ultimates' and have the detachable cord feature.

The limiter in those is a varistor across the speaker.
Normally used in telephones for spike protection.
Only problem is, if they start to limit, all that extra current goes though the volume control wiper. This may eventually burn out the volume control.
Unless they have changed their design very recently.

Back
Top Bottom