Cicada's for appetizers?

Walknstik

Never heard this before in the past but recently learned they are edible and taste a lot like shrimp. So much in fact that people who are allergic to shellfish should also stay away from cicadas because of possible similar allergic reactions. Good to know if one has to for some reason survive like Bear G. naked and afraid with an appetite!

We're supposed to see them here in South Carolina soon but nothing yet, they are supposed to be noisy enough that you'll definitely know they are here :lol:

So far for the most part a no-show here also Gary. Saw a program on Texas Parks and Wildlife that stated copperheads know when they start emerging from the ground cause they love to feast on cicadas. Ha!

So far for the most part a no-show here also Gary. Saw a program on Texas Parks and Wildlife that stated copperheads know when they start emerging from the ground cause they love to feast on cicadas. Ha!

Better the cicadas than you ! :shock:

I think some of the small holes I recently saw in the ground might have been some of them starting to emerge, but no chirping sounds yet :lol:

I remember living in Maryland when they came in the past, definitely remember them being noisy :lol:

Never heard this before in the past but recently learned they are edible and taste a lot like shrimp. So much in fact that people who are allergic to shellfish should also stay away from cicadas because of possible similar allergic reactions. Good to know if one has to for some reason survive like Bear G. naked and afraid with an appetite!

Hey, speaking of cicadas, here is a little story for you to look at when you have time.

Cicada 3301: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada_3301

There is also a pretty cool video. I don't know how to link videos, but just a quick search will do.

P.S. This was a thing we saw about "how to stay safe on the internet" thing at the start of the year.

Copperheads love them and are bad around here. Already had one strike at my leg before I saw it, since they have great camo.

Attachments

• copperheads.jpg
    copperheads.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 255
I heard them for the first time today (I don't go out much). In the distance, they sound like Star Trek phasers running on continuous fire mode.

-- Tom

Lady Northern Va said her dog was making itself sick from eating so many of them. She posted some pictures and they were everywhere.

Went out to mow the lawn on Friday morning and saw this on my front tree. Have another tree covered as well and it's just beginning.

Attachments

• cic1.jpg
    cic1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 185
  • cic2.jpg
    cic2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 157
Skewer some up and roast over a fire with a sauce of your choice and let us know how those "flying shrimp" taste :>) Never seen a school of cicadas that large!

Neighbors trees are just as full so there are plenty to go around. 17 year Brood X they call it. County I'm in is supposed to be hit hard with them. They are expecting trillions of them. Not sure I want to eat them but the birds are already getting quite obese.

Back
Top Bottom