• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What embarrassing things have happened while detecting?

hillbillydigger

Elite Member
Thought this would be an interesting topic for everyone to share their embarrassing tales of hunts that took a bad turn. My embarrassing story is having a squirrel cr@p on my head on Saturday while I was digging a pocket spill under a giant oak tree. It fell from a height, so hit back of my head pretty hard then run down my hair and neck. :( I believe he had recently dined on dogwood berries. Yeah I felt a little insulted seeing as how my fave animal and avatar is a squirrel. That's the worse that's happen to me detecting other than multiple times practically ripping my ears off and strangling myself on the headphone cords and one time hitting my other hand with the Lesche and cutting myself.

I had just got my new E-Trac and it came with a set of headphones so I thought I would try them out because I had never used headphones before. I was hunting on the side of a hill and I set the E-Trac down on my right side so I could dig. I got the coin out of the hole and then filled the hole back up. I didn't realize that I had put my right foot on the headphone cord that was attached to my E-Trac. When I stood up it jerked the headphones off of my head and I lost my balance and fell over my E-Trac and myself and everything else went rolling down the hill. The problem was that I held on to everything and while I was rolling I stabbed my E-Trac screen with my Lesche digger. At the bottom of the hill I was sitting up and completely tangled in the headphones and I looked like a total wreck. When I saw the gouge in my E-Trac screen I felt like crying but there were several teenagers at the top of the hill and they were laughing so hard I had to laugh with them. I use wireless headphones now.

Was detecting in a field behind a school. I was alone, completely alone, and it was early in the morning. I bent down to dig and ripped a nice one.

I then heard a rustle......

Looked around behind me and there was a lady walking her two dogs about 20 feet away. She must have just materialized there or something because she was not there mere seconds before, but she must have heard it. I think it even echoed off the back of the school it was so loud.

She was pretty good looking also.

/sigh

I was on the top of the beach and heard the beep, dug down about 6 inches and almost grabbed a big black power line. I think it was for the new condos. Thank god I didn't being so new, almost got me killed :lol:

Thought this would be an interesting topic for everyone to share their embarrassing tales of hunts that took a bad turn. My embarrassing story is having a squirrel cr@p on my head on Saturday while I was digging a pocket spill under a giant oak tree. It fell from a height, so hit back of my head pretty hard then run down my hair and neck. :( I believe he had recently dined on dogwood berries. Yeah I felt a little insulted seeing as how my fave animal and avatar is a squirrel. That's the worse that's happen to me detecting other than multiple times practically ripping my ears off and strangling myself on the headphone cords and one time hitting my other hand with the Lesche and cutting myself.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Now that was funny! Im sitting here thinking about how this played out. HAHAHA

I usually go detecting in the woods for relics and lately, brass and shells. Well, I thought I would go to a local park area near a ferry terminal just to try something different. The trash was phenomenal to say the least and the treasures were few...one penny. I spent 3/4 of my time talking to folks who were really interested in metal detecting which was great. BUT, while detecting, I noticed a 30-something couple on a bench near to where I was swinging and they were very much into each other. Within minutes, they were REALLY into each other! He carried her to the grass and they proceeded to carry on...I was stunned. Like, get a room folks...I turned to head the other way but wished I had headphones to muffle the "noise". Has anyone else experienced this while detecting?? Now I know why I like the woods so much. Time and a place folks.

I already posted this before.But people abandon towels at the beach.So i used to collect them and take them home to wash and store in my vehicle for water hunting to dry off,wrap around me to change clothes that are wet,keep my car seat dry, etc.Well one early morning i saw a nice new thick towel.Grabbed it and someone had took a dump in it and used it to wipe with!:laughing: Yeah i couldn't get my hands clean enough!:lol:

I usually go detecting in the woods for relics and lately, brass and shells. Well, I thought I would go to a local park area near a ferry terminal just to try something different. The trash was phenomenal to say the least and the treasures were few...one penny. I spent 3/4 of my time talking to folks who were really interested in metal detecting which was great. BUT, while detecting, I noticed a 30-something couple on a bench near to where I was swinging and they were very much into each other. Within minutes, they were REALLY into each other! He carried her to the grass and they proceeded to carry on...I was stunned. Like, get a room folks...I turned to head the other way but wished I had headphones to muffle the "noise". Has anyone else experienced this while detecting?? Now I know why I like the woods so much. Time and a place folks.

Beach hunting you see it all the time.Two school kids last spring break were going at it next parking spot from me.Did all the banging doors etc.That boy didn't care! I'm talking high school kids too!

happened to me this saturday. swinging away kneel down to dig up a quarter and next thing i know stick my right hand right in a pile of dog !@#$%. had my gloves on but was pissed.was camoflaged. didnt see it till it was too late. d'oh!

There I was, a newbie without a pro pointer on my knees waving handfulls of dirt in front of my bounty hunter coil and couldn't for the life of my find the loud target.

Wedding ring Einstein. :roll:

I actually looked around to see if anybody had witnessed this bit of lunacy.

Just yesterday, a beehive fell out of a tree and I managed to step on it. So then the things came swarming around and stinging me all over. I ran toward a clearing, and then stuck my foot right into a massive fire ant mound. So then I ran back into the woods and took off everything except my underwear, (there were thousands of ants in my shoes and pants, and a few bees inside my shirt) thinking the coast was clear. And it was, luckily. But I hadn't noticed that I was sitting right in the middle of a jogging trail, and two teenage boys came walking by, casually staring at me while smoking pot. Never looked the tiniest bit surprised to see a nearly naked girl sitting on a log pulling bugs off of herself.

A few years ago I was working a small park, where they were having an Indian "pow-wow", complete with full native american garb. The group was dancing, beating drums to a tempo that was all but deafening, even with earphones on.

I was swinging near a small stream, when a Native American Chief walked up, dressed to the nines with his eagle headdress, deer skin clothes, right down to the boots made of buffalo skins. We chatted for a bit and as I was starting to bend over to retrieve a coin he poined up and smiled.

"Would you look at that, a bald eagle!"

This bird was sitting in the tree right above us, looking out over the stream, looking for a meal. As I glanced up, the eagle lifted his tail feathers and took the biggest dump I've ever seen any bird take. Like a deer in the headlights I froze as this large pile of dung shot stright down, hitting me square in the face, blinding me.

I choked out "Holy Sh!!," threw everything down and stumbled backwards into the swift moving stream. I was thankful it was summer, and the stream wasn't all that deep, but no matter how much water ran over me I could still taste the poo in my mouth. Tasted a bit like dead squirell and fish at the time, mixed with a few berries.

Trust me when I say it was not a pleasent meal.

After washing the eagle poo off my face, neck, shoulders, chest and arms and spitting out at least a gallon of stream water out of my mouth I stood to stare back up at the eagle, who just screamed ( I still say he laughed) before taking flight.

The chief stared at me for a moment while I stood there in the middle of the stream dripping wet. Shrugging his shoulders he says, "You've just been blessed by Mother Natures most sacred creatures. But in these old eyes, all I can really say is "Sh!! happens!"

With that said he turned, and walked away. I'm not sure but I swear for the first time that day the drums stopped beating and everything went silent. The wife says my ears were just plugged with water.

Me, I say everyone there was waiting to hear what wisdom their chief had to say.

To this day when someone says, "Look there..." I simple look down and quickly walk away.

Was stationed in Maine and had driven to where one paved road ended and became a path. I had researched this road and found that in the early 1800's there were many houses after where the paving had ended but the houses were given up to the forrest when the nearest town sprang up a bit to far for them to constantly travel. They all just moved closer to town and build new houses leaving where they previously lived to rot in the forrest.

I wanted to check out these foundations and drove there. At the end of the road where the path began was a house. Upon arriving and seeing the owner outside I asked him about the area and he told me what he knew. He also told me about a flock of wild turkeys that had adopted his home and protected it like watch dogs....I took this with a grain of salt and began my walk into the woods. I heard this sound behind me after only a hundred yards or so and upon turning around was greeted by the sight of about a dozen well fed wild turkeys heading my direction with a crazed look in their eyes.

I'm not one to be overly concerned with native wildlife unless it is a bear or moose. BUT....These things were bent on stomping a hole in my arse and eating me. Most of the flock stayed about 30 feet away as they drew straws to see which got the next crack at me....Running as fast as they could they would get within 10 feet and jump feet first, wings a flapping with those damned spurs aimed at wherever they could impale me. I was walking backwards swinging my detector and smacking the hell out of whatever I could hit for what seemed like an hour. They just wouldn't leave me the heck alone till I got about half a mile from that guys house. WOW was I worn out when they finally decided to head back. Needless to say I found a quiet way outta the woods when I was done detecting. Got back to my car and I never went back.

Btw if you want something to watch out for your land....dont get a big old dog....Get a wild turkey...They suck.

Each thanksgiving I pretend that one more of that rabid flock sits on the table and am thankful.

HH
Gary

A few years ago I was working a small park, where they were having an Indian "pow-wow", complete with full native american garb. The group was dancing, beating drums to a tempo that was all but deafening, even with earphones on.

I was swinging near a small stream, when a Native American Chief walked up, dressed to the nines with his eagle headdress, deer skin clothes, right down to the boots made of buffalo skins. We chatted for a bit and as I was starting to bend over to retrieve a coin he poined up and smiled.

"Would you look at that, a bald eagle!"

This bird was sitting in the tree right above us, looking out over the stream, looking for a meal. As I glanced up, the eagle lifted his tail feathers and took the biggest dump I've ever seen any bird take. Like a deer in the headlights I froze as this large pile of dung shot stright down, hitting me square in the face, blinding me.

I choked out "Holy Sh!!," threw everything down and stumbled backwards into the swift moving stream. I was thankful it was summer, and the stream wasn't all that deep, but no matter how much water ran over me I could still taste the poo in my mouth. Tasted a bit like dead squirell and fish at the time, mixed with a few berries.

Trust me when I say it was not a pleasent meal.

After washing the eagle poo off my face, neck, shoulders, chest and arms and spitting out at least a gallon of stream water out of my mouth I stood to stare back up at the eagle, who just screamed ( I still say he laughed) before taking flight.

The chief stared at me for a moment while I stood there in the middle of the stream dripping wet. Shrugging his shoulders he says, "You've just been blessed by Mother Natures most sacred creatures. But in these old eyes, all I can really say is "Sh!! happens!"

With that said he turned, and walked away. I'm not sure but I swear for the first time that day the drums stopped beating and everything went silent. The wife says my ears were just plugged with water.

Me, I say everyone there was waiting to hear what wisdom their chief had to say.

To this day when someone says, "Look there..." I simple look down and quickly walk away.

I'm guessing your new Indian name wasn't "Dances with wolves!":laughing:

This weekend I stepped in dog doo. So I get home and put my sneakers on the deck for cleaning. Couple hours later it starts raining and my shoes got soaked, then they froze solid. So probably a write off lol.

Back
Top Bottom