Creekwalking nets a slugplate Indiana beer bottle

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Very hot here last weekend so too hot to scout the June-in-Indiana overgrown bush country so went creekwalking instead. Spotted some shiny so pulled a nice TOC era South Bend, Indiana (about 30 miles east of me) beer bottle. Got these in-situ shots since I had the camera with.

Also found some heartbreaker shards-- Waukesha (Wisconsin) Brewing Co. and some unidentified slugplate milk. The round base is very thick and looks like 1880s to me. We're having drought conditions so the creeks are really low -- a great chance to walk them right now. :yes:

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 612
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 576
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 582
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 574
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 593
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 613
How far do you think that bottle traveled to get where it was found?

Hard to say. This ditch flows from out in the county (farm area) and eventually into Lake Michigan. There could be a creekside dump somewhere way upstream that is eroding and releasing these bottles. There is MUCH modern trash also, so these old finds are good. We need some good day rains to bring up the flow and hopefully some more glass. Drought right now.

Neat finds!
Waukesha is a city located about 15 miles west of Milwaukee, and it looks like that shard says Milwaukee.

Congrats on an awesome find!

Over the years, I've hunted the creek and left behind common beer bottles. The creek will later reach flood level. Next time I go back the same bottles will be in the same place. I don't get how they stay put.

Congrats on an awesome find!

Over the years, I've hunted the creek and left behind common beer bottles. The creek will later reach flood level. Next time I go back the same bottles will be in the same place. I don't get how they stay put.

IDK but this creek pictured flows south to north from the county and eventually into the big lake (Michigan). After a good rain, all that water from upcounty runs fast and sometimes erodes the banks and washes out culverts.

This is when it gets interesting looking for newly uncovered dumps and bottles. The creeks that run east-west are much more calm and are more like you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom