• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Here's idea to thwart porch pirates

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Here's idea. Could be very profitable.
We see porch pirate stories on news loads last few years.

How about a company starting to make lockable storage boxes. Could offer various colors and sizes. Electronic changeable code to open.

Would need to be water proof/ resistant.

How would these work.

Consumer orders some thing. When they order code is supplied to vendor for lockable box along with location of where container is located at home or business. Vendors would have to make their sites to allow info to be entered. Vendors would need to start reporting actual dimensions of each package via to carrier so it would be revealed in tracking info. Some of this already happens I think.

Code can be changed whenever owner wants to.

This would eliminate fed ex, ups, USPS drivers from even doing door knocks of non signature required packages.

Another feature could be have container where owner can set to have one time door opening (no code required) say for a carrier then when door is opened and package(s) is placed inside door closed. Cannot be opened unless code is used.

Porch pirates would not know of package was in container or not unless they witness it placed in there.

Make the container with serial number registered with company by owner with password.
If container is stolen owner reports to company. The thief could never get combo code for proper opening or future use as they would have to talk to company and get code- they would have no record of their owning container plus thief wouldn't know password.

If container's ownership is transferred previous owner must report to company's site and new owner must register a certain allotted time after transfer of ownership.

Here's idea. Could be very profitable.
We see porch pirate stories on news loads last few years.

How about a company starting to make lockable storage boxes. Could offer various colors and sizes. Electronic changeable code to open.

Would need to be water proof/ resistant.

How would these work.

Consumer orders some thing. When they order code is supplied to vendor for lockable box along with location of where container is located at home or business. Vendors would have to make their sites to allow info to be entered. Vendors would need to start reporting actual dimensions of each package via to carrier so it would be revealed in tracking info. Some of this already happens I think.

Code can be changed whenever owner wants to.

This would eliminate fed ex, ups, USPS drivers from even doing door knocks of non signature required packages.

Another feature could be have container where owner can set to have one time door opening (no code required) say for a carrier then when door is opened and package(s) is placed inside door closed. Cannot be opened unless code is used.

Porch pirates would not know of package was in container or not unless they witness it placed in there.

Make the container with serial number registered with company by owner with password.
If container is stolen owner reports to company. The thief could never get combo code for proper opening or future use as they would have to talk to company and get code- they would have no record of their owning container plus thief wouldn't know password.

If container's ownership is transferred previous owner must report to company's site and new owner must register a certain allotted time after transfer of ownership.

I thought I had remembered seeing things like that already available so I did a quick search and found one such example (I just did a quick search but it looked like there are other versions too)

https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Package-Delivery-Lockable-Compartment/dp/B07RJ6QHCH

(it is a little pricey but for those who live in locations where it is a frequent problem I guess might be worth it)

Back
Top Bottom