Experiment

Metal detecto

Elite Member
So I need to do a huge report at the exact END of school. BUT we are going to Korea 2 weeks before that, next Friday :shock:. So I need to get an idea, collect some data, and basically do a Google Doc on it. Like a science show. But virtual.

Here it is:

Question: Does dry sand or wet sand produce more targets?

For the last few weeks, I have been hunting the dry sand for this project. Every Saturday, at the same time, the same place, for the same amount of time.

Oridginally I planned to hunt the wet sand + dry sand, but there was way too much fluxuation in data.

SO. If any bay area hunters could just post the average amount of the following:

How much clad in one day (average):

How much junk in one day (average):

How much bling in one day (average):

... it would be VERY helpful.

And you can just guess, like say, an average of $5 a day roughly, 15 pieces of junk, maybe one piece of bling. Like that.

The teacher actually once rented a metal detector on a trip to Hawaii, so I'm sure she will like it.

Thanks!

Josh

So I need to do a huge report at the exact END of school. BUT we are going to Korea 2 weeks before that, next Friday :shock:. So I need to get an idea, collect some data, and basically do a Google Doc on it. Like a science show. But virtual.

Here it is:

Question: Does dry sand or wet sand produce more targets?

For the last few weeks, I have been hunting the dry sand for this project. Every Saturday, at the same time, the same place, for the same amount of time.

Oridginally I planned to hunt the wet sand + dry sand, but there was way too much fluxuation in data.

SO. If any bay area hunters could just post the average amount of the following:

How much clad in one day (average):

How much junk in one day (average):

How much bling in one day (average):

... it would be VERY helpful.

And you can just guess, like say, an average of $5 a day roughly, 15 pieces of junk, maybe one piece of bling. Like that.

The teacher actually once rented a metal detector on a trip to Hawaii, so I'm sure she will like it.

Thanks!

Josh

be sure to keep good records of your trip to Korea , might be your first assignment next school year . "what i did for my summer vacation" maybe a journal listing what you did , where you visited and what you find, backed up by lots of pictures.

be sure to keep good records of your trip to Korea , might be your first assignment next school year . "what i did for my summer vacation" maybe a journal listing what you did , where you visited and what you find, backed up by lots of pictures.

I bet "I went detecting in Korea and found (insert something valuable here)" won't be on the list!

Well instead of this, I think I can use my "finds journal" that I noted when I first started.

It still would be good to have another member here help "back it up", but I think some data from 2020 will suffice. :D

Josh

I bet "I went detecting in Korea and found (insert something valuable here)" won't be on the list!

Well instead of this, I think I can use my "finds journal" that I noted when I first started.

It still would be good to have another member here help "back it up", but I think some data from 2020 will suffice. :D

Josh

Didn't know if schools still did that ,been a very long time since i was in school, way back last century .:laughing: Seems like the first thing English teachers would ask on a new year was what we did over summer vacation. We then had to write a paper on it. Mine were never very exciting visit my grand parents in southern Missouri , ride our bikes , play with friends etc. lived in a small town , tv was black and white and had about 3 stations , was a big deal to get a pocket size AM radio , no computers , no cell phones , you could get candy bars for 5 cents .

Didn't know if schools still did that ,been a very long time since i was in school, way back last century .:laughing: Seems like the first thing English teachers would ask on a new year was what we did over summer vacation. We then had to write a paper on it. Mine were never very exciting visit my grand parents in southern Missouri , ride our bikes , play with friends etc. lived in a small town , tv was black and white and had about 3 stations , was a big deal to get a pocket size AM radio , no computers , no cell phones , you could get candy bars for 5 cents .

Pretty sure you're basically in nostalgia heaven... :lol:

Just when I thought I finished everything for today, another email from the teacher comes... Guess how I'm feeling right now. (clue: :mad:)

Now I shall log out for the 5th time...

I bet the next post I do is going to be in korea! :D

Josh

Just when I thought I finished everything for today, another email from the teacher comes... Guess how I'm feeling right now. (clue: :mad:)

Josh

Just giving you a idea of how diffrent things were in school back then in the dark ages. Even now i drive a pick up almost 3 times as old as you. :laughing:

Are you trying to isolate the effect of the water? Because people also put their towels above the high tide line. So counting finds won't isolate the physical effects of the water from where people sit, drop change, take off jewelry, slather on lotion - my wedding ring slipped right off one time when I was putting on sunscreen on the beach.

Leaving aside the hard-to-quantify halo effect (perhaps defensible by saying it's weak where the sand is moved by wind and wave), an experiment with a plastic bucket full of sand, without and then with salt water, would give you good data. Easy to do, as long as you're not staying in downtown Seoul the whole time. You can alter depth, ferrous vs. non, orientation, ground balance, in a reproducible way. But I'm speaking as a science professor -- if this is a statistics project or something then clearly you're outta luck. Because math profs are bonkers.

Are you trying to isolate the effect of the water? Because people also put their towels above the high tide line. So counting finds won't isolate the physical effects of the water from where people sit, drop change, take off jewelry, slather on lotion - my wedding ring slipped right off one time when I was putting on sunscreen on the beach.

Leaving aside the hard-to-quantify halo effect (perhaps defensible by saying it's weak where the sand is moved by wind and wave), an experiment with a plastic bucket full of sand, without and then with salt water, would give you good data. Easy to do, as long as you're not staying in downtown Seoul the whole time. You can alter depth, ferrous vs. non, orientation, ground balance, in a reproducible way. But I'm speaking as a science professor -- if this is a statistics project or something then clearly you're outta luck. Because math profs are bonkers.

I was going to see if dry sand or wet sand yielded more targets. This isn't a statistics document, so just some rough data and averages will get me to a decent ends of the year project.

Here's the rough draft I did:

When metal detecting at the beach, there are two types of "sand", the wet sand and dry sand. Blah blah blah blah blah (about why we detect the wet).

I got this data from my finds journal I had from when I started.

So. The average hunt in the wet sand is $3.41 in clad, 0.6 pieces of jewelry (this is in math, I don't get 6/10 of a ring or something :lol:) and 14.9 pieces of junk.

Dry sand: $3.98 in clad, 0.3 pieces of jewelry, 26.7 pieces of junk.

Conclusion: The dry sand pros: More clad (money), easier to dig.

The dry sand cons: Less chance of jewelry, more junk.

Wet sand pros: easier to walk, twice chance of the jewelry, less junk

Wet sand Cons: WET sand, not as much clad, requires big scoop.

So, if you read through this and don't see anything SUPER wrong, if you could give a "A-okay" so I have something to base my "experiment" from.

Thanks!

Josh

Looks great, but make sure you display the units you mean to. Are those averages of $/hr? But I'd give you an A-okay! Throw in something about eddy currents and inductance and you'll blow your teacher away!

Looks great, but make sure you display the units you mean to. Are those averages of $/hr? But I'd give you an A-okay! Throw in something about eddy currents and inductance and you'll blow your teacher away!

Thank you! Yes, those are $/hr.

Eddy currents seem like a great idea, I wonder if she'll be interested in PI or ZVT... :lol:

Josh

That's about what I was expecting to see. Dry sand where I am is loaded with garbage, you can actually see pulltabs and bottlecaps as you walk across it to get to the water.

That's about what I was expecting to see. Dry sand where I am is loaded with garbage, you can actually see pulltabs and bottlecaps as you walk across it to get to the water.

Thank you, zeemang! I know, the dry sand is much more littered because the tide can't sweep the light stuff away.

Looks like I have 2 people helping me! Thanks! :D

Josh

Josh

Your Korea trip inspired this funny edit:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3315734#post3315734

(I know the previous one was of you also, but I figure you might be offline a while once you're on your way to Korea, so this extra one will help last you till later :lol:)

Josh going to Korea for summer vacation

Your Korea trip inspired this funny edit:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3315734#post3315734

(I know the previous one was of you also, but I figure you might be offline a while once you're on your way to Korea, so this extra one will help last you till later :lol:)

bet he will have extra time while waiting in quarantine over there for a couple of weeks looking out his hotel room window , while dreaming of hitting the beaches there.

bet he will have extra time while waiting in quarantine over there for a couple of weeks looking out his hotel room window , while dreaming of hitting the beaches there.

I'm dreaming of being free of all this work... TIME CRAMP!! Heck I don'thave time to space everything out and puta period

Jos

P.S. No, I do not spell like that, it was only for humor purposes. :D

MD Where I live here in Northern Michigan it is mostly sand. What I have found is dry sand depth of, lets say a clad quarter is +-8" with my ETrac. The closer I get to waters edge the depth does go farther down, but I start getting some erratic readings, and I don't have salt water to contend with. No two places are really the same and your research should be a collection of no less that four different sites pretty much the same, and same hunting techniques. Keep close track of your findings, and you will have a good idea what you have to deal with in future hunts. Hope this helps.

MD Where I live here in Northern Michigan it is mostly sand. What I have found is dry sand depth of, lets say a clad quarter is +-8" with my ETrac. The closer I get to waters edge the depth does go farther down, but I start getting some erratic readings, and I don't have salt water to contend with. No two places are really the same and your research should be a collection of no less that four different sites pretty much the same, and same hunting techniques. Keep close track of your findings, and you will have a good idea what you have to deal with in future hunts. Hope this helps.

Thank you, Hoser! I have kept the hunts all in the same place, and I kept the hunts spaced the same amount. I was VERY lucky and had some of my recent dry sand hunts, to have the battery on the equinox to die, so I had to use my V440 (I was using that for the older wet sand hunts, so same machine too.)

I keep my finds journal in my pouch, so I can "relive" the days when I was hunting on 1 bar of sensitivity just to make the chatter go away. :lol:

Josh

Back
Top Bottom