A number of Indian Head Pennies found.

kelpike

Elite Member
I've been hunting the yard of a house we have been working on for a few weeks. The house is the first or second house built in that town and has some decent history. So far I have only found 3 old horseshoes, a completely shot rusted pocket watch, a few pieces of lead pipe, a few newer coins, many rusted cans, and a ton of rusted chunks of steel. I was about to leave the job and decided to search for a half hour or so. When I was done hunting and decided to leave I had another signal that sounded decent. It ended up being an Indian Head Penny. I was pretty excited to finally find an old coin on that property. After rechecking the hole I ended up finding 8 more IHP in a space about the size of a table place mat. I searched all around that area and found one more less than two feet away from the first hole. They are in pretty rough shape. After only rinsing under the faucet, the top 2 show dates of 1891 and 1883. The bottom 2 are unrecognizable. Hopefully with some cleaning I can get a few more dates off of them. The next day I fanned farther out from where those were found and about fifteen feet away I found 8 more. Not all in one hole but very close to each other. The second batch are also in very rough shape. I can only read one date, 1889. I can't imagine how 18 pennies were lost in an area like that but no other coins were there.
20210610_212920.jpg2.jpg
20210610_213016.jpg2.jpg
20210612_105400.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on tracking down the whole tribe! That's a lot of IHP's for one yard. Ought to be some silver hiding there somewhere.

Great finds. Odds are you found the locations of both ends of an old clothesline. Check very hard between both those points. Good luck

Wow don't think I ever saw anyone find that many Ihps in one yard. Nice haul and congrats. Please don't use water to clean old copper, there are better methods. Good luck, Mark

Children wrestling

Children rolling on ground, wrestling, good way to loose most of your pocket change! Webekin

Clean them

I have used steel wool and soap no water. Use water only to wipe off the slough. Those unreadable pennies will be shiny

A month or two ago i found, i think, 13 modern pennies, all on the surface in the grass in a small area too. If i hadn't found them someone a hundred years from now would be wondering about such a spill of rare coins.

Great finds. Odds are you found the locations of both ends of an old clothesline. Check very hard between both those points. Good luck
Good point, I never thought of a clothesline. It is quite a distance from the house but is still a possibility.
Wow don't think I ever saw anyone find that many Ihps in one yard. Nice haul and congrats. Please don't use water to clean old copper, there are better methods. Good luck, Mark
I wish I knew better than to use water and I learned a hard lesson. Like the post stated, I was able to read dates on 2 of the coins from the first batch. Here comes the lesson, after soaking them overnight in detergent and a shot of water, I was only able to read a date on 1 of the 2 I could originally read.

Back
Top Bottom