• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How do I turn Detecting into a career?

FL-UdigIt

Detecting has become addictive (I'm being told by my wife), so how do I turn this into a career. They always say, do what you love, and love what you do. I've found my niche, so how do I turn it into a career? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
excavating business.
(You) the owner is required to run a metal detector over any and all ground space before excavating/digging. Tell the property owners it helps keep your insurance down, in case you hit any underground services, or metal to break the equipment.
Then outsource the Excavating part of the project. (making 20 % commission of each job).

Treasure hunting education classes
Or buy 10 low end detectors. and setup a Metal Detecting Rental Studio on public beaches. Charge them to rent the machines, make test areas, and give lessons. and show them this forum, explain where they can get machines/equipment.

that were my on the fly responses. I am sure I could think of something a little better.

Detecting has become addictive (I'm being told by my wife), so how do I turn this into a career. They always say, do what you love, and love what you do. I've found my niche, so how do I turn it into a career? Any suggestions?

maybe it's my location, but in approximately 150 hours of detecting this year, i've dug up a total of about 18 dollars. when i'm at work, i make nearly that amount in one hour!
you might find that when a hobby becomes work, it might not be so fun anymore. that's not to say that you can't become a professional treasure hunter, others have done it. some come out ahead, some don't.
all i can say is: do tons and tons of research and you might do alright! :yes:

Pete

I honestly dont know how anyone could turn this into a career unless they were selling/renting the equipment. I do see people supplementing their income with gold finds on the beach, but at some point, it seems like it would turn into a mundane chore rather than a hobby you enjoy.
I wish I could do it more, but I would also be afraid I would get burned out if I did it all the time.

We all wish there were a way to turn the hobby into a career. Its a shame but there really is no way to make a living with a metal detector. Even trying to sell them would be a bit pointless since there are already so many dealers out there competing for the limited market and already offering low prices to improve sales. You could offer your services to help people find lost stuff but that wont generate much profit either.

My pt business has generated $90 since May of this year which basically pays for the business cards and truck signs and gas burned thus far. I'll probably end up with a small profit at the end of fall, but I doubt I'll be making a mortgage payment with it!!

Dusty

If pull tabs were rare, I would already be rich.

I seriously considered committing 15 hours a week to beach detecting as a way to get extra $$ for whatever, but it has not happened. Too much traffic.

Plus, you don't always get much for your time.

I love doing it, so I won't quit, but other than some gold from time to time, there is not a good living to had from clad and bling.

Last edited:
extra cash yes but don't quit your day job

Last edited:
There is absolutely a way to make a living at this, and I am headed in that direction myself. I used to ba a kitchen/bath remodel contractor, until the economy tanked. Now, I'm about to rent my house out, and move up to the treasure coast and rent a little efficiency so that I can treasure hunt full time. The key is to be as financially lean as possible. I have no wife/kids and no debt whatsoever. Another key factor is flexability. You have to be ready, willing and able to travel great distances on short notice. You have to diversify. Think-modern jewelry on beaches, shipwrecks, civil war relics, ghost-towns, gold prospecting, buried cashe's, meteorites, etc, etc.

I was up on the treasure coast a couple of weeks ago, hanging out with the crew of the Gold Hound. They are salvagers with lease rights to the 1715 fleet. They were working a spot about 50 feet off the beach. While we were standing on the beach talking, these two guys walked up and joined us. I think one was an investor, and knew the crew. The other guy, who's name was Bob( I think they call him Beach Bob), turned out to be the most prolific non-professional treasure hunter I have ever met. He had two photo albums of his finds. Hundreds of photos, with some pics having dozens of objects in them. There was a spanish conquistador helmet from the
1500's, a half dozen spanish swords, hundreds of silver and gold coins. He actually discovered an old ship that was upside-down on the beach. It was right there in plain sight, but it was covered in sand and had wheat grass growing on it, so it looked like a sand dune. He recovered many silver and gold coiins from that wreck. The guy who was with Beach Bob, said that Bob's house was more impressive than the Mel Fisher museum in Sebastian. The guy has easily found more than 1mil in treasure, over 30 years. The crew of the Gold Hound, who are seasoned treasure-hunters and are not easily impressed, were in total awe of this guy and his stories.

When I told my family and friends what I want to do, I get nothing but negative feedback. They think I'm a wackjob. That's ok. I am going to show them. One day they will be begging me to put them in my will. Can you make a living metal detecting? Definitely. The question you have to ask yourself is, are you willing and able to do what's necessary to make it happen?

Go for it man! I believe in you! You sure do got the passion.

but if i lived within walking distance(to save gas) from a popular tourist beach and was the only one around with a detector then i'd go for it :lol:

if your huntin parks and tot lots for clad.....never, the only way to support yourself would be strictly hunting beaches for gold jewelry, if you can consistantly pull 2 or 3 rings out or more a day then i'd think it could be possible...the key word is consistantly

retire with a lot of money in the bank

I am not sure its realistic , unless you have retirement or social security coming in too. But that is something a person would have to find out on their own. Good luck scoundrel , I hope you do well.

Back
Top Bottom