Dan's Old-Time Radio Corner - Podcasts

dan

Elite Member
Dan's Old-Time Radio Corner - Boston Blackie

boston_blackie.jpg

He first appeared as a jewel thief in a pulp magazine in 1914, then he showed up in the silent movies, then in the talkies, and then on the radio. Finally, he had his own TV show in the early 1950s.

I'm talking about Boston Blackie.

He was played in the movies and initially on the radio by Chester Morris, but Richard Kollmar (husband of Dorothy Kilgallen) took over the radio role the second year and held it until the show went off the air in 1950.

This episode, Murder With an Alibi, originally aired on March 5, 1946.

Listen at http://radiofun.info.

Dan's Old-Time Radio Corner - Lights Out

lightsout.jpg

Have you ever heard Bill Cosby's routine about being terrified by a horror show on the radio when he was a kid, about a giant chicken heart?

Well, that show was a real episode of Lights Out, a program that offered horror and the supernatural every Wednesday night.

Lights Out was created by Wyliss Cooper (top photo) in 1934, and taken over by Arch Obeler (bottom photo) in 1936.

This episode, Cat Wife, is one of the most popular shows of the series, and it was repeated several times.

This version stars Boris Karloff, and it originally aired on April 6, 1938.

I liked "Oxychloride X", another runaway science experiment, but with a different ending. I don't know that there's an episode of "Lights Out" or "Quiet, Please" that I haven't enjoyed.

-- Tom

Lights Out Everyone! My father brought home a record from his office when I was a kid. It was a record of the story about people being turned inside out by the "smoke." Very scary. I was 11 years old and remember it well.

Dan's Old-Time Radio Corner - A Day in the Life of Dennis Day

dennisday.jpg

Dennis Day had TWO radio shows, and Jack Benny had only one. Dennis often kidded Jack about that on the Jack Benny Program.

This is Dennis Day's second show - A Day in the Life of Dennis Day. It ran from 1946 to 1951.

In his own show, Dennis played the same naive young innocent that he played on the Benny show. He had a girlfriend named Mildred whose parents couldn't stand him, and he had a boss named Mr. Willoughby, played by the great John Brown.

This episode, Second Job, originally aired on October 22, 1947.

Dan's Old-Time Radio Corner - The FBI in Peace and War

fbipeaceandwar1.jpg

In 1943, a little-known author named Frederick Collins wrote a best-selling book called The FBI in Peace and War.

A year later, CBS radio turned the book into a weekly series starring Martin Blaine as field agent Sheppard.

The program remained one of the best-rated crime shows on radio until it went off the air near the end of the old-time radio era, in 1958.

This episode, Unfinished Business, aired on August 2, 1951.

Dan's Old-Time Radio Corner - Tales of the Texas Rangers

talestexasrangersmccrea.jpg

Great news!

It is now possible to get automatic downloads of new In the Old-Time Radio Corner shows as they are posted, without getting my other shows.

Go to http://danhughes.libsyn.com/rss/oldtimeradio and subscribe only to the old-time radio podcasts.

Tales of the Texas Rangers was on the air from 1950 to 1952 as a radio show, and from 1955 to 1957 as a TV show. It was an adult show on radio, and a kids' show on television.

The radio version starred film star Joel McCrea as Texas Ranger Jayce Pearson, and it was rather like a western version of Dragnet. McCrea used modern police procedural methods to solve Texas crimes.

This episode, White Elephant, first aired on July 15, 1950.

I like the Old Time Radio, but I would really like to get an "In The Treasure Corner" podcast EVERY week. Please, Dan!

I love your "In The Treasure Corner" shows. I have every one of them on my Zune. I would really love a show EVERY week. Thanks, Dan!

I like the Old Time Radio, but I would really like to get an "In The Treasure Corner" podcast EVERY week. Please, Dan!

Lawdog, it's all I can do to come up with a new one every TWO weeks! After 79 shows it's nearly impossible to come up with new stuff (that is worth your time to listen to).

Plenty of MD topics you can explore! But sharing them with the other show casts you do may prove difficult. Ever consider more videos?

Plenty of MD topics you can explore! But sharing them with the other show casts you do may prove difficult.

Treasure magazines have been around since the 1960s, and they are still going strong (well, a few of them are). BUT, if you look at a treasure magazine from 1971, for example, you'll find the same tips and tricks and themes and advice that you see in today's magazines. In other words, except for new detector reviews, there is a lot of repetition in treasure magazines over the years.

But I don't have the luxury of repeating myself with my podcasts. Magazines can get away with it because few of today's treasure hunters have seen those old magazines. And if they have seen them, they don't remember them.

But all of my shows are just a click away, even the ones I did three years ago. So repeating ideas won't work for me.

I'd love to do a show a week, and if I had an endless supply of quality topics (and the knowledge to discuss those topics intelligently!), I'd be doing them more often.

But the hardest part of doing the show isn't the writing, or the recording, or the editing, or the posting - it's coming up with a great idea that I haven't already covered. And the farther I get, the harder it gets.

So I'll keep doing new ones every other Thursday, as long as I can think of new ideas.

Ever consider more videos?

Yes and no. The video I did on digging coins (http://creativitycoachingsite.com/treasuremanual/newfreearticles.htm) seemed necessary to me, because so many people have never been trained how not to leave holes.

But where do I go from there? There are about a million YouTube videos on treasure hunting, and I wouldn't want to duplicate what's already there.

My video production skills are pretty much limited to putting the camera on a tripod, starting it, and walking into the picture to do whatever I do. I've always been a one-man team, and with radio that's easy - with video, not so much.

But where do I go from there? There are about a million YouTube videos on treasure hunting, and I wouldn't want to duplicate what's already there.

My video production skills are pretty much limited to putting the camera on a tripod, starting it, and walking into the picture to do whatever I do. I've always been a one-man team, and with radio that's easy - with video, not so much.

I work in TV/Film actually in Houston's largest production company, and yes I agree video is much more challenging to do as a one man band. However, as the ole movie saying goes 'if you build it, they will come'. I believe regardless of how it looks, people will love it. Especially considering that you are in fact someone with more than enough knowledge in this area. Your following would be great.

Have you started a collection of ideas from the general public yet? There is a wealth of knowledge in these forums. I am sure someone would have some ideas.

Maybe with gold/silver being so "in" right now you can maybe divert away from the MD aspect and speak specifically about the qualities, characteristics, and the history behind what makes those two metals a seekers delight.

In all honesty, I haven't been to your corner in a month or two as work has been hectic, you might have already covered a topic like that.

Back
Top Bottom