Computer Tips

Tinhorn3

Well, it was too cold this winter to play out Detector & now it's too hot so thought we might use some tips on using the computer that we use every day that others don't know about. My wife worked the computer every day [B-4 retiring] & showed some of these tips to me & I found some on the Internet.. These tips below are to let people what <are> so you will probably have to read the Internet to learn how using then, etc I'm not a teacher LOL

I hope some guys add some Tips.

Print 2 Seconds = 2¢
ascII [ask-ee] are numbers that means 155 = ¢ and E = 69 etc
click <Num Lock> to numbers & hold <ALT> & 155 & you will have ¢

Everything File Searcher
http://www.voidtools.com/
put CrossCut to bottom tool bar
good SetUp after started: run Everythiing then <View><Sort By> click<Date Modified> usually find new file so...
USE: click <Search> & click <EveryThing> or <Picture> or Video or Folder or ?

SendTo [<rite mouse> a file then <Send To><Folder> (can copy & or move file another folder)
download program from internet: sendtotoys.exe mine shows exe property files = 3/15/2018 2.396 kb

now can use Copy / Paste pretty easier

using Copy / Paste [rite click mouse to a file, to see a menu or Keys <Ctrl>down then <V> or <Ctrl>down then <P> or <Ctrl>down then <C> <Ctrl>down then <X>
<Ctrl>down then <A> Hilites the whole page [and <Copy> / <Paste>on another document

<Find> Word on Page of computer
<Ctrl>down then <F>
works on about any page in Word, WordPad, etc, including page while in Internet [in Forum, <Ctrl><F> and the find(s) is Underlined]

Download [copy Internet Page you are reading into your computer
If you find something on the Internet and want to copy the document to the computer [ like found something interesting on this Forum ] Click <File> at the top of monitor then <Print> and window will list Printer's - select ".PDF" Writer. Windows 10 will automatic show "Printer" for PDF [like a fake printer], This will copy it to a PDF file and will ask for where and name, etc on your computer (want to change fake printer properties to LandScape & longest width [my paper = 13"] cause sometimes it truncates some long lines when printered on the computer)

Windows 8 won't have Fake PDF Printer like Win 10 does but look for "CutePDFWriter" on the Internet and download it to use that

Monitor Tool Bar (down on bottom screen)
Mite add "Created CrossCuts" like "Everything" "Calculater" "DeskTop" " WordPad" "NotePad" (use my memory notes, LOL)
go to "File Explorer", Hilite "" rite click and "Create CrossCuts" to DeskTop then drag the CrossCut down to Tool Bar - get it...
[use <Everything> to find File Explorer.exe to create crosscut]

toggle to desktop

search Google to find out to to that [ maybe called "toggledesktop.vbs" ] and add this to lower tool bar

I see that I have been doing MD'ing too much and need to know these things! :lol: Only thing I know on there is C+P...

Now please don't mind as I try desperately to use the CRTL + F thing...

Josh

another Tip
Firefox & IE
you can hold down the Ctrl button and click <+> to magnify your monitor screen [& <-> to reduce] You can see 200% bigger on the upper rite screen, etc

Download [copy Internet Page you are reading into your computer (above)
I found out Firefox default is NOT to show <Find><Edit><View> etc
look on internet to find how

More in regards to cutting, copying & pasting...
Hold in left mouse click over the words you want to select, or <Ctrl> + <A> to select all, then:
<Ctrl> + <X> = cuts the selected text [if in a text box]
<Ctrl> + <C> = copies the selected text
<Ctrl> + <V> = pastes the selected text, or
<WIN> + <V> = access your clipboard and see/paste recent things you have copied

Switching back and forth between windows you have open on your desktop:
<Alt> + <Tab>

Accessing Windows built-in emojis:
<WIN> + <.>

Last edited:
General Windows Stuff:
Win + Shift + S opens the built in snipping tool in windows 10.
Ctrl + Z will undo whatever you just did (within reason, though. don't expect this to work on everything all the time)
Ctrl + Y will redo whatever you just undid
Ctrl + A will select all text in a document or page, or all files on the screen in File Explorer

Google Chrome Stuff:
Middle clicking on a link opens it in a new tab, and middle clicking on a tab closes it. Ctrl+T opens a new tab, Ctrl+Shift+T opens the last tab you closed. Ctrl+D will save the page you're looking at as a bookmark.
Function keys:
f1 opens the help page
f3 opens the same thing as Ctrl+F
f5 reloads the page you're on, Shift+f5 hard reloads it (this can be useful when a page isn't working right)
f11 fullscreens chrome (hit it again to exit, Esc won't work)
f12 opens the devtools console, which you can't do a lot with that's very useful for general browsing, and don't ever paste stuff into it if someone tells you to, it's almost guaranteed to be a scam.

The above are just ones I could remember off the top of my head, for more keyboard shortcuts, the following pages should be useful: (labelled by topic)

Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/keyboard-shortcuts-in-windows-dcc61a57-8ff0-cffe-9796-cb9706c75eec#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/157179?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Google Earth Pro: https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148115?hl=en

Microsoft Office: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/keyboard-shortcuts-in-office-e765366f-24fc-4054-870d-39b214f223fd

Hope this helps.

Microsoft WORD:

Here's one I've used for years that is pretty cool and you'll love when you try it.

This might SOUND complicated, but is really quite simple once you try it.

OK, here goes: When you need to change the size[point] of a character, word, paragraph, page, etc., instead of highlighting the text to be changed and using the drop-down point-size menu to change from size 12 to 16, for example, and then trying again and again till you get the size you want, try this instead...

The following tip uses the CTRL key plus the left or right square bracket keys [ and ].

NOTE: "Point size" denotes the height of the character font.

Highlight the text you want to change, then using the Ctrl and [ to reduce the size or Ctrl and ] to increase the size. Holding these keys will allow you to see a smooth increase or decrease in text size. Release the left bracket key [ or the right bracket key ] to stop the decrease or increase in text size.

You'll also notice that, unlike using the drop-down character point size feature, you won't be limited to a maximum size of 72-points. I just did a quick sample test in a WORD document, and I got the point size up to 145, and could have kept increasing if I wanted to.

Let me know if you tried this and like it too.

MS-Word is the only application I've found that this works in. EXCEL, WordPad and other Microsoft programs do not support this neat feature. :no:

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning that efficiently using a computer and more specifically, the internet, is a lot more than just keyboard shortcuts and tricks with applications. There's a whole art to effectively searching for things, to getting effective help on forums, and to figuring out things like the keyboard shortcuts quickly. I'm not even all that good at it myself.

Some general tips, though:
Not all search engines are created equal. Not finding what you're looking for on google? Try a different search engine. Some other ones include: bing, yandex, duckduckgo, yahoo, being just a few. There are even search engines that search other search engines for you.
Going to the second page of google is not a crime. There's useful stuff on it too, but apparently the statistic is something like 90% of users don't make it past the first page. (leave it to google to be keeping track of that lol) Worse still, just the top google result accounts for something like 28% of the results people actually click on. The third page and so on, can be helpful too.
In all things, actually read the help and FAQ. Don't think I need to elaborate.
When seeking answers from other people, make it easy for them to help you. When asking a question on a forum, don't title it "Help", describe the issue, and then in the actual post give all the information that stands any chance of being relevant.
Some good reading about how to ask things on the internet:
http://sol.gfxile.net/dontask.html
https://xyproblem.info/
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Those are at least originally intended for specifically programming issues but a lot of it applies to just about anything. They're also written with a bit of an irritated tone, just as a warning.

Back
Top Bottom