Equinox Manual Noise Cancel

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
Has anybody really found the manual noise cancel beneficial? I really never tried it on purpose. After owning the Equinox thru a whole warranty, I thought I would at least tinker with it tonight. I see no use for it, unless it functions better in single frequency, or gold mode programs. Does anybody use manual noise cancel, and what should I know for using it correctly. Auto always works.

Has anybody really found the manual noise cancel beneficial? I really never tried it on purpose. After owning the Equinox thru a whole warranty, I thought I would at least tinker with it tonight. I see no use for it, unless it functions better in single frequency, or gold mode programs. Does anybody use manual noise cancel, and what should I know for using it correctly. Auto always works.

Auto always works?
Yes and no. Noise cancel can be deemed only a good temporary noise cancel.
One may have to do another auto noise cancel on the fly.
I do. And this is usually due to aircraft in the vicinity.
I have even been sweeping EQX over a test bed (deeper) item and the detector would all of a sudden struggle to detect. Do another noise cancel and detector goes back to detecting deeper find in the ground.

So what would happen at a rally where say 5O Eqx unit’s are being used?
Auto noise cancel might not get you there.
You may be picking lesser of the evils (channel wise) using manual noise cancel.

I’ve owned my EQ800 for about 2.5 years, and no, I’ve never tried adjusting the noise cancel manually on purpose…it’s funny that you said it that way, though, because I’m pretty sure I’ve bumped it up or down a few notches by accident many times :lol:

You’ve probably looked in the manual, but page 39 claims that manual noise cancel “can be useful when detecting in close proximity to other detectors, or in locations with lots of electrical interference” (see below). I guess that in some more extreme situations, the frequency shift performed by the auto noise cancel may not find any channel that sounds good to the algorithm, so it just picks one. Allowing the user to listen to each channel manually gives us the opportunity to decide for ourselves which one might be the lesser of the evils.

All that said, I always have just used the auto noise cancel - usually works just fine to minimize noise issues. In high EMI areas, I’m more likely to either adjust my sensitivity down, switch to single frequency mode, or both - the last thing I would worry about doing is try to manually adjust the noise cancel. Whenever I’ve detected with a buddy, we generally keep enough distance that detector interference is a non-issue.

Attachments

• 8A0B9AC1-2277-4B0B-938A-6F2E427B2787.jpg
    8A0B9AC1-2277-4B0B-938A-6F2E427B2787.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Auto always works?
One may have to do another auto noise cancel on the fly…

Yes, excellent point TNSS…to add to my post above, much like auto ground balancing, I find myself doing an auto noise cancel frequently during a hunt. In fact, I do a noise cancel prior to every ground balance.

I've never manually adjusted the noise cancel. I have noise canceled multiple times on a hunt though. When things aren't quite clickin' right. I'll ground balance and noise cancel. It's probably an option that very few use. I would guess the vast majority just auto noise cancel at the start of a hunt.

Now.... IF it WASN'T an option, there would be MANY more complaining about how they couldn't manually noise cancel then there are who actually do WITH the option. :lol:

Auto always works?
One may have to do another auto noise cancel on the fly.
I do. And this is usually due to aircraft in the vicinity.
I have even been sweeping EQX over a test bed (deeper) item and the detector would all of a sudden struggle to detect. Do another noise cancel and detector goes back to detecting deeper find in the ground.

So what would happen at a rally where say 5O Eqx unit’s are being used?
Auto noise cancel might not get you there.
You may be picking lesser of the evils (channel wise) using manual noise cancel.

So, do you use manual mode?

So, do you use manual mode?

Nope. I do auto noise cancel, sometimes numerous too in a hunt.
I used manual mode in a video I did.
I’ll post it here.
I actually had EQX in spot with several other detector of mine.
You may find this video interesting.
Let me find.

Here’s link where I tested/compared Equinox to Etrac. Using different channels.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/7179-equinox-800-and-etrac-emi-tests/

Here’s video where I used other VLF detectors to try and see how EQX would respond after nose canceling. And doing some manual channel changes.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yqc2ypO97Q

Last edited:
Nope.
I used manual mode in a video I did.
I’ll post it here.
I actually had EQX in spot with several other detector of mine.
You may find this video interesting.
Let me find.

I wondered if anybody used manual at all and why. Manual seems totally useless, but I only tested it on purpose today.

Minelab labeled this function Auto Noise Cancel on the 600 and 800. In my opinion it would be better to call it Auto Noise Reduction.

Also, some people do not realize that the Equinox 600 only has Auto Noise Cancel. It does not have Manual Noise Cancel. Only the Equinox 800 has the manual feature.

In my opinion EMI that I have experienced is a rotating frequency. The noise cancel or reduction is a very temporary snapshot. Detectors track the ground minerals and some day they may track EMI.

In my opinion EMI that I have experienced is a rotating frequency. The noise cancel or reduction is a very temporary snapshot. Detectors track the ground minerals and some day they may track EMI.

I've noticed that too, especially with my Garrett AT Max and 540 Vanquish. It'll be sitting quietly next to me as I dig a hole, then will sometimes start getting chatty all of a sudden in a somewhat "regular" pattern.

I don't think I have purposely used manual Noise Cancel. The Equinox is a machine where it definitely pays to get the GB and Noise Cancel as perfect as you can. Just yesterday mine was extremely chatty when I turned it on. Even after auto Noise Cancel I had to bump down the Sensitivity a couple of three points below 20 to get it quite. Luckily after moving half a block the EMI was not as bad.

This is VERY true. When beach hunting I routinely now noise cancel when I get near a new property be it a hotel or business.

I’ve manually noise cancelled a few times. It may have helped a little in a bad emi area. I think it goes from -9 to +9 so that’s a lot of settings to try. I usually just auto noise cancel, but I’ve stood in the same spot and done it multiple times and I’ll get a different numbers. :roll: One thing that I’ve done that does seem to help is that if you can see a known source of emi like power lines, I’ll point the coil directly at them and do an auto cancel. Seems to quiet things down more than holding the coil above the ground like it says in the manual.

Really good point. And an even better wish...to track EMI! If it’s ONE thing that has crippled my hunting more than weather, nails, conductive junk, people....it’s EMI. By FAR.

Back
Top Bottom