• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help to understand Tesoro Vaquero PP/AM

NikfromFarEast

Hi!
Not long ago I bought used MD Tesoro.
I v got few hrs in the morning to hunt near the river.
It's a central beach with sand.
Try to hold PP button and find a small rusty fishing hook...
The question is to hunt with PP button or AM is better?
And a GB should be neutral, neg or positive?
Is there any tesoro users here could tell what the sound good targets has in am/pp Targets like gold...
P. S. Has no gold chain to check :D
Thanks for everyone :signals:

Last edited:
You're going to go crazy digging in fresh water without discriminating. Use it abilities. I still have my Deleon with the Clean Sweep Coil. It is still my go-to machine for the dry sand and hands down I prefer it with its stock coil when digging the dirt due to its very accurate pinpointing. I was sad to see Tesoro go under.

You're going to go crazy digging in fresh water without discriminating. Use it abilities. I still have my Deleon with the Clean Sweep Coil. It is still my go-to machine for the dry sand and hands down I prefer it with its stock coil when digging the dirt due to its very accurate pinpointing. I was sad to see Tesoro go under.

Yes... Today it was very heavy hunt. no good items, a lot of small rusty pieces and some coins1965-2009.
I suppose the disc should be ON...
Gonna get 585 earring for test in disc to save my time and health :D

You need to hunt in DISCRIMINATE mode. Turn the DISCRIMINATE LEVEL knob clockwise until it is just to the left of 5 cent symbol. This will discriminate out iron but allow you to hear most gold items, along with pull tabs and other junk, but you MUST dig the pull tabs to get all of the gold. If you are only hunting for silver items, then you can turn the discriminate know all the way to MAX, but I would not go that far, maybe go to the 3' o clock position to be safe. Most Tesoro detectors make the same beep sound for all targets, so you cannot rely on sound to identify the target. You must learn to thumb the discriminate knob and turn it back and forth to see where the target drops out and stops giving a signal. For example, if you swing over a nickle or a pull tab and get a beep, you can slowly turn the discriminate knob clockwise and see where it stops beeping. It should stop when the knob is just past TAB. Many gold items will drop out just past TAB. If you locate a target and it does not stop beeping by the time you get to MAX, it is probably a dime, quarter, or silver item, or maybe a large target like an aluminum can. Only use the pinpoint to zero in on a target that you have decided you want to dig. Russian coins will be different than US, so lay out all of your coins in the yard and swing the detector over them to get an idea of where they drop out. Good luck, and let us know how things go.

TY for the information.
My vaq can discriminate off small iron at the mark about the foil (no name ) line. But beer caps rusty or new are still make beep.
I ve got a gold pendant 1*0.8 centimetre,so in that sand vaq gave a signal anti foil range with 1.5-2" depth
My friend gave me a very hard target -child's gold earring I think is about 0.5 gramm. So it's the next target to try on the beach where I am hunting as closed an if can open one
To my mind the critical is foil disc for any gold, but would the vaq find this earring -we gonna check ;)

Attachments

• IMG-20210623-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20210623-WA0016.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
To pick up a target that small, you are probably going to need to turn the discriminate knob all the way counterclockwise and hunt in the All Metal Mode. Let us know if your Vaquero picks that target up or not. Many detectors will have problems picking up very small targets like that, so don't be too concerned if yours does not pick it up.

To pick up a target that small, you are probably going to need to turn the discriminate knob all the way counterclockwise and hunt in the All Metal Mode. Let us know if your Vaquero picks that target up or not. Many detectors will have problems picking up very small targets like that, so don't be too concerned if yours does not pick it up.

It was a rain in the morning, so stay at home.
But made an air test.
discrimination knob at line above "iron"mark the sound was steady for 3"-4" but I think in the sand it would difficult or impossible get the same results.
In all metal very close results, but if the Trashhold level higher then a mosquito squeak -target invisible.
So guys keep an eye on the trashhold sound.
Better switch your headphones on Max then trash...

One more day on the beach.
Tried that tiny earring - vaquero has no problem to catch it 1-2" till the foil line at discrim regulator.
So my usual morning hunt gave me 2 dollars in Russian coins :) a lot of small foil peaces, pull tabs beer caps.
So I think the beach will be more cleaner soon. :lol:
And if it was gold there I would get it

Good to hear the Vaquero picked up that tiny earring. Sounds like you are getting some good experience using it. Keep digging the pull tabs and bottle caps and eventually you will get the gold.

Good to hear the Vaquero picked up that tiny earring. Sounds like you are getting some good experience using it. Keep digging the pull tabs and bottle caps and eventually you will get the gold.

The only I understand that Tesoro is realy reliable brand as most of USA goods.
And the detector is not for lazy guy if he or she want to catch nice stuff.
May be this beach is a little bit modern because of registration 2014
And NO waves :(
It's the central beach so all the treasure are in the water I think. Every day there is about a few hundred person walk and lay on the sand.
But only 1/10 go swimming(kids,drunked,crazy)
It's dangerous very bid river with no life guard as in US

Nik,

Do you ground balance your Vaquero before each hunt? Very important to ground balance it at the site you will be hunting. The coil is supposed to be waterproof. Have you tried hunting in the water yet? Have you found anything else with it?

Nik,

Do you ground balance your Vaquero before each hunt? Very important to ground balance it at the site you will be hunting. The coil is supposed to be waterproof. Have you tried hunting in the water yet? Have you found anything else with it?

Hi!
Yes I do balance it every hunt, sometime twice to be sure. I ve got a small problem.. The previous user had broken the coil shield and there is No covers in my country new /used.
The ground balance on my vaq is not so smooth as on video.
It has very sharp line between neg and positive.
To hunt in water it's not a good idea, it has no waterproof
But if not to go deep the vaq is stable.
I used to find coins ~1930, the silver cross imperia period with jeweler's mark

The vaquero seems to go deep if you go a little negative on the ground balance, So I have seen in videos.

Yes a little.
But become unstable.
The deepest variation is pp mode.
I think it needs a 13" DD coil to go deep.
It's very sensitive to tiny items, that's why I ve got that tiny cross on the hunted rehunted rehahanted and so on area... :lol:
Cross about 1.5*1 centimeter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711_215816.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711_215816.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20210711_215827.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711_215827.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 117
I usually try to be near to AM while hunt at the river banks, but the river level Is too high at the moment.
If I wanna go as a relic hunter there's another negative moments-high grass, crazy mosquitoes/midge ,humidity and 30+.
So the summer in my area is non hunting period for the most part of hunters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210712_084137.jpg
    Screenshot_20210712_084137.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 105
Looks a little flooded there! We have hot weather in the the Southeast USA as well. Humid and lots of mosquitoes. I only hunt early or late in the day. Have you tried hunting a ball field or play ground yet? Vaquero should pick up any coins or jewelry lost there.

Looks a little flooded there! We have hot weather in the the Southeast USA as well. Humid and lots of mosquitoes. I only hunt early or late in the day. Have you tried hunting a ball field or play ground yet? Vaquero should pick up any coins or jewelry lost there.

There is a lot of diferensies between your and my ball field. We have No grass there. Dirt and stones only
Different mentality
Different games
No regbi,no baseball as it is

Back
Top Bottom