$23,000 hidden in the wall

Irons

Forum Supporter
If I had found it you never would have heard a peep! :facepalm:
Those old bills would bring a lot over face value if sold on ebay too. :cool:

EDIT: It was an old metal lunchbox

Couple discover 1950s suitcase packed with $23,000 hidden in the walls of their home while doing renovations

A couple recently found a suitcase hidden in the ceiling of their basement
Inside the suitcase was $23,000 in cash wrapped in wax paper
A Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper inside the suitcase suggests that it was hidden in 1951
The anonymous couple say they are using the money to pay off their mortgage

By ASHLEY COLLMAN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lls-home-doing-renovations.html#ixzz4NdTzDzaC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I keep reading of people stumbling across money, why can't this ever happen to me? I continue to find the occasion penny in a gas station/grocery store lot. You're right Irons, I'd keep my trap shut too if I found that. Heck, I'd be so tight lipped that neither my wife nor my girlfriend would know of it.:grin:

Too bad they are not still considered as redeemable for "real" money instead of just being used as fiat "notes".

Those bills were from before they stopped issuing (and redeeming) silver certificates. (whoever hid that money should have converted it to silver first)

Here is a quote from an article:

"Silver certificates were issued between 1878 and 1964 in the U.S. These were representative money and part of the circulation for paper currency. The certificates were originally redeemable for their face value in silver dollar coins, and then for one year, from June of 1967 to June of 1968, for raw silver bullion. Since 1968, silver certificates have only been redeemable in Federal Reserve Notes and are therefore basically obsolete, though the certificates are still legal tender.

The real value of a silver certificate today lies not in its ability to be used as legal tender, but for its value to collectors. The value can vary depending on the year issued as well as the condition. For example, the most common silver certificates were those issued between 1935 and 1957. These look very similar to a regular dollar bill with George Washington on the front. A key difference is that below Washington on a silver certificate dollar it says that it is, "one dollar in silver payable to the bearer on demand."

These silver certificates are typically worth a small premium over face value, with circulated certificates typically selling for $1.25 to $1.50 each. Meanwhile, uncirculated silver certificates can be worth between $2 and $4 apiece."

If I had found it you never would have heard a peep! :facepalm:
Those old bills would bring a lot over face value if sold on ebay too. :cool:

Especially since that money is taxable as income. I would sell it gradually on Ebay.

Cool. That exact variety of $50 from South Bend is on sale for $200 at one site. They'll be much better to break that up.....

Attachments

• 50.JPG
    50.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 239
Well it happens...just look what Brother Foreverich got into last week! That old house was being demolished, and when the track hoe operator made a swing over to the dumpster, all sorts of silver coins and paper money went raining out of the jaws all over the place! He heard about it and got over there and hunted through the storm and mud and found himself all sorts of Silver!

So yeah, theres hidden/lost stashes out there and for sure one of us will find a big one someday! I think about it all the time and leave the house with this in mind....Its a good idea to think ahead when it DOES happen, so a guy has a plan in place....might be a suitcase full of money in a park, along the road, or washed up on a beach, or a situation like in "No Country for Old Men" kind of deal...Whether we post about it or "do the right thing" is another story...knowing me personally, probably not!....:laughing:
Mud

Well it happens...just look what Brother Foreverich got into last week! That old house was being demolished, and when the track hoe operator made a swing over to the dumpster, all sorts of silver coins and paper money went raining out of the jaws all over the place! He heard about it and got over there and hunted through the storm and mud and found himself all sorts of Silver!

So yeah, theres hidden/lost stashes out there and for sure one of us will find a big one someday! I think about it all the time and leave the house with this in mind....Its a good idea to think ahead when it DOES happen, so a guy has a plan in place....might be a suitcase full of money in a park, along the road, or washed up on a beach, or a situation like in "No Country for Old Men" kind of deal...Whether we post about it or "do the right thing" is another story...knowing me personally, probably not!....:laughing:
Mud

or another movie that deals with that type of scenario, " A SIMPLE PLAN "
I'd be keeping my mouth shut! Spending it on the small stuff here and there, spreading it over a wide area.

I keep reading of people stumbling across money, why can't this ever happen to me? I continue to find the occasion penny in a gas station/grocery store lot. You're right Irons, I'd keep my trap shut too if I found that. Heck, I'd be so tight lipped that neither my wife nor my girlfriend would know of it.:grin:

Same here!

Back
Top Bottom