Detecting sports fields.

grf1868

Was wondering if you guys who detect at soccer,football and baseball fields go out onto the actual playing field? I always stick to the sidelines and spectator areas, I realize that cleats tear up fields especially on a rainy day but still feel like someone would get upset if they saw me digging in the middle of the baseball field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So your not allowed anywhere on sporting fields? Like parks and schools?

I hit the sidelines during sports season and save the fields for during the winter. Most of the good stuff is from the sidelines though.

T-man that’s pretty much the way I see it too. Not a lot of players wearing jewelry or carrying change on them during the game. It’s gonna be the fans going crazy after a big play having rings fly off and coins bouncing out of their pockets.

Not a lot of players wearing jewelry or carrying change on them during the game.

At middle and elementary schools, I have had good luck in the field itself also. I have found rings (silver kids and adult wedding bands), necklaces as well as coins. I can assume its the kids playing on them at recess as well as families and older kids using them to play after school hours. Adults out in the fields helping coach kids, etc. For me it depends on how the field is used.

You answer your own question, in this quote from you :

...if they saw me digging ....

Ok, fine then, if they DON'T "see you digging", then presto: Problem solved. Right ?

So, can't you go at low traffic times, when busy-body lookie-lous aren't present ? I do most of my nice manicured turf hunting at night these days. So peaceful. So serene. :roll:

I do go at low traffic times but around here parks and schools are almost always off limits sundown to sunup. So I do go late in the evening,weekends or when it’s raining. but there’s usually other people using the track or something nearby who can easily see me. Then there’s the houses around the fields. Just curious if anyone does actually go out onto the fields. I don’t feel like I’m missing much though. Appears most of the action is on the sidelines anyways.

At middle and elementary schools, I have had good luck in the field itself also. I have found rings (silver kids and adult wedding bands), necklaces as well as coins. I can assume its the kids playing on them at recess as well as families and older kids using them to play after school hours. Adults out in the fields helping coach kids, etc. For me it depends on how the field is used.

This is true, I was thinking of bigger fields for like high schools but one of the middle schools nearby does have a huge field split up into six or eight small kids soccer fields. That one would probably have stuff everywhere.

Was wondering if you guys who detect at soccer,football and baseball fields go out onto the actual playing field? I always stick to the sidelines and spectator areas, I realize that cleats tear up fields especially on a rainy day but still feel like someone would get upset if they saw me digging in the middle of the baseball field.

I try to stick to just the sidelines as well. The one or 2 fields I have gone to clearly have signs posted that say "stay off the playing field with golf, animals or activities without a permit". I don't want to push the envelope and draw any more attention than I probably already do by lookie lous.

....or something nearby who can easily see me. ...

Well, notice what this quote ^^ assumes ? It assumes that "those that see you" care about or object to you. If you start with that mindset, then your body language (perpetually looking over your shoulders, and locking eyes with each passerby, with the persona of "oh no, does he see me ?") will simply become a vicious self-fulfilling look. People notice those vibes, and only THEN ask themselves "gee, what's he doing ?". So instead, you "act like you own the place, and the reality is, no one gives 2 sh*ts about you.

In fact, I find md'ing to be just the opposite : Passerbys will ask "what's the best thing you ever found ?", and "how deep does it go ?", and "where can I buy one of those". So do not start with the mindset that 'everyone hates me'.

.... off limits sundown to sunup...

Re.: the "closes at sunset" type signs at some parks : I know this is probably not going to sit well with some folks on the forum, but here goes : I am of the opinion that those obligatory boiler plate signs are so that the cops can shoo away a late night party. Or shoo away someone who thinks he's going to homestead the park, etc....

For many years I lived across the street from a park with that "closed at sunset" , on the list at the wooden sign. Yet this park connected 2 disparate neighborhoods in my side of town. Connected with a sidewalk through the park. So it was not unusual to (gasp) see someone walking through the park. Or a romantic couple watching the stars there, or whatever. The ONLY time I ever saw the cops come, was a neighbor was getting tired of party noise from teenagers keg party. They came and shooed away the kids.

Most of the high school fields by me are fenced and locked unless a game is being played. Including the school I attended way back when.

That leaves the secondary and elementary schools, which haven't been much good on the fields. :no:

I hunted a large sports park by my house on and off last summer just for fun and clad. I found most of the clad in the areas around the fields. I did not find much at all on the actual baseball fields. The areas leading to and around the concession stand were the big producers. If you are just chasing clad, you might want to consider getting yourself a coin pick. Most of the coins in these areas are very shallow and you can recover most of them without a digger (again, if you are after clad) Anyone that does say anything might be less "offended" if they see you have no digger. I was hunting all around our fields and met up with several sports dads and township workers who merely asked if I found anything good. Nobody said a word to me beyond that.

Tom_in_CA I know what your saying and agree with you, I try to “own the place” and I’ve even purposely gone closer to the road before out of curiosity to see how many passing cars looked, I was amazed at how little anybody even noticed. And if you think about it when your out driving around your probably not trying to figure out what every single person you pass by is doing.

As far as the closed at sunset signs they are part of what I call lazy laws, instead of kicking out the problem individuals just don’t let anybody go there. But I am a little gun shy to head out at night since my last night hunt was interrupted by a very nice officer who was called to see what I was up to. Who I ran into at a school a week later, came around the corner of the building as I was leaving and she was walking towards me. I just laughed and said somebody call on me again. She said no she just saw my truck and was checking it out.

It’s an unoccupied school that has been having issues with people breaking in and vandalism so understandable,

I will detect on actual fields if I know they are old (better chance for something good to be dropped and more possibility due to age) and if I know there isn't in season sporting activity on the field. The finds do seem to be more sporadic on the fields than around the edges where parents/siblings/fans hang out.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos by MDing East Texas with Kevin. He puts out a video each Sunday of his Saturday hunt. The videos are approximately 15 minutes of highlights of a 6-8 hour hunt. He's pulled over 600 rings in less than ten years. He mostly does schools/parks/ball fields. He always gets permission and often does the sporting field itself. Definitely not in season though. I would suggest watching some of his videos for if your more into finding clad and nice rings. Once in a while, he'll go for the older coins, but not often.

Most of the high school fields by me are fenced and locked unless a game is being played. Including the school I attended way back when.

That leaves the secondary and elementary schools, which haven't been much good on the fields. :no:

All of the schools I’ve been to have gates but never seen any even closed let alone locked, But they do have the no trespassing after sunset signs right at the entrance, but I wouldn’t be jumping any fences if they were locked. Plenty of other places to go without fences

Diabolik,
I just use my digger that I keep in a pocket of my finds pouch so it does look like I don’t have anything, unless I’m heading into the woods or a farm field I don’t bring my shovel, I prefer my digger it’s smaller to carry around and I can make a cleaner plug with it, I agree anybody seeing the shovel would be more apt to care than if I don’t have it.
It works pretty good for popping coins too, if I’m sure it’s close to the top I’ll just go where I think I’m under it and pry up, the ground just splits and the coin is right there. No plug or anything just push the ground back down and you’d never know.

Silverhorse65,
Thanks for the info I’ll check that out. That’s a ton of rings. I have like three silver and a couple gold plated. I have always been more into relics and older stuff but more and more find myself hitting areas looking for clad and jewelry. There is a field near me I’m going to try soon that from early 1930’s to mid 1960’s was a baseball field. On historic aerials the ball field disappears mid sixties and it’s now just a grass field that is town owned and public. I have high hopes for that one since its less likely to have been hit very hard where it’s not obviously a ball field anymore. At least that’s what I’m hoping...

Yep, I hunt them. I always use a small trowel though. 2 I have never been questioned. On the 3rd the grounds keeper came to tell me to stick to the sidelines because of the sprinkler system. I showed him my little trowel and he said it would be ok.

Back
Top Bottom