• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Why is a Cemetery a debatable issue?

Man you just don't get it. It has nothing to do with what legal and everything to do what is ethical. Grave robbing is considered taking anything from within the confines of a cemetery. Are you familiar with the tradition of leaving coins on a fallen soldiers grave ? Get caught taking one of those and see what happens.
I have never commented on one of your posts.

The reason, I remember your intro post where you said you didn't like digging or getting your hand dirty. I had you figured for a rodwad then and now you saying you hunt cemeteries confirms my original impression'

Its people like you that give this hobby a bad name and bring criticism en mass.
My hope is that enough members read you statements about hunting cemeteries and refuse to view or comment on any of you many posts. And there is no doubt, for you it all about, views, comments and attention and little to do with mding. And then help you to understand that you have pretty much worn your welcome out here and maybe you will go troll another forum.

You seem like an articulate man, somewhat educated but I doubt your vocabulary includes the word poultroon which come to mind when I think of you. Please don't go away mad. Just ??? You however get one distinction, I will use the ignore feature for the first time just in case you haven't got the subtle hints.

Unfortunately, someone with a deficit of morality who is brazen enough to detect in a cemetery is most likely going to go right up and search next to the headstones while looking behind their shoulder.

People buy plots, they own it, its private property... people also like to bury keep sakes in the ground over their loved ones and wouldn't like some scavenger swinging a coil over their plot removing their items...
Couldn't say/write it better. Keepsakes are often buried over the casket site. Stay away 100 zillion%.

Look we've all MD private property, and in doing so we get permission from the owners, as Cfmct said these people buy the plots that makes the plots private property of the deceased, are you going to be able to get the permission of the owners? I think not, therefore we have no right to MD there. If you think otherwise, then I dare you to go to Salem MA and MD the cemetery associated to the witch trials, or Arlington in DC, let's see how long it takes you to get arrested. You'd be no better than the tourists climbing the Sacred Pyramid in Chichenitza.

It is mainly a matter of respect to me. (My thoughts) Some folks take it further. The family of Jerimia Johnson was massacred because he led a party of men through the sacred burial ground. The party of men probably didn't think it was so sacred but the other folks sure did. You may not think it is so bad but there is probably some one who thinks it is. Most of the time it is private property so! let your conscious be your guide and face the consequence's.

I know of a very old graveyard that is now a historical site. I have walked there and there is quite a bit of coins left on the gravestones. At the time I was amazed that no one had taken these coins. Then I realized that there are a lot more people out there that don't desecrate grave sites and DO honor those that have passed. To hunt private property you get permission for GREAT. But leave the resting place of folks who have passed alone.

It is mainly a matter of respect to me. (My thoughts) Some folks take it further. The family of Jerimia Johnson was massacred because he led a party of men through the sacred burial ground. The party of men probably didn't think it was so sacred but the other folks sure did. You may not think it is so bad but there is probably some one who thinks it is. Most of the time it is private property so! let your conscious be your guide and face the consequence's.
Damn straight

I know of a very old graveyard that is now a historical site. I have walked there and there is quite a bit of coins left on the gravestones. At the time I was amazed that no one had taken these coins. Then I realized that there are a lot more people out there that don't desecrate grave sites and DO honor those that have passed. To hunt private property you get permission for GREAT. But leave the resting place of folks who have passed alone.
Desecration isn't just physical acts like vandalism, honor the memories of these people and their families, let the dead rest in peace, leave the artifacts that the families left or dropped or buried there where they belong.

Just think after you pass that the cemetery your remains are buried in and then you hear beep beep. That would be cool. Especially if you could screw with their detector LOL. Yeah there are plenty of other places to go and annoy people. I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't throw rocks at anyone who does. There may be ghosts there that don't like it and no sense in taking any chances.

cemetery's I believe are sacred places and should be left alone and untouched, as said above Off limits
I have decided over my lifetime that cemeteries are simply ground, and once you are dead, the plot you are buried in is superficial. Might be memories if you went to the funeral but otherwise, it is just ground. It is silly if you really think about it a little.

Personally, I would never hunt a cemetery.

Years ago I found three graves in a valley about 3/4 a mile from Fort Dodge. I was hunting the field and saw an old wrote iron fence in the middle of nowhere. There were three sunken spots in a row about 6'x3' and each had a sandstone marker but if there were any writing at some time it was gone. Around the outside, I found 8 .50 blanks I assumed were from a 21 gun salute, which meant it was military. Reading the fort history I later read about a soldier, his wife & child that died of polio and was buried away from the fort. They were very scared of polio back then. I also assumed that is what these graves were.

Here are a couple of the blanks I found around the outside. Never went inside.

50cal-blanks.jpg

I am really new at this metal detecting thing but personally I would not detect a graveyard no matter what may be found. The dead may be at rest but the live are grieving. Consider how the parent of a deceased child would feel seeing someone nonchalantly beeping and digging away. Earlier in one of the posts someone mentioned a husband who went to his wife's grave every day for the last five years. He probably won't see it as harmless fun. In either case you may become the lightning rod for the pain of the loss.

Worst part is that if they just beat you senseless instead of outright ending you there will be a court case for your assault. Even if you successfully defend yourself you are still probably off to court. Now you just have to convince a judge, jury and the media that you were completely legal or did not understand it to be illegal and your assault was unjust. Let's face it, given how heartless it appears you are you might not want to be seen in public for quite a while after it is over.

My examples are wildly hypothetical but all in all, to me it would not be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom