Scrapple?

Lee1968

Elite Member
A guy from work brought me a "brick" of Scrapple. We are going to fry it up in the morning for breakfast. Neither me the wife, or the dog have ever had it, was curious if you have, give me a head's up of what to expect. I am not a very adventurous eater, but I want to be polite and try it since he brought it back from PA for me. He just insisted "it's good". Thoughts? Warnings? :laughing:

A guy from work brought me a "brick" of Scrapple. We are going to fry it up in the morning for breakfast. Neither me the wife, or the dog have ever had it, was curious if you have, give me a head's up of what to expect. I am not a very adventurous eater, but I want to be polite and try it since he brought it back from PA for me. He just insisted "it's good". Thoughts? Warnings? :laughing:

I think the last time I had it was as a young kid but after learning some of what goes into it I haven't eaten it since :lol:

As far as dogs I'd be very careful to check the ingredients list as some seasonings that might be included might be toxic to dogs (like onions and garlic), personally I would not feed it to my dog.

Anyhow, here is basic info about Scrapple -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Quote from another web site:

".......called "everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal", scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings.....are added."

The wife and i LOVE Scrapple and have quite a bit in the freezer. Originally of Pennsylvania Dutch origin it is seen occasionally in surrounding states. Mostly made from pork, beef scraps, corn meal and spices that are cooked until firm. Fry it up in a pan for breakfast. I prefer mine topped with ketchup but many like it with syrup. Central Pennsylvania is the the epicenter of scrapple making and we look forward to scrapple season. And if you ever get a chance try deer scrapple.

Steve

I’m from the heart of Scrapple making land. I’ve never eaten it. My grandparents loved it. I know lots of people who love it. I’ve seen it being made, hence why I never tried it. Haha

The wife and i LOVE Scrapple and have quite a bit in the freezer. Originally of Pennsylvania Dutch origin it is seen occasionally in surrounding states. Mostly made from pork, beef scraps, corn meal and spices that are cooked until firm. Fry it up in a pan for breakfast. I prefer mine topped with ketchup but many like it with syrup. Central Pennsylvania is the the epicenter of scrapple making and we look forward to scrapple season. And if you ever get a chance try deer scrapple.

Steve

It isn't necessarily of Pennsylvania Dutch origin.
Many variations exist around the world.
In Germany, they have Panhas, and also panhas festivals.

Regardless of the origin, it is good stuff.

I'm from Pennsylvania too,and grew up with people eating scrapple and things like that. It's spicey but I actually like it. When I was living in Jersey and New York working it seemed every diner had ( pork roll egg and cheese) on the menu. .. one of the best things I ever ate in my life, if you've never had one you need to try it.

I'm from Pennsylvania too,and grew up with people eating scrapple and things like that. It's spicey but I actually like it. When I was living in Jersey and New York working it seemed every diner had ( pork roll egg and cheese) on the menu. .. one of the best things I ever ate in my life, if you've never had one you need to try it.

Love pork roll/Taylor Ham!

One roll letf in the freezer...

Thanks for all of the input! My wife fried it this morning, and we just got done with breakfast. We each ate one of the patties, and it was "ok". Not something we would try to get more of, but if I was at someone's place and they served it, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it. I think I would MUCH rather have bacon, sausage, or ham. But at least I tried it and can tell the guy at work about what I thought.

Scrapple was a way to utilize as much of the animal as possible. Folks raised their own animals. waste not, want not was a way of live. You ate every scrap of meet that you could get off an animal.

If you are turning up your nose at eating heart, kidneys, liver and the lungs then quit eating ground beef as all those items are used by All Commercial meat processors in ground beef.

Scrapple was a way to utilize as much of the animal as possible. Folks raised their own animals. waste not, want not was a way of live. You ate every scrap of meet that you could get off an animal.

If you are turning up your nose at eating heart, kidneys, liver and the lungs then quit eating ground beef as all those items are used by All Commercial meat processors in ground beef.
At grandmas, boiled duck feet was something kinfolk fought over. I loved when she served pickled beef heart and tongue just for guests, yummy!

I just now found out the difference between scrapple and head cheese. One uses cornmeal and is cooked, the other is not.

I tried scrapple once. It was good! I asked the host what was in it... they replied:

"Everything from the rooter to the tooter."

Lived in Philly back in the 80's for a few years and was REALLY excited to try me some Scrapple..

I wouldn't eat that a!@%^ again with my Dogs mouth.. grossest !@%^ I have ever eaten in my life.. PURE DISSAPOINTMENT !!!

Back
Top Bottom