• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Sticker Shock Today (Twice)

Lee1968

Elite Member
We usually have to fill our propane tank 4 times a winter season. It had been $1.49 gallon the last time, but today, it was $1.89 gallon. It costs us just over $600 to fill the tank!

After he left, we ran some errands, and I decided to top off the gas tank in the truck. The cheapest gas was $2.69 a gallon. It cost me $32 for just over a half tank! That is up about 20 cents a gallon since the last fill up.

Crazy increases in a short amount of time. Illinois is usually expensive, but this seems like a big jump on both, even for Illinois!

Wow, sorry to hear that, over $600 4X a winter has got to be tough !

As far as gasoline, that is one reason why my wife and I am glad we bought a 2020 Prius Prime EV/Hybrid car last year.

We plug it in an outdoor outlet about 2 to 3 times a week and can go about 25 miles in "battery only" EV mode which is plenty for local driving in our small town as it would be rare for us to drive more than 25 miles locally in one day.

When we travel outside our local town to around the nearest big city (about 25 miles one way) we use the hybrid mode which uses a combination of battery power and gasoline power, we usually do that about twice a week now and overall for all our driving combined we effectively average about 90 miles per gallon.

As far as our house, it is electric only, no gas or propane, thankfully our local electric rates are not bad compared to what I heard some areas charge.

Propane always been pricey here, reminds me I need to mail in for my firewood permit for this year!
Firewood permit - :laughing: Sorry GS I realize your location and now I understand.

Yeah hold on to your wallet, it’s gonna take “a lotta green to go green.”

......... I need to mail in for my firewood permit for this year!

Firewood permit?? Wow, never heard of such a thing. I don't see how you all can do it.
GM said they're going all electric by 2035. I see a lot of problems and cost in infrastructure and power supply.
I'm no economics expert but I believe energy cost are going to go way up. This along with higher minimum wages and we'll see high inflation. If this happens the retirees savings and pensions will be hurt.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with propane anymore but I sure have noticed the price going up and the pumps. In less then a month it's gone up 60-80 cents in Ohio.

We usually have to fill our propane tank 4 times a winter season. It had been $1.49 gallon the last time, but today, it was $1.89 gallon. It costs us just over $600 to fill the tank!

After he left, we ran some errands, and I decided to top off the gas tank in the truck. The cheapest gas was $2.69 a gallon. It cost me $32 for just over a half tank! That is up about 20 cents a gallon since the last fill up.

Crazy increases in a short amount of time. Illinois is usually expensive, but this seems like a big jump on both, even for Illinois!

You have one of the higher gasoline taxes there , if you make a trip across to Missouri much cheaper. Wife filled up her CRV. at Costco was still under $2.00.

Even firewood is getting more expensive, I’ve seen hard oak going for $160 face cord delivered! $80-100 picked up on average. It’s price has doubled in less than ten years.

I can heat my home with a face cord (4’x8’) for about a week and my stove is very efficient. Figuring my time and gasoline, it’s probably as cheap to buy than for me to process trees from my own property. It’s cheaper to run my electric geo-therm furnace as it’s around 140% efficient, but nothing beats the warmth of wood heat.

Im getting my Arkansas firewood permit ready for this year. Excited to use our blower insert that came with home purchase. I think its $20 for 4-5 chords. When I lived in Arizona, it was 10 chords for $20 but all Ponderosa Pine. Gotta get me a new Stihl 362 saw next. Might be a few season before it pays its self off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heat my house with oil and in November it cost me $1.68 per gallon. I just bought some in January and the price went up to $2.08 per gallon, roughly a 25% increase in price. Not too long ago I was paying $1.99-$2.09 for a gallon of regular gas and now it's up to $2.49, another 25% increase.

Im getting my Arkansas firewood permit ready for this year. Excited to use our blower insert that came with home purchase. I think its $20 for 4-5 chords. When I lived in Arizona, it was 10 chords for $20 but all Ponderosa Pine. Gotta get me a new Stihl 362 saw next. Might be a few season before it pays its self off though.

Pass on that 362 ,it's a heavy beast. Get a stihl ms 261 ,way more power and half the weight. Ms 261 is the bottom of the professional line but still way better than the top of the homeowners/ farm line. . I have them all,and the 362 and 391 just sit in the basement. That 261 will outperform both.

I put in a new propane boiler 10 years ago but this sure helps alot. I get nothing but free hardwood and with some manual labor sawing, splitting and stacking I'm good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpg
    IMG_1960.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 284
Our house is both electric and natural gas and we do pretty good during the winter. Driving will not be as often as the pump prices are going up. I suppose the old saying goes, "walking ain't crowded" :lol:

Pass on that 362 ,it's a heavy beast. Get a stihl ms 261 ,way more power and half the weight. Ms 261 is the bottom of the professional line but still way better than the top of the homeowners/ farm line. . I have them all,and the 362 and 391 just sit in the basement. That 261 will outperform both.

Good to know. I use a Stihl 461 on fires and storm blow down for work but not by choice.

Firewood permit - :laughing: Sorry GS I realize your location and now I understand.

Yeah hold on to your wallet, it’s gonna take “a lotta green to go green.”

Well it’s not so much Ca, it’s that I don’t live on enough acreage, so I get a 2 cord woodcutting permit from the national forest service, for like $30. I actually like going out into the woods. What I should do is bring the detector and try for some spots I can do both :lol:

Wow, sorry to hear that, over $600 4X a winter has got to be tough !

As far as gasoline, that is one reason why my wife and I am glad we bought a 2020 Prius Prime EV/Hybrid car last year.

We plug it in an outdoor outlet about 2 to 3 times a week and can go about 25 miles in "battery only" EV mode which is plenty for local driving in our small town as it would be rare for us to drive more than 25 miles locally in one day.

When we travel outside our local town to around the nearest big city (about 25 miles one way) we use the hybrid mode which uses a combination of battery power and gasoline power, we usually do that about twice a week now and overall for all our driving combined we effectively average about 90 miles per gallon.

As far as our house, it is electric only, no gas or propane, thankfully our local electric rates are not bad compared to what I heard some areas charge.

Hey G! Speaking of the Prius, we get many in the shop with stolen cat converters! There is a company that makes an antitheft metal plate to rivet onto the Prius body to eliminate theft.
The cat costs $1500 plus labor if stolen!!!

Well it’s not so much Ca, it’s that I don’t live on enough acreage, so I get a 2 cord woodcutting permit from the national forest service, for like $30. I actually like going out into the woods. What I should do is bring the detector and try for some spots I can do both :lol:

What forest and district? What is their detecting regs on forest land?

Hey G! Speaking of the Prius, we get many in the shop with stolen cat converters! There is a company that makes an antitheft metal plate to rivet onto the Prius body to eliminate theft.
The cat costs $1500 plus labor if stolen!!!

Thank for that alert and info metaladdict, it is appreciated !

I have heard of such theft of converters from other types of vehicles also, I think you might hear about more Prius cars out there in California because they sell a lot more of EV and Hybrid cars in "CARB" states than in non-CARB states. I have not heard of any problems in our immediate area since we live in a fairly small town, but I still have security cameras that alert my phone when they detect motion on our property and even automatically records video, but usually the only alerts I get other than my wife and I walking/driving onto or off our property and me walking our dog and a very occasional delivery, are alerts and video clips of deer, cats, squirrels and occasionally a bird :lol:

KT and the Queen designed and built the Royal Castle some 45 years ago. Unusual for this area, it has a 3/4 basement (the Dungeon) where is located the olde Royal wood furnace. It burns about 3 cords of wood each winter. When the outside temps are 40 degrees F or above, a dual heat pump system heats it. Using levellized billing, for the all electric system we pay less than $200 a month. The Castle was built to super insulated specs of 45 years ago. A central stairway for basement access in the winter acts as a chimney for the wood heat, preventing the electric heaters from kicking on whenever it is operating. Insulated double pane thermal glass windows with insulated curtains and the Castle being oriented facing south with most windows on the south side allow for solar heat gain in the winter, while 2 foot eves prevent the sunlight from entering during the summer. KT rarely purchased wood during the Royal Family's residency, having a 5 acre woodlot to draw from.

Locally, in central Arkansas, gasoline is generally trending presently around $2.14 a gallon. Typically gas is cheaper than most neighboring states, including Texas.

Our relatively winter mild climate...only a few really cold days each year and hot summers, requiring air conditioning in both house and vehicle, is one of the main reasons many people from Yankeeland move here to retire!

Back
Top Bottom