What is REDDIT?

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Okay, so it's something I wanted to check out and got frustrated with quite some time ago (years and years ago). Back in the day it seemed like wanna be hackers and adult oriented type stuff... I wasn't interested.

Now a ton of my searches these days take me to the reddit site and it seems like a huge forum(s) or something of that nature? So, can someone explain to me what exactly reddit is? Is it a take off of malicious sites like 4chan or silkroad?

And if it is totally legit and I won't have the feds on me anymore than they are (joke), how the heck do you use it? There seems to be no organization to it at all.

Its a lot of this and a lot of that... whatever you want to discuss you can do it there.. no I am not a member... sometimes I go there when I am bored :lol:

Okay, so it's something I wanted to check out and got frustrated with quite some time ago (years and years ago). Back in the day it seemed like wanna be hackers and adult oriented type stuff... I wasn't interested.

Now a ton of my searches these days take me to the reddit site and it seems like a huge forum(s) or something of that nature? So, can someone explain to me what exactly reddit is? Is it a take off of malicious sites like 4chan or silkroad?

And if it is totally legit and I won't have the feds on me anymore than they are (joke), how the heck do you use it? There seems to be no organization to it at all.

I'd call it a non-specified web-based forum. If there's a topic or hobby you are interested in, there's probably a "subreddit" for it. I think there's a list of all the subreddits *somewhere* -- yeah, it's lacking in organization IMO. The tone is generally light, and it seems like you can often get a relatively fast response from others with your interest, so it has that going for it. Being so wide open subject-wise, you may find topics you never even considered reading about. One time-suck I found was titled something like "find the sniper in this photo" -- then I spent a while :roll: searching for hidden objects in photographs...

It's like anywhere else, sign up, choose the subreddits you want to follow. I just browse it through pc web browser, haven't messed with the apps.

You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Reddit is a collection of thousands of sub-reddits (topic-based communities) and each one has its own members, community rules, moderators, etc... If you go looking for things you find offensive, then you are guaranteed to find them.

My problem with Reddit has more to do with the format of each sub-reddit than the content. Lots of ads mixed in and that same ever-scrolling format like Facebook, Twitter, etc.... It's fine if I want to pop in a sub-reddit and search for an answer or ask a question of my own. It's not something I want to keep up reading, much less get notifications. I prefer the discussion board format like the one we have here.

Reddit was good a few years ago. The creator then somehow managed to fly out of a window at MIT. Now run by a bunch of snowflakes and pulled a bunch of the subreddits down and said they offended this group or that group all the while screaming free speech. All the perverse subs are still there. If you comment on anything or disagree with someone you will be banned. Its full of whiners and malcontents.

So, basically, it's a web-based, unorganized forum created for the sole purpose of making the creator or owner money from adverts.

Roger

Reddit is a collection of thousands of sub-reddits (topic-based communities) and each one has its own members, community rules, moderators, etc... If you go looking for things you find offensive, then you are guaranteed to find them.

My problem with Reddit has more to do with the format of each sub-reddit than the content. Lots of ads mixed in and that same ever-scrolling format like Facebook, Twitter, etc.... It's fine if I want to pop in a sub-reddit and search for an answer or ask a question of my own. It's not something I want to keep up reading, much less get notifications. I prefer the discussion board format like the one we have here.
It was a quotation from a movie.

Reddit is run by some pretty horrible people, as HistoryHippy's post indicates. They also screwed the pooch with the new layout/format with the infinite scrolling and ad insertions. If you replace "www." with "old." in the URL, it gets a lot better. But you still have the issues with the horrible people, and how they will be happy to cancel you if you don't agree with their politics and narrative (and that applies regardless of what you're looking at seeming at all political).

It was a quotation from a movie.

Reddit is run by some pretty horrible people, as HistoryHippy's post indicates. They also screwed the pooch with the new layout/format with the infinite scrolling and ad insertions. If you replace "www." with "old." in the URL, it gets a lot better. But you still have the issues with the horrible people, and how they will be happy to cancel you if you don't agree with their politics and narrative (and that applies regardless of what you're looking at seeming at all political).

Yeah, I know it's a quote from a movie. I replied because I don't think it's an accurate or relevant one. You could say the same thing about the internet itself, but that doesn't make large parts of it not worth utilizing.

In general, I find it highly counterproductive to discuss politics, science and other potentially controversial topics with anonymous people online. It's an echo-chamber people use to strengthen their beliefs and practice their arguments for them. It's closed-minded and leads to radicalization.

I have no idea if the people who run Reddit are horrible or not, but I can imagine the difficulty that comes along with managing over 100,000 communities each with their own moderator(s), and many of those communities dealing with controversial topics.

What I do know is that there are thousands of sub-reddits a person could follow and never be exposed to, or even aware of, the patently offensive content. The person that started this discussion asked (in another discussion) for advice on what desktop-based accounting software is recommended for Mac, other than Quickbooks. I find it highly unlikely you'll find anything remotely controversial on the software, small business, and accounting subreddits one might visit to get an answer.

I don't know about that. 4chan certainly pushes more generally offensive content, but they seem to do it in an ironic way. And reddit is unapologetic about their pitchfork mob habit, whereas 4chan will straight up tell you that they are not your army.

Reddit is low effort garbage. 4chan is more degenerate.

Back
Top Bottom