• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Back at the townsite: 1st barber for the season, and another IHP!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Went back to the townsite again today and hunted 50/50 on the edge of the fields and in the hills. The first target extracted was a 1920D wheat, and then the #2 tool tag followed by the miners tag. I walked back to the truck for some water (I park it at the old parking lot for the company office & company store) and as I was heading back down to the field, i picked up a 21-22 signal on the NOX, and dug up the 1907 IHP in the parking lot.

Store.jpg
I park my truck just in front of where this vehicle was parked back in the day. Its all grass there now, and the only thing left are the 6x6 posts in the ground that mark the forward extent of the parking lot.

I didnt have much success where the grass was low by the road except for the organ reed. I went back to where I found 4 of the IHPs yesterday, and got a nice 24-27 several inches down. I dug it out and found a 1904 barber dime. My first barber of the year! As I walked up into the hills, I scored an aluminum disc that has nothing on it, then another one with writing on it and a small hole. The only word I can make out is "department". If anyone knows how to clean up grunge on aluminum, please let me know.

IMG_20220516_172049549 (2).jpg

While the digging at the edge of the field is easy, the rocks and grass roots on the hills make it labor intensive. After today I put 2 shopping items on the list: an aggressive shovel, and snake gaiters.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Nice finds. Keep diggin.

Thanks, Breed, and I sure will!

Love that photo. Like the tool/miner tags too, congrats on the Barber, IHP and wheat. Hope the AL token(s?) clean up.

Thanks GS!

good show. And I like the vintage photo to match it with.

Thanks Tom! The only buildings still there are the catholic church, the mine supervisors house, and a few small out buildings. Ill try to include pics of those when Im out there next. The church is really nice.

Congrats on the Barber, Ihp and other cool finds TJ. In my last post I dug a couple pretty crusty tokens. I had a little success using a pretty wet Brillo pad and not alot of down pressure. I did soak them with stainless cleaner first for an hour or so. Good luck. Mark

Congrats on the Barber, Ihp and other cool finds TJ. In my last post I dug a couple pretty crusty tokens. I had a little success using a pretty wet Brillo pad and not alot of down pressure. I did soak them with stainless cleaner first for an hour or so. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark, ill give it a try!

Your toughing it out Tom and getting some fine rewards for your efforts. Congrats on the Barber and another Indian. Trapper

Thanks Trapper!

Excellent recoveries there! Thanks for the pic and the backstory as well, it makes the recovery pics so much more meaningful.

Excellent recoveries there! Thanks for the pic and the backstory as well, it makes the recovery pics so much more meaningful.

Thanks Silverhorse!

Awesome finds and spot to hunt. Congrats.

Thanks Nick!

Nice finds. That’s great that you that old pic of the place your hunting.
Good luck on you next hunt.

Thanks MDM. The town was here for over 50 years, so theres a lot history on this place.

Back
Top Bottom