Best IHP day ever!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Today was the first day our permission started at the old coal mining townsite we hunted last year, unfortunately the weeds had a different plan as you can see looking north from the south edge of the townsite location.

IMG_20220515_140420858.jpg

Most of the field was thick with grass and broadleaf weeds. The grass by itself would have been OK, but with the broadleaf weeds mixed in made swinging a chore. I could only get about 3 to 5 inches off the ground with the coil, and after swinging a bit my arm got tired. I did bring my 6" coil, but I never set it up because I could swing easily along some of the edges, and in the hills above the townsite. I found part of the field on the other side of the road where the edge had about 10' of no weeds, so I decided to hunt there.

It wasnt long before I found my 1st IHP, then another, and another, until I found 4 within a 15' area, further along I found the 1938D buff and the #1 tool tag. As I headed back to the truck, I found the 5th IHP and a 1918 wheat on the hillside above the townsite. 1901, 1907, 1889, and I cant make out the dates on the other two....yet.

IMG_20220515_170735819_HDR (2).jpg

The last few days I hunted some other permissions. I found the butterfly and the crushed Wielands beer thimble from San Francisco (Late 1800's to early 1900s) at one site, the two junker rings at another, and the 1912 Canadian large cent at a 3rd.

IMG_20220515_171326679 (2).jpg

Thanks for looking, and HH!

I think you need to take a lawn mower with you if you go back Tommy. No Joke, I have actually done that at a permission. Congrats on the Indian Tribe and Buffalo. The relics from the earlier huts are pretty cool also. Trapper

That's what I call making hay out of a weed field! Some very nice finds there. And who says you can't find largies West of the Mississippi? They apparently just have to be Canadian largies:laughing:

Good show. And I like the location-shot of the actual terrain. Brings the viewer right there for the hunt objectives.

I think you need to take a lawn mower with you if you go back Tommy. No Joke, I have actually done that at a permission. Congrats on the Indian Tribe and Buffalo. The relics from the earlier huts are pretty cool also. Trapper

Thanks Trapper. Im not sure what the ranchers plan is, but Im just happy to have the permission again until Jul 1st. I was hoping he would let the cattle in for a feeding frenzie, or maybe bail it up for feed. To mow that thing would take a highway mower!

Congrats, nice bunch of finds! Looks like you're on to a good site, and hope you keep finding more goodies!

Thanks Gauntlet!

Very nice hunt!! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks CW!

Nice tribe, congrats on the Ihps, Buff, wheat and the other cool finds. Good luck on your return. Mark

Thanks Mark!

That's what I call making hay out of a weed field! Some very nice finds there. And who says you can't find largies West of the Mississippi? They apparently just have to be Canadian largies:laughing:

Thanks Silver!

Good show. And I like the location-shot of the actual terrain. Brings the viewer right there for the hunt objectives.

Thanks Tom. There were 60 houses in front of the shot, and out of the pic to the left by 1904.

Awesome hunt. Congrats on the indians and other cool finds. :thumbsup:

Thanks Nick!

Nice finds. Those weeds look pretty tall.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks TN! There are a few weedless spots there in the field, but not many.

I like the beer thimble! Fantastic pics and results, congrats on the IHP's and that old Canada cent and Buff!

Thanks GS!

Wow good job! I don't ever remember getting more than 3 IHP's in one hunt.

Thanks longbow. The field edges and the hills have rarely been hunted, so it was nice to find those IHPs.

good hunt! With those Indians and Buffalo you are almost certain to get some silver coins.
Keep at it.

Thanks Maxx. This is our second year here, and last year the field had almost no groundcover...and yes, we found a lot of silver, and I found a big 14K pin! The ranch gives us a window of opportunity, and this year it will end on July 1st. Not sure what their plan is with the weeds, but it has turned our attention to places we havent hunted. Which has been good for finding things!

Back
Top Bottom