Option to ignore shallow coins?

Diga

Elite Member
I'm after the deep old coins.

I could be totally wrong, especially when it comes to low signal coins on edge, but shouldn't we have a feature that ignores loud shallow targets?

Most detectors do it’s called audio response on the deus. Set it up where the shallow coins sound loud and the deeper coins are just a whisper. Most of your newer detectors have that feature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audio response. Listen for the softer signals. If I hear a loud 20-21 on the Nox in a park, I don't go after it.

Most detectors do it’s called audio response on the deus. Set it up where the shallow coins sound loud and the deeper coins are just a whisper. Most of your newer detectors have that feature

Deus and minelab fbs machines have that feature but not sure if any other machines do .. It's probably the best part of XP Deus and fbs that I like,all machines should have it tho.

.... shouldn't we have a feature that ignores loud shallow targets?

If I'm hunting turf (like manicured turf), where older coins tend to be deeper, and clad coins tend to be shallow, then yes: I pass shallow coins.

But there's not going to be any automated detector feature that can do that for you. You can only do it via audio, to ignore louder beeps. And hone in mentally for whispers that you like.

There was an attempt made, on a detector in the late '80s or early '90s, called the surface blanker, if I recall. Where it blanked (disc'd out) anything louder/shallower/bigger.

But it was fraught with problems. Because if you weren't quite centered over a shallow clad, you might momentarily catch the edge of it. And would get a signal. But the moment you tried to "center over it" (criss-cross), it would disappear. Since you were NOW on the middle/center loud part. So you'd go to ignoreit, and go back off to the sides. And presto, there it is again. When in fact you're just getting it again because you're catching the edge.

It was a dismal failure. Thus: Your only way to do it is with your own ears.

Deus and minelab fbs machines have that feature but not sure if any other machines do .. It's probably the best part of XP Deus and fbs that I like,all machines should have it tho.

You guys are talking about the opposite of an amplifier. Ie.: To "boost" the weak signals, versus just "letting them be weak".

There's a fine line to be walked here. Because, sure, we all want to hear deep signals "loud and clear". And the software can be made to "ring the bells of Notre Dame" on any signal (whether shallow or deep). But then the problem becomes, that you can no longer tell shallow vs deep.

Fisher had this on some of their machines, and it was very annoying. As if there was no differentiation on shallow vs deep coins.

Conversely, if a deep whisper is TOO faint, you might miss not hearing it.

The control on the Explorer II that deals with this, is the "gain". If you max it out at "10", then everything begins to sound the same (2" deep clad, versus 8" deep silver dime). That's nerve-wracking if you intend to pass clad.

And even locations where I'm in "relic mindset", I still like the happy compromise, so that I have immediate mental image of if I'm about to start a shallow hole vs a deep hole. As long as you're not set too low on the gain, a good ear will still hear everything you would have heard, with the gain maxed out.

I've always ran the explorer gain at 8 , so deeper targets were well pronounced..as for shallow clad that's easy to skip over with a fbs, minelab fbs are the only machines I've ever used that had a depth meter that actually worked.

I'm after the deep old coins.

I could be totally wrong, especially when it comes to low signal coins on edge, but shouldn't we have a feature that ignores loud shallow targets?

Cant you simply look at the depth indicator on whatever machine you have and ignore those signals that are in whatever depth range you dont like.

Thats what I would do on the Nox.

My AT Pro has that. The "Pro" in the name stands for Proportional, not that I'm any kind of "pro." For every target you will get the same low, mid, or high tone, just softer if it is deeper. I don't need that depth gauge, don't even look at it. The sharpness and sound volume of the signal tell me all I need to know about depth.

You guys are talking about the opposite of an amplifier. Ie.: To "boost" the weak signals, versus just "letting them be weak".

There's a fine line to be walked here. Because, sure, we all want to hear deep signals "loud and clear". And the software can be made to "ring the bells of Notre Dame" on any signal (whether shallow or deep). But then the problem becomes, that you can no longer tell shallow vs deep.

Fisher had this on some of their machines, and it was very annoying. As if there was no differentiation on shallow vs deep coins.

Conversely, if a deep whisper is TOO faint, you might miss not hearing it.

The control on the Explorer II that deals with this, is the "gain". If you max it out at "10", then everything begins to sound the same (2" deep clad, versus 8" deep silver dime). That's nerve-wracking if you intend to pass clad.

And even locations where I'm in "relic mindset", I still like the happy compromise, so that I have immediate mental image of if I'm about to start a shallow hole vs a deep hole. As long as you're not set too low on the gain, a good ear will still hear everything you would have heard, with the gain maxed out.

That’s what the depth meter is for lol besides if it’s super shallow it will double beep

How deep are you wanting to go to ignore targets? I have found old coins a lot less then 4" deep and zinc pennies at 8" deep so deeper coins don't always mean older.

For where I detect target separation is more important then depth.

How deep are you wanting to go to ignore targets? I have found old coins a lot less then 4" deep and zinc pennies at 8" deep so deeper coins don't always mean older.

For where I detect target separation is more important then depth.

Yeah, I'm not following this either. Just a couple weeks ago I'd found a '16 Merc on the surface. I've also found Barbers the same way.

What am I missing here? I guess much of it hinges on where you hunt?

That’s what the depth meter is for lol besides if it’s super shallow it will double beep

Still got mine LOL.

I love the feature Audio Response on the Deus. When I hunt the city park It keeps me from having to look at the display all the time.

Attachments

• Bluebird-HP.jpg
    Bluebird-HP.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 318
Back in the 1980's Bounty Hunter Big Bud detectors had a feature called "surface blanking". When it was activated nothing from surface to two inches deep would sound off. It wasn't a very popular option and disappeared rather quickly.

Back in the 1980's Bounty Hunter Big Bud detectors had a feature called "surface blanking". When it was activated nothing from surface to two inches deep would sound off. It wasn't a very popular option and disappeared rather quickly.

I referred to that in my post #5 on this thread. Yes, it was fraught with problems.

I'm really bad about passing on loud presumably shallow targets. I actually missed a Ben Franklin half (Which I've yet to dig.) one time because it was fairly shallow and obviously loud. My buddy got it. I don't like missing silver for dumb reasons. Ear fatigue can get you if you aren't careful. I'm always listening for the high tone whispers. Your heartbeat automatically increases a little every time you hear one.

This maybe common knowledge for most, but when I first get out at any new spot I try to figure out how deep the old stuff is going to be. If you automatically think silver is going to be 5"-6" inches minimum you might miss stuff. There is a area where I live and all the old coins are shallow. Other parts of town the old coins are deep in every yard. Old being late 1800's and early 1900's. IHP's, V's, Seated, Barbers, like 3" deep. It does not make any sense at all. I have found a few IHP's and V nickels literally just an inch deep in a yard under some really old trees.

Worn silver rings low. I've been bit on those myself. Those you think are a little to shallow or border line for silver depth. If you look at my buddies finds and mine he will always have more modern coins in his pile. He calls me a penny snob. No I'm a shallow coin snob if you want to know the truth, but he occasionally gets a worn silver behind me because I passed it up thinking it was a shallow penny. I guess I play the averages to dig less.

To find it all you have to dig it all, but even with me that has not fully soaked in yet.

Still got mine LOL. ...

The Depthmaster was nothing more than an audio amplifier. It connected between the machine and the headphones.

There was the common misconception that this device was somehow increasing depth. It was not. All it did was increase the volume, of WHAT YOU WERE ALREADY HEARING !

So unless you had a lousy pair of headphones, with wimpy volume, this device didn't do anything. And if volume was an issue, why not simply go buy a better pair of headphones ? :?: Doh ! :roll:

I've only been in this hobby for a few years, however some of my best old coins have been surprisingly shallow. Both my seated half dimes were barely 3" deep. The first one I found was in a field where I had been digging copper and zinc pennies and I almost skipped digging it as it sounded like another shallow zinc penny. My last IHP was also very shallow.

So listen for those deep whispers, but pass the good shallow targets at your own risk as they can be good.

I've only been in this hobby for a few years, however some of my best old coins have been surprisingly shallow. Both my seated half dimes were barely 3" deep. The first one I found was in a field where I had been digging copper and zinc pennies and I almost skipped digging it as it sounded like another shallow zinc penny. My last IHP was also very shallow.

So listen for those deep whispers, but pass the good shallow targets at your own risk as they can be good.

For relicky environments (and certain types of terrain), SURE ! But for stratified normal park turf : No. There is lots of turf where it's almost a given that : a) New coins are going to be shallow, and b) old coins are going to be deep.

To the extent that , sure, there are "exceptions", then that's a little like saying this : When you're in Las Vegas playing blackjack, and you have 20 in your hand, do you Take another hit from the dealer ? Or do you "hold" ? Because, after all, the next card MIGHT be a 1 card or an Ace card. Hence you'd be foolish not to take another hit, eh ? OF COURSE NOT ! Because the odds are, it's not going to be a 1 or an ace.

So too can the same be said of turf where ages/depths are heavily correlated : If you go into "strip-mine mentality" (after all, an old coin might be shallow), then you will end the day with 100 clad and a single wheatie. But if you concentrate only the deepies, you'll end the day with 10 or 12 oldies, and a few clad that fooled ya. Which would you rather have ? :?:

But sure: This tactic doesn't work when you're in a spot that has no correlation of depth-to-age.

Back
Top Bottom