• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

68 Coins In Three Hour Hunt

diggin4clad

Elite Member
On Saturday I hit a large soccer field for three hours and dug 68 clads with a face value of $11.52. The best finds were a pair of dollar coins.

Attachments

• IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1414 (2).JPG
    IMG_1414 (2).JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 297
Nice score, D4C! 68 coins? Not including the junk? My back aches just thinking about that.

Did you hunt only the non, actual playing field, or everything? I seldom hunt the play surface at soccer fields.

Did you hunt only the non, actual playing field, or everything? I seldom hunt the play surface at soccer fields.

I hunt the entire field. There's always a good amount of coins along the chalk lines. There are actually three different fields on this site.
One is a large regulation size and the other two are smaller and must be for younger kids. The photo is somewhat deceiving because the surface of these fields is not really in great shape. The only area that isn't beaten down is the spot at the far end of the field near the tree. This was my sixth time here since last December and there's still a small area I haven't touched yet.

I hunt the entire field. There's always a good amount of coins along the chalk lines. There are actually three different fields on this site.
One is a large regulation size and the other two are smaller and must be for younger kids. The photo is somewhat deceiving because the surface of these fields is not really in great shape. The only area that isn't beaten down is the spot at the far end of the field near the tree. This was my sixth time here since last December and there's still a small area I haven't touched yet.

Am I cheating myself by staying out of the actual play fields? It has always seemed like asking for trouble to poke around in sports fields unless it was a dilapidated practice field. Just asking. I may have to change my method, and there are so many fields I left untouched for a decade.

I may be too shy.

Am I cheating myself by staying out of the actual play fields? It has always seemed like asking for trouble to poke around in sports fields unless it was a dilapidated practice field. Just asking. I may have to change my method, and there are so many fields I left untouched for a decade.

I may be too shy.

I limit myself to old dilapidated fields as well for the same reason .

Nice going on another great clad haul DFG ! Those big Ike Dollars are a real thrill for me , I've managed to find two in my career .

I may be too shy.

I use my judgement based on the condition of the playing area. Just about all of the soccer fields in my neck of the woods are pretty well trampled so I have no problem hunting them. Once in a great while I'll come across one that has a well manicured "putting green" surface and I'll only hunt the perimeter. Sounds as if you have a lot of potential by going back to those places and hunting the inner parts of the field. Good Luck.....

I limit myself to old dilapidated fields as well for the same reason .

Nice going on another great clad haul DFG ! Those big Ike Dollars are a real thrill for me , I've managed to find two in my career .

Thanks SS.......most of the soccer and baseball fields around here are in what I call "digging condition" so I hunt the entire area. I've found three Ikes in my time. I started detecting in 1983 and didn't find one until 2020, then one in 2021 and now this one. Oddly enough, I found three silver dollars, two Morgans and a Peace, before I found my first IKE.

MY KNEES!!!! :laughing:

Someone needs to write a song about you... "I'm just a clad machine, and I don't dig for nobody but clad"

iu

I'd dug an Ike several years ago, I carry it as a good luck charm. It's the one with the Liberty Bell and Moon on the reverse ('84?). It's so smooth all you can see is Ike and the bell/moon, everything else is smooth.

Congrats on another cladfest! :lol:

MY KNEES!!!! :laughing:

Someone needs to write a song about you... "I'm just a clad machine, and I don't dig for nobody but clad"

iu

I'd dug an Ike several years ago, I carry it as a good luck charm. It's the one with the Liberty Bell and Moon on the reverse ('84?). It's so smooth all you can see is Ike and the bell/moon, everything else is smooth.

Congrats on another cladfest! :lol:
Thanks Gauntlet.....
My knees don't bother me after doing a lot of digging because I only get down on one knee and I wear a thick knee pad on the "down" leg.
The song could start off like this.....
When I dig a coin, it makes me glad...
Even if it's only clad.....
I dig those clads until year's end....
Then cash them in and spend, spend, spend. :money:
Your Ike with the moon on the reverse is a Bicentennial issue which were minted in both 1975 and 1976 but were all dated 1976. The early 1975's had thick letters on the reverse but the design was altered in mid year to thinner lettering. Some IKES were minted in 40% silver but were only available in sets from the mint.
Though most of my finds are clad I do find the occasional item worth doing a "happy dance" over but I can tell you one thing......even as old as I am, I can dance WAY better than Elaine Benes :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom